New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:09

Default Urgh! My bows keep coming off the clip!

Am I the only one who has trouble with their glue gun holding up? This is not the first time I have brought up this issue. But, I am having serious trouble with my bows staying attached to my lined clips. Most of the time, I can pull them off pretty easily and have to re-glue them at least once. I was using "multi" temp glue sticks that I bought at Walmart. I thought that maybe that was the problem and bought some that said they were specifically "high" temp at Hobby Lobby. I was still having problems. So, then I even bought a new glue gun, hoping this would help. This is what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Ad-Tech-High-T...232699&sr=8-12
But, I am having the same problem! It seems to just be with ribbon to ribbon gluing that is an issue. I don't have problems with ribbon coming off my lined clips or with flowers that I have glued to lined clips. Also, I am making sure the glue is good and hot before I use it. I usually let it heat up for at least 30 minutes before I use it. I am getting seriously frustrated! I keep having to add more glue and then the back of my bow doesn't look as neat as I would like. What could be the problem? Do I need an even higher temp glue gun? Mine is 20 watt, but I saw some that were 40 watt. Also, I am using mainly YAMA ribbon, which has a sheen to it. Is this the source of the problem?

Added pics to show how I do it. I completely glued the clip to the bow (Pic 2). You can see in Pic 4 what I am talking about. I can pull on the bow and separate it from the clip. It won't completely come off, but the bow can be separated from the clip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6911.jpg (51.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6913.jpg (57.5 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6914.jpg (43.7 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6916.jpg (47.4 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by mytwogirls; 03-10-2010 at 10:46. Reason: Adding pics
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 10:14

Default Re: Urgh! My bows keep coming off the clip!

Are you gluing your center around the bow and clip? This is how I do mine and I've never had one to come off.

<>< Christy
my shop
Old 03-10-2010, 10:14

Gosh I don't know what to tell you!! The only time I had issues with things not sticking was early on when I tried to use low temp glue. I use my glue gun as soon as it's hot enough to squirt out & haven't had any issues. :X I think it's the multi use kind even.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:15

Oh and BTW I have the same glue gun. I like the smaller tip on it.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:20

I have that same glue gun and use the same High temp glue sticks from HL. I glue the bow to the ribbon then I wrap the bow center around and glue it to the inside of the clip. I have never had a problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:20

Well, if I am using alligator clips I do not wrap the center knot under the clip. I make the complete bow with the knot and then glue the whole thing to the clip. If I am making bigger bows and using french clips then I take the clip apart and glue the knotted center around the clip and then reassemble. I line the french clip with ribbon and then apply glue the whole length of the clip and attach it to the bow. Then wrap my knot piece around and glue. I hope this makes sense. Maybe I need to take some pictures of what I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia23 View Post
Are you gluing your center around the bow and clip? This is how I do mine and I've never had one to come off.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
Well, if I am using alligator clips I do not wrap the center knot under the clip. I make the complete bow with the knot and then glue the whole thing to the clip. If I am making bigger bows and using french clips then I take the clip apart and glue the knotted center around the clip and then reassemble. I line the french clip with ribbon and then apply glue the whole length of the clip and attach it to the bow. Then wrap my knot piece around and glue. I hope this makes sense. Maybe I need to take some pictures of what I am talking about.
maybe that's it? I always glue my center knots around bow + clip.

<>< Christy
my shop
Old 03-10-2010, 10:24

I glue my center on after I have glued the bow to the clip and then wrap my center around and glue on the "underside" of the clip and then I attach my no slip grip. Never had a problem with them falling off.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:37

I always glue my center around my clip also. I agree that gluing the completed bow directly onto the clip looks much nicer but gluing the center knot/ribbon around the clip holds much better.

Diane
Old 03-10-2010, 10:41

I always sew the bow onto the clip and dab a little fabritac before it sew it on and then wrap the center around the bow and the inside of the clip. Haven't had one come off yet.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg