http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:58

Default Anyone have the Brother SE350?

I'm wanting to buy this machine but I just read a review I want to check into. This review said you can only monogram letters up to 1" with the hoop it comes with. If you want to do larger letters you have to buy a different hoop but even then the letters only go up to 1 5/8". Anyone have anything to say about that?
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 02-11-2010, 03:10

Default Re: Anyone have the Brother SE350?

I have this same one. I have no idea how to use it. LMAO! It is still in the box from Christmas! I need more time. HAHA!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffers653 View Post
I have this same one. I have no idea how to use it. LMAO! It is still in the box from Christmas! I need more time. HAHA!
send it my way. I'll figure it out for you. LOL
Old 02-11-2010, 03:36

I have one, but my letters are bigger than 1" I am not sure let me find the material I was playing around on and I will measure it and get back to you
Old 02-11-2010, 03:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsbymidge View Post
I have one, but my letters are bigger than 1" I am not sure let me find the material I was playing around on and I will measure it and get back to you
thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 03:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia44 View Post
That makes no sense since it has a 4x4 embroidery field.
I'm thinking the person just didn't know what they were doing but I want to check before I dish out $400 just incase.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24

I have a Brother SE350. Here is a sample of embroidery I have done with the 4 x 4 hoop it came with. This letter is I believe 3 inches. Even though it has a 4 x 4 hoop does not mean it can do 4 inches. There are some restrictions. This design was for 3" letters and the designer stated that some of the 3" letters would not work with a 4" hoop!

Now, keep in mind that in order to do any embroidery designs other than what comes loaded on the machine (like the one in my picture) you need a device for transferring the designs to the machine. That is another $120. You can find some cute free designs online, but the best ones cost money. My example cost $10 for the entire alphabet.

You did not ask this...but if I could rewind to last May when my husband said I could buy a machine, I would have put out more money for a better model. I've had my machine in the shop two times in less than a year at $85 a pop.

If I could turn back time I would go to a sewing machine shop and buy the best model that I could afford, even if it meant getting a used model. The machines made for Wal-mart and other box retailers are not the same quality as the machines you will find in a sewing store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s42590ta112477_1_0.jpg (26.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-11-2010, 08:52

I have one and like it. I have been sewing for a few years and this was my first new machine. I have had it for a year know and haven't had any problems with it. I plan on buy the little plug that goes with it to do more embroidery.For the money it is a decent machine.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50

Thanks so much for the replies. I want the machine mainly for monograms. Walmart sells it with a free card of alphabets...which is a $100 value.
I don't see myself doing a ton of sewing with it but I'd like to be able to put an initial on a bow.
Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:28

The built-in designs on the machine are not very big, which might be what the reviewer was referring to. If it comes with another card of alphabets you will have to check the specifics for that card to see how big the letters are. You can re-size a little on the machine, but not by much.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif