printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2010, 11:43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 287
Question My glue gun just had a melt down. Literally.

So, I plugged my glue gun in, went to the kitchen for a minute, come back and the glue stick is completely melted...like a melted blob. I can't put another one in and can't use it.

Anyone ever have this happen?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2010, 02:09
Cliptoit's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 23
Default Re: My glue gun just had a melt down. Literally.

I had that happen with my Ad Tech last night, I had to push all the glue out because I couldn't get another stick in until then. Burnt myself, so be careful!
__________________
All I see is pink.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2010, 02:16
khofkamp's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,559
Default Re: My glue gun just had a melt down. Literally.

Are you by chance using a high temp gun with low temp sticks?

I have never had that happen before, but it sounds to me like that might be the case.

...along the same lines I had to buy a new wood burner because my husband had called me to the kitchen and I left it on the desk... in a coffee mug, unpluged, but still hot.... the dog ran under the desk, got caught in the cord, the woodburner came out of the cup and landed on a pile of bows I had just finnished

The woodburner and bows were ruined

Krista

Last edited by khofkamp; 06-05-2010 at 02:19.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2010, 02:21
Cliptoit's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 23
Default Re: My glue gun just had a melt down. Literally.

I was using dual, it's all they had in stock for mini's. I'll try to find some high temp but I am almost tempted to try double sided tape.
__________________
All I see is pink.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2010, 02:24
khofkamp's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,559
Default Re: My glue gun just had a melt down. Literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliptoit View Post
I was using dual, it's all they had in stock for mini's. I'll try to find some high temp but I am almost tempted to try double sided tape.
I have a cheap gun from walmart, $3ish and it has not let me down in nearly 3 years and 1,000's of bows and clips

Krista
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2010, 07:38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 287
Default Re: My glue gun just had a melt down. Literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khofkamp View Post
Are you by chance using a high temp gun with low temp sticks?

I have never had that happen before, but it sounds to me like that might be the case.

...along the same lines I had to buy a new wood burner because my husband had called me to the kitchen and I left it on the desk... in a coffee mug, unpluged, but still hot.... the dog ran under the desk, got caught in the cord, the woodburner came out of the cup and landed on a pile of bows I had just finnished

The woodburner and bows were ruined
Krista
Nope, the glue gun was high temp, with high temp sticks (it was actually a partially used one, that I didn't have a problem with in the morning). Maybe it was a defective glue stick?

Gosh, that stinks about the bows and wood burner....speaking of wood burners, anyone suggest one? Is there a "speacial" type to get? I've been thinking of getting one because it feels like I've been cutting a gazillion pieces of ribbon lately, and sealing them with a lighter... a wood burner would probably help speed up my process.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2010, 09:12
tealove4's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ken-tuh-kay
Posts: 2,534
Default Re: My glue gun just had a melt down. Literally.

I have a 2 temp Ad Tech gun from Wal-mart. I think it's about to give up on me so I really need to get another one. Mine oozes glue out the tip. I sit it down and when I pick it up to glue something there is a glob of glue under the tip.


I need to get a wood burner too. Seems like they would save a lot of time, but I have NO idea what kind to get.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2010, 11:58
khofkamp's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,559
Default Re: My glue gun just had a melt down. Literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesandpolkadots View Post
Nope, the glue gun was high temp, with high temp sticks (it was actually a partially used one, that I didn't have a problem with in the morning). Maybe it was a defective glue stick?

Gosh, that stinks about the bows and wood burner....speaking of wood burners, anyone suggest one? Is there a "speacial" type to get? I've been thinking of getting one because it feels like I've been cutting a gazillion pieces of ribbon lately, and sealing them with a lighter... a wood burner would probably help speed up my process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealove4 View Post
I have a 2 temp Ad Tech gun from Wal-mart. I think it's about to give up on me so I really need to get another one. Mine oozes glue out the tip. I sit it down and when I pick it up to glue something there is a glob of glue under the tip.


I need to get a wood burner too. Seems like they would save a lot of time, but I have NO idea what kind to get.
I get mine at HL, they are $8ish dollars with a coupon

Our walmart used to sell them too, but since they downsized their craft section I havent seen them there. I imagine they would sell them at joanns and michaels too, but I do not go to those stores as often just because they are more than an hour away

I get the ones that have the tips like a flat head screw driver, but it is at an agle, lets see if I can find one online.....

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...9&marketID=207

I guess they sell them at home depot too I use the head like the one on the burner in the image. I had looked at lowes just because it was a sunday and HL was closed, but all they had was a tip that didnt have the angle to it, so I didn't get that one. HTH!

Krista
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger