key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Supplies

Supplies Find premier source of great prices and selection on quality supplies. This is not a place to post a great deal from a supplier. Such threads should be posted in 'For Sale'--'Ribbon, Bows and More' or 'Everything Else' --'Coupons And Deals' sub-forums

Old 08-24-2008, 02:34

Default Disney Bottlecap Images...Legal/Illegal???

Ok so I have seen a ton of people either selling Disney Images or selling bows with disney bottlecap images. Before I go buying these images for my bottlecaps can someone who KNOWS tell me if these images are illegal or not. I don't know how so many people use these images and not get caught....they are all over the place. Also if anyone can respond with some people/places that sell images place forward that as well! Thank you for your responses!
Sponsored Links
hip girl boutique LLC forum advertisement--pink-lily-wholesale
Old 08-24-2008, 02:39

Default Re: Disney Bottlecap Images...Legal/Illegal???

Do a search on this...there are many threads of people discussing the pros and cons of doing Disney stuff.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by geboraco@sbcglobal.net View Post
Do a search on this...there are many threads of people discussing the pros and cons of doing Disney stuff.
Unfortunately I have done a lot of searching already. It doesnt appear that in the threads I have read people have said for sure either way if its legal or not. Can anyone help?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:05

I guess you have to form your own opinion based on the older posts. Also go to Etsy :: Your place to buy and sell all things handmade to the forums- they discuss it there too.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:19

I would think that people are downloading these images which would make them infringing. If you were to use a licensed disney sticker on a bottle cap and use the proper title and disclaimer so no one thought you were selling a licensed product then you should be ok.

Images downloaded or done up by hand by someone are going to be IMHO infringement.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:13

I've actually purchase bottlecaps from Joanns that have disney character's on them, so IMO this would be okay.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:12

From what I have read it is okay to buy Disney bottle caps at a craft store but it is against the law to make the bottle cap images by copying Disney photos and then turning those into bottle caps and placing them on bows.
If many people made there own Disney bottle caps then the ones Disney sells would have a loss in profit. They claim it as copyright infringement.
People still make the images and sell the caps but if they get caught there is a hefty fine.

Someone on here said she new a lady who hand painted Disney images in her childs room. Some one came by and saw the painting on the wall and they worked for Disney and she got fined! ( Now I think that is over the top ).
If you make something for your own child and not to sell I think it should be okay.

I try to stay away for Disney princess images etc,. but I am not sure but images like Gymboree. People make ribbon and images to match those lined often.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:41

If the products are disney, they are intended for personal use. Selling them would be unlawful. For example, if you were to embroider disney's mickey mouse and use it for your child that would be ok....if you sell it that would be wrong. But, who says you can't sell a hair bow and give a free disney embellishment with the purchase of that hair bow....
Old 07-18-2009, 09:55

I ran into this actually last year. I had bought about 20 disney princess bottlecaps from ebay. I used it with a bow that was in a shop that sells handmade items by other crafters. I wanted to see how it would sell before I offered bottlecap bows to my regular boutique shops. I had the bows in there for about 2 weeks and I got called in asking my bows to be removed. What I was told was I needed to get Disney's permission to use any exact pictures of their characters. Pretty much, disney has the copyright of their images of the characters and their names. I stopped making bottle caps with any disney characters. If you look online, there's plenty to read on how they're cracking down with copyright infingements. Honestly, I see almost every craft show that there's someone selling disney characters especially the new tween idols, that is up to you to take that chance encounter with someone that would report you.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:05

So what about the padded "Mickey" mouse appliques?
Sponsored Links