New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:46

Question Wood Burner? What do you use??

I am new to bow makeing and such and am hearing alot about wood burners and simular tools.

I make korkers, loop bows, and toggle headbands, so there is alot of cutting and sealing involved and I HATE HATE HATE using a lighter...I have a hard time with the child safety (having to click it hundreds of times - it gets really hard!) so I am just wondering what I should buy?

If I get a wood burner does that cut the ribbon and seal it? What other options are there? What do you use?

I don't have alot of money, so the cheaper the better, but I also want it to work well for what I am doing

Any help is appriciated! Thanks in Advance!!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 01-28-2010, 03:30

Default Re: Wood Burner? What do you use??

Just had to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble using lighters. I thought it was just me since I saw everyone else lighting it up with one click and it used to take me sooo many clicks and my finger would start to hurt too. It was so frustrating - I felt like I needed someone else to deal with the lighter for me but I didn't trust them to do the heat-sealing on my bows
I took off the child safety thing and that has made it easier for me. I also only use the Bic ones now since I tried to save money and buy a cheaper brand and it did not work very well!

I also heard everyone talking about the woodburners so I went to walmart and got one for I think $10. You should try it out. I myself just have not gotten used to it and I'm not even sure I was using it correctly. It left an awful burning smell and sometimes smeared the melted parts as I was running it across. I think I am just too used to the lighter now but if I could figure the woodburner out I guess it would be easier. Yes I believe you can cut and seal at the same time with a woodburner, I'm sure someone has more info on that.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:06

I was using one of the fire stick lighters and going through them like crazy, plus they didn't always start for me either. I also bought a woodburning tool at Walmart for $10. It works pretty neat if you ask me. It may take a little practice to get clean cuts. You need to cut the ribbon rather quickly, or it will melt it and make it all gloppy. The smell is a bit strong.

Cutting with a woodburning tool does indeed seal it at the same time. I absolutely love that. No need to cut and then seal..yay!

I'm just waiting for the day when I burn my finger or hand off...I'm such a klutz, I just know it will happen. I already just about burned a hole through my Kitchen Aid cord as I was working on my kitchen counter one night with it...yikes!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
I'm just waiting for the day when I burn my finger or hand off...I'm such a klutz, I just know it will happen. I already just about burned a hole through my Kitchen Aid cord as I was working on my kitchen counter one night with it...yikes!

Not sure if I want one now
Old 01-30-2010, 12:15

I read somewhere to tape the cord of the wood burner down. Tape it at a point where if it fell off your work surface it won't be able to reach the floor. I always worry it's going to fall off and burn the carpet in my office or fall in my lap and burn me!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntto4 View Post
Not sure if I want one now
Ooops...didn't mean to scare you! It really does make things easier. It's just a bit scary too for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjovais View Post
I read somewhere to tape the cord of the wood burner down. Tape it at a point where if it fell off your work surface it won't be able to reach the floor. I always worry it's going to fall off and burn the carpet in my office or fall in my lap and burn me!

Now that, is a brilliant idea! The cord is too long and gets in my way. Great tip..thanks!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:00

I just got my woodburner last night and let me tell you I am in LOVE! I cut and sealed probably 15 dowels of korkers last night in about 4-5 min when it used to take me 15-20 min if not more to cut and seal each individual one! This is going to help me so much in the next week as I have an order for 20 huge korkers due.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:16

I use the wood burner and it works miracles!

http://babytogirl.com
Old 02-01-2010, 11:52

Thanks everyone for your advice..My dad thinks he has one I can have, and if not I will be buying one...I can't wait! What do you guys cut on?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:17

I placed my cutting mat underneath a glass insert from a picture frame and it works for me.
Sponsored Links