New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:53

Question Hairspray?????

On another forum i am on a bunch of women said that to stiffen their bows they spray them with hairspray.

I had never heard this before but they said it worked way better for them than starch.

My concern is what if the child puts the bow in their mouth??! I am well aware they shouldn't put them in their mouth but lets face it, kids are fast. lol

It seems like it would taste horrible and be very unsafe.

Do any of you ladies do this method?

What do you think of it?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:21

Default Re: Hairspray?????

I would just be worried about it being flammable. It's still flammable after it's dried right?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by karina721 View Post
I would just be worried about it being flammable. It's still flammable after it's dried right?

That's a good point. I'm not sure but I think it's still flammable when dry.

Yikes, if it is that is so dangerous!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:38

I use hairspray on my cheer bows. I used to use a lighter to heat seal them, and I've never had a problem with them setting on fire.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:46

i do hairspray on some of mine. i use aussie mega hold and its amazing!! actually the starch is worse as far as flammable goes. i canuse a lighter to heat seal my ribbon that has been hairsprayed and its fine. but if you try to heat seal a piece of ribbon that has been starched. it will charr it and turn it black. i almost had a piece go up in flames one time. as far as putting it in the mouth i'm sure the starch is just as bad as the hair spray. any ways just my two cents.lol
Old 03-22-2010, 06:50

I starch. I worry hairspray will be sticky with the amount of rain here in WA state.

All starch will scorch Even the sta-flo in a spritz bottle without the added aerosol chemicals.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:05

Wow, thanks for all the info ladies.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
I starch. I worry hairspray will be sticky with the amount of rain here in WA state.

All starch will scorch Even the sta-flo in a spritz bottle without the added aerosol chemicals.
i have a question for you shelly. i have followed your previous advice for baking and starching bows posted on different forums. i started out with boutique bows and love the way they turned out. and i just recently started making korkers and love them!! but my question is how do you heat seal your korkers? i tried my usual way with a lighter but noticed that it left scorch marks. what about fray check? i only ask because i love your work!!!! and your bows are gorgeous!

thanks!
mari
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14

Eeeek...I hate hairspray...I knew a lady that would spray her bows..(obviously overdoing it.) and they looked AWFUL...I dunno if it was too much or a crappy brand...but the edges of the bows must collect it up cuz it looks like she kept her bows in a linty closet or something cuz every little fuzzy and lint piece were stuck to them making them look dirty.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilysmama View Post
i have a question for you shelly. i have followed your previous advice for baking and starching bows posted on different forums. i started out with boutique bows and love the way they turned out. and i just recently started making korkers and love them!! but my question is how do you heat seal your korkers? i tried my usual way with a lighter but noticed that it left scorch marks. what about fray check? i only ask because i love your work!!!! and your bows are gorgeous!

thanks!
mari
What I did since I got my woodburner is bake dry, cut with the woodburner, then assemble & starch. I really like niagara light body spray starch for these. If you can, clip them on something so they hang upside down and dry super poufy!

Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif