Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:06
Default Re: Best Cutting System???

Well for the money, if I knew then what I know know, and before I purchased 6 cutters, machines from either of these companies would have been my top picks.

Black Cat Cougars

Dawn, Sherry and Rach are the customer service team for this company and they are 100% golden.

Klic N Kut

Sandy, Chad and Fred are your rep for this company and they are 100% golden as well.

now with the exception of the Zing you will find the machines offered by these 2 companies to be very similiar. So you can't lose going with either one. The BC-Lnyx vs the KNK Groove, or the BC Cougars vs the KNKMax.

The cutters I would choose from next and in "buy" order are

The KNK Zing at $400-link is above. With this one since I have no first hand knowledge, I am going strictly by the reputation of the manufactor and software developer. Since this machine hasn't been released yet, as much as I trust the company behind it, I want to see it in action and see the reviews of actual user. I am excited about this cutter.

The Boss Kutz Gazalle- $400-450 -
I do have this one. Terry is your customer service rep and like the others is 100%. I tried cutting some unstiffed felt but didn't have great results, but I have to admit I didn't prep things and did set the cutter up to fail. I'll give it another shot. Here's my pitiful blog fabric cutting project-, eventually I'll get back to it, but I only created it for the MTC blog hop.

The Pazzles Inspiration $600, but check out the $99.00 promo. Klo is your guru for this one. Geez, even though I do not need this cutter it is so hard to pass up with this promo. For anyone using the Cricut, this is the machine most like it but without the cartridges. The blade housing is actually the same as the Cricut deep cut blade, Pazzles help Provo develope this cutter. Pazzles cutting ability surpasses Cricuts.

Most of cutters above can/do come with a modified version of winsignpc/funtime software-specific to the cutter.(the Zing only comes with make the cut, the BC's can be purchased without any software) But what I love about it, is that all work Make The Cut Software. If you have read my other post, you may get sick of me saying it, BUT...I absolutely love this software.

As for finding designs there are thousands upon thousands of images out there. For free and to purchase Only thing is that some sellers have limitations on usage, i.e.-they don't want you to use their images on items you sell. So check the terms of use before buying.

This is my absolute favorite place for cute clipart, - Trina is the owner of this site and guess what, she's a 100% golden!!! Once you buy the clipart you can pretty much use it as you want. She has a very liberal commercial use policy. With MTC these can quickly be made into appliques. If you can digitize they'll make excellent embroidery files.

Last edited by Paupau; 08-12-2011 at 08:13.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2011, 08:44

I started out with a cricut, and like paupau, i am now totally against provo craft. I have a gazelle now and i love it! Trust me if you ever start vinyl it is addicting!!!!!! I def dont recomment a cricut, your sooooo limited!!! Get something that you can use a different software with! (i highly recommend MTC) I have made a lot of money doing vinyl, because with mtc i can design and cut anything i want!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:37

What is THE best for felt? I have read several threads about good cutters but haven't found a definitive answer about just felt.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:26

Originally Posted by Paupau View Post
If you look back through this topic I've made a few post about electronic cutters and software. My lastest post was about the soon to be released Zing. This looks to be a very promising cutter. The customer service reputation of the machine distributor and the software developer is TOP notch.

Many users are happy with the Cricut but I have to say, Just don't do it. Honestly, if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have purchased it.There are other cutters that cost a little more up front but in the long run will be less than the Cricut. The Cricut is limited to the art work on the cartridges, so you may find you have to spend $16-$49.00 or more for a cartridge and only use a couple of images. If you look at some of the other software available, you'll see the Design Studio is lacking. I recently completed an order of 32 custom designed shirts with Heat Transfer Vinyl, a screen printed fraternity/greek design, designed a memorial decal, vinyled a beverage dispenser and etch some water bottles and mugs. I could not design any of these using the images or fonts from the Cricut cartridges. because they don't exist.

I hope I don't offend anyone.

I am also going to admit that I am truly biased against Provo Craft and the Cricut eventhough I have 2. If you want design freedom choose a different machine, especially if you want to branch into rhinestones or heat transfer vinyl.

Here's something to think about!/BoycottProvoCraft?sk=wall#!/photo.php?fbid=10150321513840516&set=o.10503841957 8758&type=1&theater

Thank You for this! It help to make my decision also.
I am a proud military mom. I cry, I love, and I pray while my soldiers protect us.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:00

I know this is an older topic, but I'm going to chime in. I have a Sizzix Big Kick and I LOVE it. I didn't want to (nor could I afford to) spend several hundred dollars on a cutting system. I just wanted something I could use to cut felt for headbands and clips, and I have been so happy with it. I think it's usually around $100, but I got it one week when they were on sale for 40% off at Michael's. It cuts felt perfectly -- I've even had it cut the cheap, eco craft felt with no problems, and I know a lot of people have issues with that with some cutters. Wool felt cuts like a dream. I have even cut vinyl (faux leather, not peel-and stick vinyl) with it with no problem. I would recommend it to anyone!
DCBaby Gifts and Accessories!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:28

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering the same thing!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:45

I have the first generation Cricut machine and I love it! When I don't want to get our my Cricut, I use my Sizzix Big Kick. Both are great IMO.
I don't skinny dip, I chunky dunk

Boutique It Up Secret group now, message me to join!!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:57

I have the Big Shot - Use this a lot with sizzix ,cuttlebug and any other steel die to cut felt always use wool blend felt as it makes a cleaner cut.

Craft Robo- Love this and there are loads of free designs out there for this machine but it wont cut thick card very well and I dont think it will cut felt.
KlickNKut this cut thicker material and also felt, only just realise this so i will have to have a goagain lots of free designs.

For Robo & KlickNKut try
It is in French but easy to navigate.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:59

lots of good info here
marking for reading later
be a part of WholesaleGroupBuys
Old 10-12-2011, 12:01

I have the Sizzix Big Shot and I love, love LOVE it! I tend to be intimidated trying out new machines, but this one was super easy. From the time I took it out of the box and had my first cut felt shape in my hand, it was probably 5 minutes total--the very first time! It cuts the felt I use very well, and I've even tried it with other brands' dies and it works great! Definitely worth the money, in my opinion. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
little pink ladybug