New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:24

Default Re: Urgh! My bows keep coming off the clip!

I only use hot glue to adhere the bows either to the metal clip or to a lined clip. I don't have problems with the ribbon pulling away from the clips and I've been doing this for yearssssss. I don't like the other methods because some take to long and some seem to troublesome. I don't use lots of glue and I hold it for a few seconds to let it cool just a little bit. I hold hold the ribbon to the barrette on the sides instead of the center. I tend to hold it using my thumbs to push the ribbon to the barrette. The french barrettes are slightly curved so maybe that's part of the problem. Also from where I line clips, the glue cools quicker when it's on metal instead of fabric or ribbon so I have to move quicker when using french barrettes.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:47

i use the e6000 to glue the clip to the bow and hold it in place with another aligator clip til its dry and they hold up pretty good. good luck with that situation it sounds really frustrating
Old 04-18-2010, 04:31

I think it is a temperature issue. I changed my Glue Gun for a "ColdHeat" one because it is wireless and safer around my DD but it does not get as hot as the wired one... I will be getting back to my old one. Is you wireless? They are always not as hot as the wired one... I hope it helps!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBowLady39525 View Post
I had this same problem...I did mine exactly like you do. I quit lining the french clip...idk why, but I haven't had a problem since. You would think ribbon to ribbon would adhere better, but it kept popping off for me. I use a cheapola high temp glue gun with high temp glue sticks. I just put glue on the clip, and hold the bow on there for a few seconds and then wrap the center around and it stays. HTH
I was going to say the same thing, I dont line the french clip. I noticed when I did it would pop right off.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:09

What is the temp. of the room that you work in? This could be a long shot but I noticed when I worked downstairs in my basement (in what was suposed to be my studio) it was much cooler down there so the glue would dry faster and hence would not stick as well. When I moved upstairs the temp. of the room was a tad bit warmer and it took longer to dry so the bond worked better after holding it for a minute or so.......just a thought
Old 04-18-2010, 06:19

I have the same brand gun, but mine is the cheapo mini from Wal mart..

I had some glue sticks here I tried to use and had nothing but trouble.
then I started using their brand and haven't had a problem.

I glue mine the same as you it looks like.

I can say this though..once you have the glue on there you need to be quick to adhere it. If you move slowly the glue cools just enough to not stick as well. I figured that out when I had someone over helping me once before and theirs kept coming off..I watched them and I think they took too long to put the 2 pieces together. The glue needs to be nice and hot.

Have the 2 parts ready to go, quickly put the glue on and put the pieces together..give it a squeeze to make sure it's nice and tight.

JMO but it works for me.

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
Am I the only one who has trouble with their glue gun holding up? This is not the first time I have brought up this issue. But, I am having serious trouble with my bows staying attached to my lined clips. Most of the time, I can pull them off pretty easily and have to re-glue them at least once. I was using "multi" temp glue sticks that I bought at Walmart. I thought that maybe that was the problem and bought some that said they were specifically "high" temp at Hobby Lobby. I was still having problems. So, then I even bought a new glue gun, hoping this would help. This is what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Ad-Tech-High-T...232699&sr=8-12
But, I am having the same problem! It seems to just be with ribbon to ribbon gluing that is an issue. I don't have problems with ribbon coming off my lined clips or with flowers that I have glued to lined clips. Also, I am making sure the glue is good and hot before I use it. I usually let it heat up for at least 30 minutes before I use it. I am getting seriously frustrated! I keep having to add more glue and then the back of my bow doesn't look as neat as I would like. What could be the problem? Do I need an even higher temp glue gun? Mine is 20 watt, but I saw some that were 40 watt. Also, I am using mainly YAMA ribbon, which has a sheen to it. Is this the source of the problem?

Added pics to show how I do it. I completely glued the clip to the bow (Pic 2). You can see in Pic 4 what I am talking about. I can pull on the bow and separate it from the clip. It won't completely come off, but the bow can be separated from the clip.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:27

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. I'm still having some problems, but not as bad as it once was. I think I'm resolved to having to glue everything twice, which does work. I have found if I wiggle my clip and bow back and forth after I put the glue on to smear the glue that it seems to stick to the bow a little better. Then of course I have the problem of the glue oozing out the side and onto my bow. I think I'm putting the two pieces together pretty quickly and not letting the glue cool. I've tried using more glue, less glue, still same results. I have found that if I let the glue extend all the way to the end of the clip and let it seep over the ends a little bit onto the bow, I have better luck with it holding. I just can't believe that I'm the only one that has this issue.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:08

Have you had the same problem with different ribbon? I was wondering if its the Yama ribbon?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:21

I use a 40W glue gun that has a high and low temp setting. I use the high temp setting when attaching bows to the clip. I put my centers on first and then glue the entire bow to the clip. I've never had one come off using this type of glue gun. Once it's dried I've tried pulling them off and they won't budge.

Wife to Rod and Momma to Tyreque, Ladaria, Raquel, Brayana, Destini, Jaleel, Makkiah, Taniyah and Cavelle along with my angel in heaven Angie and 85 foster kids who have left imprints on my heart
All Ribboned Out Remember Me Pillows to Remember your loved one whose far away
Old 04-18-2010, 11:27

I use practically all YAMA and I think that may be part of the problem, since it has a sheen to it. But my guess is there's dozens of other women on here that use YAMA without any problems. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murolyushka View Post
Have you had the same problem with different ribbon? I was wondering if its the Yama ribbon?
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies