printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:58

Default unhappy with bow-making template!

i have tried and tried and tried and just can't get a decent bow using the no bow no go templates. i think i just might be bow-deficient. any other temps i could use? once i start having to sew, everything moves around and i can't get the middles to scrunch up just right. very frustrating. any tips?
Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2010, 09:11

Default Re: unhappy with bow-making template!

You are clipping your ends down with a clip? Which bow are you trying to do? Sometimes I have trouble getting my big pinwheels to scrunch right, but if I follow her stitches exactly as shown and pull it off carefully, it usually comes out right.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:19

which one are you trying to do?? placement of the stitches definatly makes the difference
Old 07-31-2010, 12:50

I'm trying to do all of them actually! The only 2 that are remotely nice are the double tail and the mini bow. I really want to master the boutique bow, but i just can't get the stitches right. And I am clipping the ends down. I even added a little no slip stuff to the tips of the clips so they won't move around.

Any other advice????
Old 07-31-2010, 02:35

I use 4 alligator clips to hold my ribbon down while sewing. Make sure you sew it just like she says to and it should turn out beautiful. Keep doing it and you will get the hang of it.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:33

I would play around with it some more. Try different templates, etc. I actually like some of the wider ribbon for the smaller templates for the boutiques. They look cute that way. Try to keep your ribbon as tight as possible. You'll get it!

Old 08-01-2010, 12:29

BBM looks like their template is the easiest for the twisted! haven't tried it though... it's taken me 5 months to learn how to to do the boutique/twisted with homemade templates i guess it takes a lot of practice. don't give up!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:30

try this video... shows a tip about clipping the back layer to help you use the templates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcbOF...os=KElY3Yz1rYw

Last edited by nandawg; 08-01-2010 at 12:31. Reason: forgot to add the link. DUH!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:39

When I first started I put a TINY dot of glue to hold everything together. If you use to much you will not get a pretty crease in the center. Just a tiny tiny tiny dot...I don't even squeeze the glue gun.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:45

I use the pin like she says and I use a piece of eraser to hold it together while you separate the ribbon. And the stitch is VERY important.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg