http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:04

Default Now I hate my glue gun!

I am sensing a trend here, first my knots and now my gun. I promise I am NOT a negative person Just a frustrated one at the moment. When I first started this I was making them for my DD and only had my cheapo low temp glue gun. When I decided to try to sell them, I didn't want to risk them coming apart so bought a high temp one. I noticed alot of people just used the cheapo ones so I picked one up at dollar general one day. It is horrible. Leaks like nobody's business. I feel like I am wasting more glue in pools from leakage. YUK! So I went back to my low temp one for the moment still a little paranoid about it though. Will a more expensive one leak less/work better? I am not able to justify a huge expense but can probably spring about 20 bucks. Will it make a difference?

Thanks so much for your help, and I promise, my next post will be something POSITIVE!!!
Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2011, 12:08

Default Re: Now I hate my glue gun!

I have a high temp and a low temp glue gun. i really prefer my low temp. The high temp leaks glue and it is so hot it will leave burns on you if you get it on you. Sometimes it bleeds through the ribbon. i just use my low temp but use alittle more than usual. hth
Old 02-02-2011, 12:16

I dislike the low temp glue guns. I have seen too many things come apart fromt he low temps. I use a high temp glue gun. I have purchased the 5 or 7 dollar ones from Walmart. In the 3 years I have been doig this I have gone through 2. Definently worth it! It does leak a little glue when I first start it. But nothing major. Yeah you do burn yourself a bit but it is worth it when you have a beautiful bow in front of you. Beauty hurts!!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:21

I got the one from the dollar store, and YES they are way TOO cheap, I threw it out. i use the low temp and have not any any complaints of anything falling apart... I do have a high temp one that I have used and prefer the low temp...

Holiday, Princess, ballet shoes.....

ALL PROUDLY MADE IN THE U.S.A.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:27

I had a glue gun for 4 years that I paid like $2 for. It shorted out a few months ago, so I had to get a new one. I got one that looked the same, but it was HORRIBLE! Leaked like crazy!

I finally bit the bullet and got the Aleen's dual temp from Michaels ( I think it was like $20 then I used my 40 % coupon).

I LOVE IT!

It has the adjustable nozzles, and doesn't leak nearly as much. YAY!!!

All of my tutorials are now available through my etsy store.

Check out my Tutorial Album on Picasa.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:29

I always use the hight temp becaause it holds better. If I lined clips, the low temp glue will be cold easliy when touched with the cold clips and it makes the clips bulky feeling, and it's easy to be ripped of the clips. I bought the white and blue one (adtech) at walmart like 2 years ago. It's pointy and didn't leak until a couple weeks ago. However, after stop using it for a week then using it again, I noticed that the leak stopped or atleast not as much as before. I love my glue gun. I might have to get a new one soon though. Also invest in like a silicone like pad to put under your glue gun. I LOVVVEEEE it. It's like 8 bucks at michaels but used the 40% off coupon.

Wholesale Headbands, Rolled/Dainty Flowers, and Duchesse Flowers.

21 Satin colors and 20 Grosgrain colors. PM me for more details.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:42

I normally buy the cheap $2 ones from HL. (I throw them away every few months cause they get yucky glue all over them) And this last time I bought a high temp "cordless" one from HL (its light blue... can't remember the brand) It was $5.99 I think? And it works awesome! It has a skinny tip and does wayyyy better than the other one. It leaked a LOT at first, but after I used it for a day or so it stopped. I also quit sitting it on its little "kick stand" and I actually use the little "kick stand" to hang it on my desk drawer so the nozzle is tilted up towards the ceiling. This helped a TON!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenjs View Post
I had a glue gun for 4 years that I paid like $2 for. It shorted out a few months ago, so I had to get a new one. I got one that looked the same, but it was HORRIBLE! Leaked like crazy!

I finally bit the bullet and got the Aleen's dual temp from Michaels ( I think it was like $20 then I used my 40 % coupon).

I LOVE IT!

It has the adjustable nozzles, and doesn't leak nearly as much. YAY!!!
I got this one in January after I was sick of my cheapo Ad Tech (from Michael's) one leaking glue everywhere - and the glue strings! Oy Vay.

Now the Aleene's dual temp from Michaels = LOVE! I don't know why I didn't get one sooner! A drop of glue leaks out when I first turn it on and then...NADA! No leaking. The few glue strings I get even seem easier to get rid of, and the different nozzles!! I keep the flat tip on the glue gun
Old 02-02-2011, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilianaleahy View Post
Also invest in like a silicone like pad to put under your glue gun. I LOVVVEEEE it. It's like 8 bucks at michaels but used the 40% off coupon.
Thanks for the tip! I always use wax paper taped over my heat-resistant glass work area, but I wanted to try something new (the wax paper is kind of a pain).
Old 02-02-2011, 01:29

I use a high temp one from HL too. It doesn't leak at all but the cheapo low temp dollar store one I had leaked everywhere! And the low temp glue would dry so fast I couldn't readjust anything if need be - very hard to work with. I think I paid less than $10 for the one I use now. Very reasonable. HTH
Sponsored Links