150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:40

Default st got a woodburner and now I have ???'s

i'm sorry I always use a lighter, but now my thumb is hurting from too many bows, so I got a woodburner,

What do you put under the ribbon before you use the woodburner to cut it???
My craft table is wood and I dont want to ruin it!

Thanks, Brandy

Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2010, 12:42

Default Re: st got a woodburner and now I have ???'s

I use a quilting cutting board (self healing mat) that I had on hand, with a pane of glass from an old picture frame on top. I can see the lines, angles & measurements on the quilting cutting board, and the glass insulates it from the heat.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:19

I do the same.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:20

I use a glass cutting board with a piece of paper underneath showing me my measurements to cut. You will be in love with your wood burned once you get the hang of it! Make sure you use swift movement when you cut. That was my frustration when I first started using it. I moved too slowly and got lots of burned ribbon on my burner.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceamama View Post
I use a quilting cutting board (self healing mat) that I had on hand, with a pane of glass from an old picture frame on top. I can see the lines, angles & measurements on the quilting cutting board, and the glass insulates it from the heat.
ditto
Old 05-06-2010, 04:54

Will someone post a photo of the head that they use to cut with. I can NOT get the hang of cutting with mine. I love sealing with it, but no matter how swift I am with the cut, I always seem to not cut through or get hung up in the ribbon
Old 05-06-2010, 08:02

I had the same issues when I first started using mine. I use a ruler also to cut mine. It makes it easier to get a straight cut. I use the tool that has a slanted tip. Does that make sense? I will post a picture later if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:03

I also use a glass from a picture frame with graph paper underneath.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:26

I was just cutting my ribbon with scissors and then using the wood burner. I think it looks better that way but definitely not the most efficient.

I started getting ready for a show in July and decided to try just cutting the ribbon with the woodburner. I have a craft table with measurements on it and put a piece of glass from a frame over it and use that.
It works fine, but I'm having problems with the ribbon being burned to the glass and then it sticks and pulls so I have to redo the seal. I use the slanted edge also.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:25

I use a piece of glass from a picture frame I got from the dollar store. On a piece of paper, I drew a line with measurements and then taped it to the glass. Seal the glass with tape all around to help reinforce it and prevent cutting yourself. I use the slanted edged tip myself (the chisel cut). As for your ribbon sticking to the glass after cutting and sealing, I have found that different ribbons although they say grosgrain are not equal. Some ribbons I have cut cleanly, others stick. I think that depends on actual ribbon materials used in production. I always keep an old rag like a handtowel I don't use anymore on hand. Wet the handtowel (don't drench it) Fold it and put it on a plate beside your cutting area. Now when you get residue on the tip, instead of smelling it burn and then leaving a black mark on your next piece of ribbon to be cut. You can then clean the tip by wiping it quickly on both sides. This helps to keep your tips cleaner equalling clean cut lines. I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links