New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Supplies

Supplies Find premier source of great prices and selection on quality supplies. This is not a place to post a great deal from a supplier. Such threads should be posted in 'For Sale'--'Ribbon, Bows and More' or 'Everything Else' --'Coupons And Deals' sub-forums

Old 02-13-2010, 11:08

Default how to find an overseas supplier?

Hi ladies
i have been looking at finding wholesalers for both cloth diapers and craft supplies and i am seeing alot of people talk about their contacts overseas. how are you finding them if you dont mind me asking?
I found alot on alibaba.com but the site makes me nervous and the shipping is outrageous for alot of the things. i am looking for a good cloth diaper wholesaler and if you guys could give me a rough "how to overseas guid" pretty please! it would help me weed through all the quotes I had received. Thanks ladies you are the best!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 02-13-2010, 11:29

Default Re: how to find an overseas supplier?

I don't know what your situation is, but keep in mind that shipping is always going to be a lot cheaper if you have it sent on the boat (although it has recently been increased quite a bit). It will be even cheaper if you get a container.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:28

how do you get it when it is shipped from a boat? I dont live near a port so is it mailed to me from the port?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:10

As for getting items if they are shipped via boat or air they will be delivered to you by a carrier like UPS or someone like that. You don't need to be anywhere near the water.
As for finding the suppliers you will not get a lot of direction. Personally it has taken me 2 years of searching & I am still working on it daily to find suppliers that I like & will use. Finding the suppliers is an extremely time consuming thing. You also have to drop some money to get samples to make sure you like the products which can get expensive after a while.

I am not saying this to be mean or anything like that but just being honest about it.

Beth
Old 02-15-2010, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmombeth View Post
As for getting items if they are shipped via boat or air they will be delivered to you by a carrier like UPS or someone like that. You don't need to be anywhere near the water.
As for finding the suppliers you will not get a lot of direction. Personally it has taken me 2 years of searching & I am still working on it daily to find suppliers that I like & will use. Finding the suppliers is an extremely time consuming thing. You also have to drop some money to get samples to make sure you like the products which can get expensive after a while.

I am not saying this to be mean or anything like that but just being honest about it.

Beth
Ditto! It is a lot of work to find suppliers. I will say that I try to use sea shipping whenever possible. But the process is different for each supplier. I think most suppliers just ship it out and do all the paperwork and everything for you. The supplier I used for my buy would not do this, she told me if I wanted to go by sea I needed to find my own courier once the items arrived at the US seaport. I dont recommend this, it was a big pain and TONS of paperwork.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:18

its soo much research...Im still looking...if i find anythingI will post you to help you out at all..Im in the sameboat as you, no pun intended lol
Old 02-17-2010, 10:38

There are a lot is issues when purchasing internationally. You need freight from the factory, freight insurance, customs clearance which includes bonding, and freight to you. Some vendors will ship door to door those are the ones you want. Volume always determines price. An ocean container comes in 45', 40' and 20' boxes and is always cheaper than airfreight. You can have comingled goods which lessens your freight cost becuase they take several small orders and load into one container. Vendors who ship LTL (Less than Load) goods frequently do this. Once the freight arrives in the US it must clear US Customs and you need a customs broker for this transaction. There are duties and taxes to be paid. Again Door to Door covers this service because a freight forwarder/broker will handle the transaction on both ends. Once cleared, you have to have the goods transported to you. If you don't get the proper set up on the front end, you can end up with a couple of thousand you didn't anticipate. I know all of this because I have a retired US Customs License and was a broker/freight forwarder.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:19

Thank you everyone!! I am going to look back through my quotes now since I know some of the terminology now!!
thanks so much everyone for the information
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg