New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
Hip girl boutique 50mm grosgrain ribbon wrapped snap clips for baby girl, toddler, infant, newborn, adult, women, school http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
hip girl boutique christmas grosgrain satin ribbon collection for holidays

HipGirl Boutique Girls Women 6" Jumbo Large Cheer Bow Elastic Hair Tie Ponytail Holder for High School College Cheerleading (10pc Assorted Solids)

HipGirl 25pc Hair Bow Clips Headbands Gift Basket: Grosgrain Korker Ribbon Alligator Clips + Crochet, Ribbon Wrapped Headbans, For Girls Babies Teens Kids Toddlers Adults. For Pigtails, Ponytails

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:00

Default crop a dile and snaps

My mom has offered to buy a crop a dile, because she's the reason I am going to be making pacifier clips, so I've read through the posts here about it, but I'm still a little unsure. Can someone tell me if this thing works for setting snaps? Do they have to be special snaps from the same maker, or can you use snaps from some place like snap source?

I was going to go with the hammer and plastic tool thing but I can see that becoming very annoying very quickly, esp with two kids who tell me my watching tutorial videos is too loud. My husband would join in on that one too, we wont talk about his watching the world cup..
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 06-29-2010, 07:11

Default Re: crop a dile and snaps

I have never used the croc adile, but this is what I use to make my pacifier clips. It is very quiet and easy to use. I hated using the ones that you have to have a hammer for.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...er-kit-304733/
~Kim

www.my3angelwings.com
Old 06-29-2010, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlucas4 View Post
I have never used the croc adile, but this is what I use to make my pacifier clips. It is very quiet and easy to use. I hated using the ones that you have to have a hammer for.

~Kim
You can get this at Walmart too if you have a craft section. Works really easily.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:16

I don't think you can use it for setting snaps unless they have come out with special snaps that work with it. The best snaps I've found to use for paci clips are from snapsource and have a setter you can get from them. I do use my cropadile to set eyelets and such on the non-snap end of my clips it give =s a nice finished look.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:16

Thanks for the responses, I will wait until HL has their next 40% coupon and go looking then.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlucas4 View Post

~Kim
That is what I have too. Although I find it very hard to make work!!

Old 06-30-2010, 06:32

I have had a crop a dile for along time and I can do eyelets in a breeze! I cannot figure out how to use it to set snaps for the paci-holders and ended up buying the snap setter for them! Its a pain to do! Ha good luck! If u find a way let me know!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel66 View Post
That is what I have too. Although I find it very hard to make work!!
Help please.
I see a couple of you use these pliers to do the snaps for the paci holders. i just dont understad how to use it. i have looked on line for instruction and have not found any. I comes with instruction on the back but i still dont understand. i comes with 2 clear rubber rings and 1 big yellow circle.
i dont know im confused. how do you use it ?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:20

I love my crop a dile. I have tried several diffrent methods of setting snaps. Hammering methods, however effective, are too loud. The grip pliers seemed to mess up more snaps than they set... and then I found the crop a dile. My walmart was clearancing a bunch of craft stuff and ended up marking it down to $5! After using it, it is totally worth paying full price for.

The way I use mine is by setting it to A and 1 on the blocks (i'm pretty sure thats correct. I'll double check in the morning and report back if I'm wrong.) On the female part, I align the prong on the cropadile with the hole in the snap and that helps align it and set the snap. For the male part I use the same setting. When you lower the cropadile make sure that the prong from the machine is aligned with the prong on the snap. As you lower it, the prong on the cropadile will recess into the machine and allow the snap to be set without messing up the snap!

It works so fast and easy! I hope those instructions made sense! Maybe I need to make a tute! Because when I bought it, I couldn't find one on how to set snaps, only eyelets! After figuring out the correct settings on the blocks, I haven't messed up a single snap!

But if you guys would like a tute with pictures, please let me know and I'll see what I can do tomorrow!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:16

Ok I bought a crop-a-dile big bite yesterday and here's my experience so far with the snaps:

I was using Dritz size 16 snaps, and it took some fiddling around with it to figure out what combo works best. I have had about 5 very broken hours of sleep so can't remember what I ended up with, I will repost with that info later when my brain is functioning correctly again.

For the bottom part of the snaps, it works great, nice and flat and tight. On the part with the stud, I found the best way was to just start it out by pressing down a bit and then finish it off with a hammer. Not ideal, but at least it saves hammering the entire thing. And I only needed to give it one whack to set the top properly.

I was using UB ribbon, which is thinner, and used it on 1, 2, and 3 layers. All of them were fine, I didn't have them come out at all, even repeatedly closing and opening the snaps. And if you use 2 or 3 layers of ribbon the snaps set easier, even the stud part, on the 3 layer I didn't need to hammer at all. And I just hammered it by putting it in the hole of a thread bobbin, just as the instructions for the snap said to do.

I did notice that the ribbon might get a little warped where the snap goes, I am still working on that.

Plus the opening is a little awkward to get the snaps in place with the ribbon without it sliding off, but I'm sure with practice I will get better.

I'm not going to say it's perfect, but it doesn't have a setting for 7/16 anything, which is what a size 16 snap is, so to me to only have to hammer once per snap seems something I can live with. I haven't checked yet but I am also going to see if they have snaps that would go better with the sizes it does do.

I also plan to use it for cardmaking etc so it is definitely not something I regret buying. I got it for $20 after a 50% off coupon from Michaels.

HTH anyone else wanting to know about it!
Sponsored Links