New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:30

Question People wanting to do reviews?

I had someone contacted me the other day, and they asked me if I wanted them to do a review on my products. I would send her my products and she would right a review on her blog. Have any of you ladies ever done anything like this before? What do you ladies think?

Shannon
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 06-30-2010, 09:03

Default Re: People wanting to do reviews?

I personally haven't since I don't have my products in a store yet. But I have read about this. Some things to think about: Is this blogger asking for the item for free? If so, I'd really look at the readership, how many followers do they have? Do they do a lot of reviews? What happens to the product after it is sent to her? Can you afford to send the item to them for free and not get any sales from it? Will it be worth it?

If they are buying it then doing a review, then I'd see no problem!

I personally have never bought a product based on a blog review or feature.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:21

This is a pretty common scam run on etsy. It is basically a way for ppl to get stuff that they like for free. Sure, they probably will review it, but why do they need the actual product, and what makes someone who has a grand total of 25 ppl subscribed to their blog qualified to do so? Reply and tell them that you're happy for them to use your pic in your product listing for them to review, but if they want the item they'll have to buy it. That should weed out the scammers fast enough!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
I personally haven't since I don't have my products in a store yet. But I have read about this. Some things to think about: Is this blogger asking for the item for free? If so, I'd really look at the readership, how many followers do they have? Do they do a lot of reviews? What happens to the product after it is sent to her? Can you afford to send the item to them for free and not get any sales from it? Will it be worth it?

If they are buying it then doing a review, then I'd see no problem!

I personally have never bought a product based on a blog review or feature.

Agreed! If you can't afford to send it don't or charge a small fee. Also see if they will allow you to have your button linked to your website in their sidebar for 1 month for doing the blog review. Definitely check on how many followers they have! You want the biggest exposure as possible.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny19143 View Post
I had someone contacted me the other day, and they asked me if I wanted them to do a review on my products. I would send her my products and she would right a review on her blog. Have any of you ladies ever done anything like this before? What do you ladies think?

Shannon
To be honest, I used to be a review blogger. I still have my blog but other life priorities took over so I haven't given it much attention. When I stopped, I had over 6oo readers and a Google PR 3 which got me some good paying advertisers... enough to pay to take my family to Disney this past winter.

I know a lot of bloggers get offended when you talk about that they are scamming people and frankly it's a lot of work, sometimes for just a $10 item and if the blogger is worth anything... well her blog will show it. By the amount of readers, the appearance of her blog, her traffic, the quality of her own photos... etc. I know I spent a lot of time researching my products, interviewing the independant makers, taking pictures and editing those pictures. But there are sloppy writers who will just copy your own photos and slap three sentences on it and call it a day. I didn't do that and many, many other product bloggers don't either.

I don't think it's too much to ask to see her media kit if she has one or ask for stats. If you don't want to do it or don't think it's worth your time, it's ok. Sometimes you get a great blogger and it's worth it, but a lot of times it's not.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:49

I have gotten 3 requests so far, when I ask for refrences the requestor stops contact. Seriously if I am going to invest in the blog, I want to know how well it was for other participants. You know?

I had one lady tell me the items she wanted to review and it wasn't just one item it was several items. She even mentioned it was for her child. It just raised a red flag, I contacted a previous participant and the lady told me it was a waste.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:47

Sorry for the two post. I kept getting a error message when I was posting. Ugh.

Thanks for all the fed back. I emailed her back asking her all of those questions. Then I found her blog she only has 23 followers. Idk if she is just maybe starting out. I mean I don't want to over look her just cuz she us staring. I mean we all have to start somewhere. On the other hand I don't want to waste my time either. Ugh

This is her blog link http://bridgettesbotiques411.blogspot.com/

If u ladies can check it out and let me know what you think. I have never even heard of anyone that does boutique reviews. I must be sheltered... Lol.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56

It is entirely up to you, this is just my 2 cents. I would probably skip this opportunity, especially if the product the blogger wants to review is pricey. With only 23 followers you will probably just be giving the product away at that point. If you want to help her out, maybe offer the product at a discounted price in exchange for the review? I personally would hope for better photography and write up that included live links to my shop. All the links I see you'd have to copy and paste. I never take the time to copy and paste a link unless I really really really am interested.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:50

Like Wednesday said, I agree she's making some errors. It's nice that she uses her own photography which shows she puts time into it BUT she's not really reviewing the item except to say, "I got this" and aside from that not much else. Also she is not hyperlinking which is important and the main reason you'd want to do a review. If you find a blog with good Google PR (page rank) they can build your own PR by linking to you, making you easier to find in search engines. On this one, I'd pass but keep an open mind for the next.

Last edited by This Mom Erin; 06-30-2010 at 11:55.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:09

Oh, and if you want to see some sites that do promote boutique sites...
http://mymomshops.blogspot.com/
http://grosgrainfabulous.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links