new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:11

Default Re: Wood burners... is there special one to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitsOFtheBLooM View Post
LOL Dede! Has it killed before? Rogue burning tool? ;o)

That reminds me of a story with my own wood burner! One day I was on the telephone for work and thought my burner was off when I went to change the tip...

UM...chargrilled fingers? I don't think I have fingerprints yet on my thumb and index finger!

FruitsOFtheBLooM

OMG! You guys are scaring me. I just purchased one and now I don't think I even want to try using it. I am a clutz and and I always forget to turn things off!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2010, 01:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBows View Post
OMG! You guys are scaring me. I just purchased one and now I don't think I even want to try using it. I am a clutz and and I always forget to turn things off!
When I was still using the Wood Burner of Death, I used a cookie sheet, like this:

You can burn directly on the metal. Nothing goes on the sheet except the wood burner and whatever you're working on at that moment. Keep bows, korkers, etc. OFF OF THE SHEET unless you're working on them.

Other people use different surfaces. I liked using this because the edges prevented the wood burner from rolling off somehow. And I always forgot to turn it off, and it was fine.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:20

Thanks Dede! Got a cookie sheet!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBows View Post
For just ribbons you never need to change the tip, just use the wedge one that came with the tool...so if it's on all the time...no worries. Since that I keep my glue gun and my burner on one power cord that I can turn on and off with a switch and the red light reminds me it's HOT. ;o)

FruitsOFtheBLooM
Old 08-26-2010, 06:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitsOFtheBLooM View Post
LOL Dede! Has it killed before? Rogue burning tool? ;o)

That reminds me of a story with my own wood burner! One day I was on the telephone for work and thought my burner was off when I went to change the tip...

UM...chargrilled fingers? I don't think I have fingerprints yet on my thumb and index finger!

FruitsOFtheBLooM
OUCHIES!!!!!! Haven't done that one, but I have burnt my fingers a *few* times. I got some "First Degree" burn cream to keep on my table now.

Just wondering how that conversation went while you were talking on the phone and burning your fingers at the SAME time?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraseeAnn View Post
OUCHIES!!!!!! Haven't done that one, but I have burnt my fingers a *few* times. I got some "First Degree" burn cream to keep on my table now.

Just wondering how that conversation went while you were talking on the phone and burning your fingers at the SAME time?
I own a brick and mortar business that has nothing to do with hair bows, and was on the phone with one of those clients. Thankfully, I'm a mama and I have a high pain tolerance so I managed to pretend all was well while my fingertips were smoking! Also, I am Southern and was raised to be polite and smile through the pain...so the client never even knew I had chargrilled my fingers.

I did end the conversation quickly after that though. LOL (And I was joking about not having fingerprints--I grabbed the hot end with the strength you would need to unscrew the tip, but I also removed my hand quickly!)

FruitsOFtheBLooM
Old 08-27-2010, 03:31

That is so funny because I just bought the $10 wood burner from Wal*Mart last night...I figured for $10 it might be worth it...I am always buying cheapo lighters or having to fill up the good ones!

What do you use under so as not to burn your desk?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbenjamin View Post
That is so funny because I just bought the $10 wood burner from Wal*Mart last night...I figured for $10 it might be worth it...I am always buying cheapo lighters or having to fill up the good ones!

What do you use under so as not to burn your desk?
I use a plain piece of glass. I don't do a lot of ribbon cutting with my burner, I mainly use it to seal the ends of the ribbons so they don't fray. Sometimes I melt spikes together so they stay put while I sew them. Not often though. ;o)

FruitsOFtheBLooM
Old 08-28-2010, 12:12

I was excited about my find yesterday. I was at a local bookstore of all places and found a brand new Walnut Hollow glass mat complete with grids and rulers and a nifty spot to place your woodburner so it won't roll. $7. Love it!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:37

I just buy whatever they have a HL. They don't last forever, but I do have mine on probably 60 hours a week. I think the heating element must give out. My wood burners last me about 6 months.

I use a glass cutting mat. It's nice because it is marked 12 inches by 12 inches. That way I can make precise measurements. I use the HL one that is in the scrapbooking aisle.

Don't pay extra for other blade tips. Trust me, I don't think you'll ever use them.
Sponsored Links