Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:57

Default Reviews for anyone with a Brother Embroidery Machine?

Brother Embroidery Sewing Machine SE-270D w/ 27 built-in Disney
to be specific. I found one and they're asking $250 for it, saying it's been barely used. Does anyone have this model and can give me pros and cons?
Thanks.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:01

Default Re: Reviews for anyone with a Brother Embroidery Machine?

I don't have that one I have the 750D. I have heard many people say that the 250 is a great starter machine. The one complaint I've heard about it is that the thread has to be on cartridges. It's my understanding that you can buy cartridges wound w/ thread or wind them yourself off a spool of emb. thread. You might try calling any local sewing machine stores in your area and see what they have. The one I go to takes trade ins. I know I've seen lots of those 250's there. they have been serviced and you might be able to get a good deal.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia44 View Post
I just got this machine last year when for some reason Bed Bath and Beyond had them online and I had a 20% off coupon. I really like it. I haven't used it enough to have a con though. Sorry.
Is it true what the lady said earlier about the cartridges and putting on the thread? What size is the hoop? And do you think $250 is a good price? HELP! How easy is it to upload images? I'm an embroidery machine virgin.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:01

Bump!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:35

I have the SE-350. I have been using it for about a week and I really like it. It is my first embroidery machine though.
As far as the cards.....it is SUPER easy. You just pop it in and choose what you want on the touch screen. From what I read the 270 D is the same on that.
The pics I saw of the 270D here http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SE270D.../dp/B000BS01KK show it with a spool of thread in it. It does thread differently than mine though.
Overall, for the money, I'm very satisfied with my machine. I am just using it to monogram letters on bows though.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciaandbabies View Post
I have the SE-350. I have been using it for about a week and I really like it. It is my first embroidery machine though.
As far as the cards.....it is SUPER easy. You just pop it in and choose what you want on the touch screen. From what I read the 270 D is the same on that.
The pics I saw of the 270D here http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SE270D.../dp/B000BS01KK show it with a spool of thread in it. It does thread differently than mine though.
Overall, for the money, I'm very satisfied with my machine. I am just using it to monogram letters on bows though.
Thanks for the input. I did some research on it and found out new it's $350 and this lady started off with $300 and then came down to $250. It was at Walmart for $350 and I have a lady friend that works there so they get 10% off so I wouldn't be too far off the original price so it's not like I'm getting a "great" deal and like the fact that I could always take it back to Walmart before my 30 days is up versus someone off of Craigslist. Thanks ladies for your two cents. I would love to get one but not be ripped off either.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:10

I have a Brother 750 D (with the 5x7 hoop) and I really like it. It's very easy to thread & use and does a great job.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:54

I have both the 270D (sewing and embroidery 4x4) and the PE-770 (embroidery only and 5x7) machines. The 270 was my first machine and it works fine and is a great starter machine. The only thing I did not like about it is that it only has a 4x4 stitch field. Small thread spools fit in the cartridge, there is an attachment that fits on top of the cartridge for larger spools I did not like using either so I bought a thread stand and had no problems at all not putting my thread in the cartridge. You still need to thread through the cartridge but that is easy. With the 270 you need to get the PED Basic to transfer any designs from the internet or ones you buy to the machine. I'm not sure how much they cost now but mine was $129.00 at Walmart when I got the machine. That is an added expense as it does not come with the machine. So it might be something to think about. The used on might come with that...the new one from Walmart I would say won't. You can use all the designs that are on the machine without it but if you want any new ones you will need it. I see this is a few days old so I'm not sure if you have already decided to purchase a new machine or the used one. I hope if you purchased on you are enjoying it. Machine embroidery is so much fun. I still have my 270D and when I am really busy trying to pump out machine embroidery I have both machines going at the same time.

Diane
Old 03-10-2010, 01:17

I have the PE-350 which is the basic one just not disney. I have had it for 10yrs and it is still going strong. I think $250 for a used one is not much of a deal when you can get them on ebay for $300 or at WM for $350. I got mine on ebay for $250 new. But then again that was 10yrs ago LOL.

I need to upgrade!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:05

I have the Brother SE-350. I bought it from Wal-Mart in May 2009. I paid $350. It has been in the shop TWICE at $85 a pop in less than a year. The machines made for big-box stores are not meant to hold up like the higher priced machines you buy at a sewing machine store!

As stated previously, to embroider designs other than what comes with the machine you have to either buy pre-loaded cards (at $60+ a pop) or you need the PED Basic (at $129.00) to transfer designs from your computer to the machine. Prices for designs you download range from free to $20+. The Disney 270D machine works the same way.

My next machine will be purchased from a sewing machine store. Even if I have to buy a trade-in, it will be worth it to get a better model.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg