http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:09

Default To Sell or Not to Sell...that is the Question?

Ok, so I made something pretty awesome! I'd rather not say just yet what it is but I can tell you that is is a Bow Holder. Still working on perfecting the design. Buts its pretty darn good! Problem is, Im afraid if I post it for sale on Etsy...other crafters will start copying me and then undercut my business. So what do I do? Do I post it and sell it, risking the chance of being copied. Or do I only make them and sell at the few local events that I exhibit at each year and let this be my little treasure?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 10-20-2011, 05:13

Default Re: To Sell or Not to Sell...that is the Question?

A friend of mine was just talking about this problem! I say you go for it and sell them on Etsy. I think you need to be sure to have lots of stock and varity so you can corner the market. There will always be people who copy you so it doesn't really matter if you sell them around town or on Etsy eventually they will be copeied. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by breesy23 View Post
...There will always be people who copy you so it doesn't really matter if you sell them around town or on Etsy eventually they will be copeied. Good luck!
Good point.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:58

I agree no matter where you sell them someone will try to copy your idea. I say go for it!! Good luck!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05

I saw go for it, just be prepared for those that copy you.
As long as you it will happen, maybe you won't be as sad when it does happen.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:26

Humm.... if it's truly unique I'd go ahead and sell it on etsy..AND try to make some hype for the product, like having a good blogger blog about the new product ect.... I'd want it to get as much press as I could just so the world knew it was my original idea, and it would date the product as well, so everyone who gets "inspired" by your bow holder cannot claim the design as their own.

Don't worry about the ones who will copy your product, If its good...people will copy...or be "inspired" by it. I'm sure there are only a few crafters who ONLY sell original ideas that were not inspired by something they saw.

Good luck and like the poster above said ...make sure to have lots of varieties so you corner the market. I can't wait to see your bow holder!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotsfortots View Post
I agree no matter where you sell them someone will try to copy your idea. I say go for it!! Good luck!
This exactly! Every year I have to come up with something new because someone from the year before saw what was selling like crazy at my booth & they always copy it the next year.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:25

I came up with an idea and had to make this same decision. I decided not to sell online but to only sell at local shows, at least for now. I did very well with my idea at my first show, in fact I all but sold out. That proved to me my idea was a good one. I am working on refining my concept and making more for my next shows.

Your idea will no longer be yours once you post online, so just remember that.

Wholesale site: http://www.zibbet.com/TheCraftCorner
Old 10-21-2011, 08:44

maybe look into getting it patented before you post or sell it anywhere..so if anyone does copy you have the rights to it and to tell them that is not allowed..
Old 10-21-2011, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannasuniquecreations View Post
maybe look into getting it patented before you post or sell it anywhere..so if anyone does copy you have the rights to it and to tell them that is not allowed..
that's what I was going to say Once you post it or put it in the public it will be copied! Just know that.

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Sponsored Links