5/8" polka dot grosgrain ribbon
Hip Girl Boutique It's a girl grosgrain satin ribbon collection
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/200pc-crochet-headband-combo.jpg

hip girl boutique grosgrain mini bow tie single prong alligator hair bow clips for baby infant new born women girl adult

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/hair-bow-holder-craft-show-display-180.jpg
New products--Crochet headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:20

Default Sore throat after ribbon burning

Hi All
I was just wondering if anyone else got a sore scratchy throat after burning a lot of ribbon ends. I always feel like I have just smoked a pack of cigarettes, and Im beginning to wonder if it is dangerous?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2008, 10:35

Default Re: Sore throat after ribbon burning

No problem here either...the painted ribbon I got from Michael's gave off a horrible smell when I was using the wood burner but no sore throat. Maybe you need a little fan for ventilation? What brand of ribbon are you using? I noticed some smoke more than others.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:38

my grosgrain dosen't smoke to bad but the velvet is awful about it. I hold my breath and place the burner away from me and have the ceiling fan on to move the air. but to answer your question, no sore throat. I also use offray and schiff if that helps.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:56

None here either but I've read that one has to be careful with the fume while heat sealing ribbons. Some doesn't tolerate well with it.

Agree with bstimpert, try and do it in a ventilated area ...

I'm not all that. I just like the last part.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:42

[quote=sarahg;66051]Hi All
I was just wondering if anyone else got a sore scratchy throat after burning a lot of ribbon ends. I always feel like I have just smoked a pack of cigarettes, and Im beginning to wonder if it is dangerous? [/quote]

no offense...but.....
YES!!! the gasses/smoke that are released by burning the ends of the ribbon are HAZARDOUS in large quantities... You must seal your ribbon in a well ventelated room preferably with a fan to move the air... DO NOT breathe the fumes directly or it will damage your lungs and leave you vulnerable to things like Lung Cancer an COPD later in life.

The ribbon that we generally use day to day are made from Polyester, Nylon, and Rayon blends... these materials are PLASTICS.
If you think about it would you take a plastic coke bottle and light it on fire an use it as incense? Noooooo.... use common sense and open a window, turn on a fan, and dont breathe the stuff in/work away from your face
Old 03-21-2008, 02:04

I think maybe once I had a scratchy throat after sealing ribbon, but I was using velvet ribbon.I had had my fan going, and I did open the window a crack.hhmm...now you got me thinking! I'm glad velvet is only an occasional ribbon I use. I haven't had this problem with grosgrain.

Rachel and Rachelle
Old 03-22-2008, 05:39

hey i had a similar experience but it was a lil more worse, i had shortness of breath and also hyperventilating after burning grosgrain ribbon ends, i ddont know if it was due to doing that or that it was happening to me for some reason, but bah after i stopped burning/heat sealing the ribbon for awhile the i was wasnt experiencing those symptoms, so i dont know what it really was.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:26

I looked this stuff up after reading the first post, b/c as crazy as it sounds, I had the same experience. Apparently, some of the grosgrain ribbons have nylon in them instead of being 100% polyester. The nylon is apparently causing more of the smoke than the polyester does and emits a horrible smell. Many velvets are made from 100% nylon. That may explain some of it. HTH