60% Off--Tulle
80% Off--Tulle

60% Off--Felt
80% Off--Felt
70% Off--Crochet Hats
70% Off--Crochet Hats
50% Off--Crochet Headbands
50% Off--Crochet Headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Sew A Lot > Sewing project gallery

Sewing project gallery Show them off :)

Old 02-05-2008, 05:47

Default Re: My new hobby

When you say "About the arm holes: yes - I use seam binding and it was quite the challange at first but I'm pretty good now. It was just a matter of practice" are you talking about that Wrights binding like bias tape or what? I am not seeing in your picture how the seams look different on the outside of the dress. I think I see where it looks like a solid brown at eh edge on the brown/blue but not sure.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 02-05-2008, 06:45

Do love the dresses, sent you a pm!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:03

Just wanted to say that your dresses are beautiful!!

I envy all of you that can sew. I can't even sew a straight line to save my life. I have a 10 month old that I would love to make these for!

I hope you have a lot of luck selling these.

Angelia
Old 02-05-2008, 08:20

They are beautiful. I have alot of practicing to do. I hope mine look as good as yours someday.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:31

I love those!!! How old is too old for a little girl to wear them?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:41

Quote:
When you say "About the arm holes: yes - I use seam binding and it was quite the challange at first but I'm pretty good now. It was just a matter of practice" are you talking about that Wrights binding like bias tape or what? I am not seeing in your picture how the seams look different on the outside of the dress. I think I see where it looks like a solid brown at eh edge on the brown/blue but not sure.
Yes - You actually put the seam/bias tape (my mom calls it seam binding) on the inside - it is hidden to make a smooth and strong arm hole. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow in the sunlight and post here. My original pc dress did not have this and the one I ordered off ebay did and I really liked the more finished look. Totally worth the effort.

I also treat the inside seam with fray check so it will not pull. I wish I had a serger - but I want an embroidery machine first!

I find it as therapy and a cool hobby to go along with my latest obesssion - bow making.

Thanks again! You guys are the best!

Amanda
Old 02-05-2008, 10:02

Those dresses are adorable! I would love to learn to make one of those.

Tina
Old 02-05-2008, 11:07

Smile Re: My new hobby

Your dresses are beautiful!!!! I really hope mine start to look like that soon. would you be willing to share your size measurements? I really have no idea, I just measured my dd to make her one, but I'm not sure how long they should be for larger or smaller sizes.
I made my first 2 prototypes over the weekend, but will have to try the seam binding stuff...I wasn't sure how to use it. I also need a sewing machine (and a sewing teacher!) as I've been doing it all by hand. Here is a picture of the first one I made, and I also made one for my dd's favorite baby doll for our trip to Babyland General Hospital. For those of you not in GA, that's where Cabbage Patch Kids "come from" and is not far from where we live. It's not so cute on the inside, but I thought this picture was adorable and I've been doing better now that I've had some practice. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eden and Baby.jpg (33.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-05-2008, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Settlefamily View Post
Yes - You actually put the seam/bias tape (my mom calls it seam binding) on the inside - it is hidden to make a smooth and strong arm hole. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow in the sunlight and post here. My original pc dress did not have this and the one I ordered off ebay did and I really liked the more finished look. Totally worth the effort.

I also treat the inside seam with fray check so it will not pull. I wish I had a serger - but I want an embroidery machine first!

I find it as therapy and a cool hobby to go along with my latest obesssion - bow making.

Thanks again! You guys are the best!

Amanda
You can use my embroidery machine and my serger anytime you want if you make my daughter a dress!!! I am just on the other side of Atlanta
Old 02-05-2008, 11:21

I love, love, love those!!!!! The pink and brown is my favorite. Do you mind my asking where you got your instructions? I would love to learn to make those for my daughters! Adorable...you did a great job!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg