New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:57

Default Fabric Covered Button Press/Machine & 600 Buttons

I bought this machine from a woman named Alana on eBay. I have to say, I was extremely pleased with her communication, honesty and integrity.

I had issues figuring out how to use it, and she worked with me and worked with me until I figured it out.

If you are wanting to make fabric-covered buttons, this is the machine to get. I was able to get flat-backed button backs for making hairbows. I couldn't be happier.

Here is a link to one of her auctions for a button press: http://bit.ly/frFpzg

If you are not in a hurry for it, shipping is FREE! It will be coming from China, and Alana is a Canadian who lives there.

Last edited by Gr82cre8; 01-16-2011 at 05:06. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 01-16-2011, 09:42

Default Re: Fabric Covered Button Press/Machine & 600 Buttons

Hmm, this is interesting.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:55

Be aware that this machine only accepts European-style buttons. If you wish to purchase replacement buttons domestically (in the United States), one of the two sources is Mikron (MicronAmerica) -- Turkish manufacturer with an office in New Jersey. The other is Rowley Co., which imports their buttons from China.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede View Post
Be aware that this machine only accepts European-style buttons. If you wish to purchase replacement buttons domestically (in the United States), one of the two sources is Mikron (MicronAmerica) -- Turkish manufacturer with an office in New Jersey. The other is Rowley Co., which imports their buttons from China.
Thanks! It's always good to know the other suppliers.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56

I love the idea of these but I don't use buttons enough to want one.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:33

So glad to hear this! I have been dealing with her as well because I am interested in her snap pliers. She even tested out some of the snaps on some ribbon for me!

How did you go with shipping? I know she offers free shipping but thats with AIRLIFT and can take a couple of weeks.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by brezzamagoo View Post
So glad to hear this! I have been dealing with her as well because I am interested in her snap pliers. She even tested out some of the snaps on some ribbon for me!

How did you go with shipping? I know she offers free shipping but thats with AIRLIFT and can take a couple of weeks.
I went with the free shipping, and it took about 8 weeks. It wasn't a problem for me because I have enough craft supplies to keep me busy for a year.

As far as cost, I don't know anyone who can provide three sets of dies (along with the machine) for $169. Dies run over $40-50 each set. The buttons really are a cinch to make. I'm not sure what the difference is between European/American buttons. Can anyone fill me in?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:27

The Chinese dies don't appear to include (circle) cutters, which would lower the price. I'm not actually sure if this style machine can accommodate a cutter -- it might, I'm just not sure. If you're interested in cutters for your dies, ask the seller about them. Also, if you're interested in setting snaps, grommets, or rivets with this machine, ask if dies are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr82cre8 View Post
I'm not sure what the difference is between European/American buttons. Can anyone fill me in?
There are three types of machine buttons: UK, Continental, and American. UK and Continental buttons are similar enough that they are essentially interchangeable -- for simplicity, we can call them "European" buttons.

The difference between European and American buttons is subtle, but significant. Finished buttons look identical, but respective components are very slightly different -- different enough that a European button won't normally fit in an American die, and vice versa.

This machine (and its dies) appear to be specifically Continental. They work differently than American machines and dies -- they are not compatible with each other.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede View Post
The Chinese dies don't appear to include (circle) cutters, which would lower the price. I'm not actually sure if this style machine can accommodate a cutter -- it might, I'm just not sure.

This machine (and its dies) appear to be specifically Continental. They work differently than American machines and dies -- they are not compatible with each other.
You are right; it didn't come with a circle cutter and the differences are very subtle. I am going to have to ask about one because I might want one. So far though, for my purposes, it works. My plan was to make buttons as embellishments for headbands...some personalized and some simply to complement the ribbon on the band.

You have some valid points for others who may be interested in getting one for more robust uses (upholstery, drapery, etc.) and I sincerely appreciate your knowledge and input. Thanks again, Dede.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by brezzamagoo View Post
How did the snap pliers work on ribbon? Are you planning on making key fobs or pacifier/binky clips? (another sumpthin' I wanna explore)
Sponsored Links