New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:40

Default Re: Why oh why do I have soooo much trouble with hot glue!

The only thing I dislike about bowmaking is the gluing! I sew and then glue my layers together, and I hate all the little strings. I've tried both the dual temp and the high-heat, and haven't had any problems with either.....though I guess I should be grateful I didn't ever have a bad bag like you did.

Hope things are better now!

Deanna
www.birdsongbows.etsy.com
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2010, 11:52

Funny you mention this i got some more expensive cloudy glue sticks that suck you can actually pull items apart after gluing hate em . Back to the cheepies!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:11

I even went to Hobby Lobby and bought a new more expensive glue gun and glue sticks that were "hot" glue sticks, not multi temp. And guess what? They peeled right off too. I took a look at the glue sticks and they were the cloudy looking sticks also. Urgh. Makes me mad. So back to my "clear" glue sticks and I haven't had any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNice123 View Post
Funny you mention this i got some more expensive cloudy glue sticks that suck you can actually pull items apart after gluing hate em . Back to the cheepies!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:23

I use the double sided tape for my clips and it works great, never had a problem. I use the hot glue to glue the actual bow to the clip ( I got my glue gun from the dollar store) and it works perfect. I use "hot" glue sticks (not multi-temp) I let my hot glue sit for at least 7 (sometimes more) minutes before I start using it, that way when I start using it it's really hot and never had a problem
Old 10-15-2010, 09:48

I'd had the same problem. I had a *ton* of cheap glue sticks from Walmart that I finally used up a few weeks ago - they had always held up really well. I then bought some more and they were cloudy and had a funny smell, then I discovered I could pull my ribbon off the alli clip, which I could never do before. I was panicking. I then tried Surebonder glue - it also didn't have a great hold. Finally I tried Aleene's, and I love it. Nice strong hold and dries nice and clear .
Old 10-15-2010, 09:57

Maybe it's your gun? I have a high temp surebonder gun and use only high temp surebonder glue sticks and it bonds really well.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:01

I got some surebonder glue sticks @ JoAnn's and they all dry cloudy. I prefer clear drying hot glue so I'm going to have to use these up before I get a different product.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:15

I had to return some awful gluesticks from WM as well. Even though they are cheaper, I'll stick to the ones at Michaels that don't bubble out of the end of the gun.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:21

I tried the surebonder glue too and also had the same problem with it. I bought a new surebonder hot glue gun, the one with the fine tip point on the end. And also the surebonder "hot" glue. That glue was just as bad as the cloudy Walmart glue sticks. I could pull my ribbon right off the clip.

Does Aleene's make a hot glue stick? I'm not sure that I've ever seen it. I haven't had any problems with the Ad-tech multi-temp glue sticks, as long as they are the clear sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_m View Post
I'd had the same problem. I had a *ton* of cheap glue sticks from Walmart that I finally used up a few weeks ago - they had always held up really well. I then bought some more and they were cloudy and had a funny smell, then I discovered I could pull my ribbon off the alli clip, which I could never do before. I was panicking. I then tried Surebonder glue - it also didn't have a great hold. Finally I tried Aleene's, and I love it. Nice strong hold and dries nice and clear .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBowsBoutique View Post
Maybe it's your gun? I have a high temp surebonder gun and use only high temp surebonder glue sticks and it bonds really well.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:08

I have EXACTLY the same problem with the clear v. cloudy WM sticks!! Glad to know I am not crazy!!! LOL!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg