printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:17

Default Wood burning tool?

I finally bought a wood burning tool to cut my ribbon. I can't believe that I have been trying to seal ends with a lighter this whole time. The only problem is that after using it for a week, it isn't cutting very cleanly (if that makes any sense). It leaves this really thin plastic looking edge behind. I tried the different tips that came with it, and it seems as though the thin pointy one works the best. I bought it from walmart for $7, so I guess you get what you pay for. I know I am not explaining myself very well, but I would appreciate any tips you guys could give me on how best to use this thing, or what would be a better one to buy?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 09:24

Default Re: Wood burning tool?

Mine does that to, I figured out it's the way I was cutting it You'll have to play around with different angles in cutting it. I also use a glass cutting board to cut on, seems to help me. I'm sure others will share some tips too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieLenny View Post
I finally bought a wood burning tool to cut my ribbon. I can't believe that I have been trying to seal ends with a lighter this whole time. The only problem is that after using it for a week, it isn't cutting very cleanly (if that makes any sense). It leaves this really thin plastic looking edge behind. I tried the different tips that came with it, and it seems as though the thin pointy one works the best. I bought it from walmart for $7, so I guess you get what you pay for. I know I am not explaining myself very well, but I would appreciate any tips you guys could give me on how best to use this thing, or what would be a better one to buy?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58

I use glass underneath mine as well - I also work on a wood top bench, so I am constantly scraping it off and burning into the wood to get the gunk off - that seems to help me keep straight, clean lines.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:22

I use glass under mine too.

I also 'wipe' off the tip every so often (it has to be done while the tip is hot so be careful!

I have a cheap wood buring tool too and I've had mine for close to 2 years.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:01

I Have just tried to use my wood burning tool and it did not seem to cut the ribbon, can you only seal the ends maybe? I was trying to cut and seal at the same time with it. Is this possible and which tip do you use.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:37

What I do is use a cheape picture frame. I tape the lenghts of ribbon I use on the back of the glass. That way whem I cut I dont have to measure.
You do have to scrape gunk off the tip every now and again to get clean lines. Ive been using my $12 Michaels one for over a year and just replaced the tip recently.
I havent mastered cutting korker ribbon yet though, cant seem to figure that one out.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:55

I am scared of mine...lol my hubby went and bought me one and I havent taken it out of the box yet. I guess I need to get it out and try it.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:58

How do you guys cut the "dove tails" or V-cuts in the ribbons with the wood burning tool.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:46

Im not sure what everyone else does but i fold mine in half then cut an angle but you have to be careful or your ribbon will fuse together.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:47

I bet there's an easier (and faster) way of doing this than the way I do, but here's how I do mine:

I use an air-soluable marker and I mark on the ribbon where I want to cut. Then I take my trusty metal ruler and CAREFULLY line it up. I start at the bottom of the "V" (where the two lines connect) and drag the wood burning tool to the edge of the ribbon. Then I reposition my ruler for the second line. Again, I start where the lines connect and go out.

I finally made several templates for myself that are for all sizes of ribbons and for different angles for the cuts. Now I just lay my template down on my ribbon, mark the ribbon and then I start cutting. No more measuring!!!

I hope this makes sense.

Another way I sometimes do it is if it doesn't have to be perfect, I carefully cut the "V" with a pair of scissors - ribbon folded, one cut. Then I get my cigarette lighter and I have the ribbon folded lengthwise (like how I originally cut it) , BUT THE EDGES ARE NOT TOUCHING! I then lightly run the flame over the edge. If the edges are touching, they will melt together and then you've got a big mess.

I hope this one makes sense too.

If you need any clarification, let me know. I tried to explain the best I could.

Debora
Sponsored Links