New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:02

Default Re: Why are templates SO expensive? :(

i want to see the ribbon heaven templates can i get a link.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBowNoGo View Post
As a template seller I can help to answer this question. There is so much that goes into getting a product from an idea to market.
For me, there was more than a year of design, testing, getting samples from different manufacturers, writing the instructions, etc. (For some others... they just wait until someone else does all the work and copy) Did I just say that???
There were several alterations on the design and material alone (I did learn that acrylic shatters... lol) and I went through 3 manufacturers before finding the right one. The first one I paid close to $700 for the samples and did not like them, so that was just a loss.
My first orders have been small because I can't afford to order hundreds of thousands of templates, so I pay a lot more per template. If some major company came in and bought a million sets they'd be dirt cheap, but when you order smaller qty's they are a lot more. They are also very heavy when you put a bunch of them in a box and the shipping is OUTRAGEOUS!
By the time you calculate all the costs involved, fees you pay, and taxes, I can guarantee you nobody's getting rich off of them. And for those of us (ahem... me and Karyn who put a lot of effort into the instructions you get with it, that alone is worth a lot too.
I know a lot of people who sell their instructions for the same price as I sell my templates AND instructions, so I feel like it's a pretty good deal that you're getting an actual product as well and not just an ebook.
And for those of you that make your own, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Some will make them and some will buy... it's just a preference. I personally couldn't stand my floppy cardboard I started with and wobbly plastic that closed up in the center when I wrapped ribbon around it. I was determined to find something solid and sturdy and went on a mission which led me to where I am now. I did make my spiral bound book available in print for those who have their own templates but need instructions just for this reason.
Oh, and did I mention the trademark and patent? That's some BIG bucks there. I could have put a down payment on a house for what I spent on the patent, but wanted to protect my idea instead (So here I sit in this dumpy rent house ). The trademark protects my biz name and the patent will protect my template design when finalized. Can't wait for that day! Talk about a CELEBRATION!
I'm sure that's much more than you ever wanted to know... hehehehe
Sorry... but I could talk about this stuff all day. Have any other questions??? I'm an open book.
Devon
Devon I have Karyn`s instructions and I absolutely loveee them before them I was lost I couldn`t even tie my shoe laces...since I love them sooo much I am planning on buying some other templates and instructions because these have been worth every single penny and would like to have more options an ideas.
I`ve heard a lot of compliments about yours and since you know Karyn`s do you think I could learn different styles with yours?

And for the rest of you guys believe me this ladies put a lot of effort in making these Karyn`s templates are sturdy ,instructions are great and no more ribbon to the waste basket. I know it is an investment but you will get your money back with all the time and ribbon you save.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:28

Quote:
As a template seller I can help to answer this question. There is so much that goes into getting a product from an idea to market.
For me, there was more than a year of design, testing, getting samples from different manufacturers, writing the instructions, etc. (For some others... they just wait until someone else does all the work and copy) Did I just say that???
There were several alterations on the design and material alone (I did learn that acrylic shatters... lol) and I went through 3 manufacturers before finding the right one. The first one I paid close to $700 for the samples and did not like them, so that was just a loss.
My first orders have been small because I can't afford to order hundreds of thousands of templates, so I pay a lot more per template. If some major company came in and bought a million sets they'd be dirt cheap, but when you order smaller qty's they are a lot more. They are also very heavy when you put a bunch of them in a box and the shipping is OUTRAGEOUS!
By the time you calculate all the costs involved, fees you pay, and taxes, I can guarantee you nobody's getting rich off of them. And for those of us (ahem... me and Karyn who put a lot of effort into the instructions you get with it, that alone is worth a lot too.
I know a lot of people who sell their instructions for the same price as I sell my templates AND instructions, so I feel like it's a pretty good deal that you're getting an actual product as well and not just an ebook.
And for those of you that make your own, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Some will make them and some will buy... it's just a preference. I personally couldn't stand my floppy cardboard I started with and wobbly plastic that closed up in the center when I wrapped ribbon around it. I was determined to find something solid and sturdy and went on a mission which led me to where I am now. I did make my spiral bound book available in print for those who have their own templates but need instructions just for this reason.
Oh, and did I mention the trademark and patent? That's some BIG bucks there. I could have put a down payment on a house for what I spent on the patent, but wanted to protect my idea instead (So here I sit in this dumpy rent house ). The trademark protects my biz name and the patent will protect my template design when finalized. Can't wait for that day! Talk about a CELEBRATION!
I'm sure that's much more than you ever wanted to know... hehehehe
Sorry... but I could talk about this stuff all day. Have any other questions??? I'm an open book.
Devon
Yes, mine are flimsy, but if you don't pull the ribbon too hard it doesn't distort the template. The upside to having a thin template is the fact that an alligator clip will hold the ribbon on the template & they're really thin and easy to store. Now that I know I'm serious about bow-making I can't wait to get my new thicker templates & $20 is a great deal.

I just love your catch phrase "no bow no go". How did you come up with it?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
Yes, mine are flimsy, but if you don't pull the ribbon too hard it doesn't distort the template. The upside to having a thin template is the fact that an alligator clip will hold the ribbon on the template & they're really thin and easy to store. Now that I know I'm serious about bow-making I can't wait to get my new thicker templates & $20 is a great deal.

Me too!!!! I'm so excited to try them out!
Thanks to Shelley, otherwise I would never know about Ribbonheaven.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
i want to see the ribbon heaven templates can i get a link.
I'm so sorry!!! These are so new & are only offered on her Ribbonheaven paid membership group at the intro price right now (Link will give more info on RH if you're interested). They are a steal though! Many template sets sell for $40-$60 and additional instructions are extra. We will have an exclusive yahoo group set up with free instructions added & shared often. She will put them up on another website, tabbytemplates.com, when she is done with all of the paperwork that needs to be filed ahead of time. PM me if you want a sneak peek at ribbonheaven.com

Old 12-14-2009, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat font View Post
Devon I have Karyn`s instructions and I absolutely loveee them before them I was lost I couldn`t even tie my shoe laces...since I love them sooo much I am planning on buying some other templates and instructions because these have been worth every single penny and would like to have more options an ideas.
I`ve heard a lot of compliments about yours and since you know Karyn`s do you think I could learn different styles with yours?

And for the rest of you guys believe me this ladies put a lot of effort in making these Karyn`s templates are sturdy ,instructions are great and no more ribbon to the waste basket. I know it is an investment but you will get your money back with all the time and ribbon you save.
Karyn is absolutely amazing and created an incredible product. Our templates do have similarities, but differ in many ways as well. I think the finished bow styles are the main difference. If you are looking to learn some different styles, mine teach 7 different styles, plus some extras like stacked bows, loopies, twists, etc.
HTH,
Devon
Old 12-14-2009, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post

Thanks. The templates are still thin, but made of a type of plastic that won't bend or shatter... so the alligator clips still hold the ribbon on well. I use template clips (alligator clips with clip grips on both sides) but recently discovered double prongs work great at holding the ribbon on the templates too.

The biz name came from my friends hubby... lol. Although once I announced it on some groups I found out it's an old southern saying. Gotta love the south. ;oD
Here's the full story on the name...
http://nobownogo.blogspot.com/2008/1...s-in-name.html
Old 12-14-2009, 11:02

Quote:
Thanks. The templates are still thin, but made of a type of plastic that won't bend or shatter... so the alligator clips still hold the ribbon on well. I use template clips (alligator clips with clip grips on both sides) but recently discovered double prongs work great at holding the ribbon on the templates too.

The biz name came from my friends hubby... lol. Although once I announced it on some groups I found out it's an old southern saying. Gotta love the south. ;oD
Here's the full story on the name...
http://nobownogo.blogspot.com/2008/1...s-in-name.html
You know I've been considering buying these but I just can't decide which set to go with, do you recommend buying the more expensive set or is the $20 on sufficient?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhyde18 View Post
You know I've been considering buying these but I just can't decide which set to go with, do you recommend buying the more expensive set or is the $20 on sufficient?
Really depends on what your needs are. Most people get the 9 piece set if they make a lot of bows and that seems to cover it, but if you just make bows for yourself and friends the 4 piece might be enough. You can always start out basic and add on templates later if you need additional sizes.
HTH,
Devon
Old 12-14-2009, 11:17

I just wanted to say that i have the no bow no go templates and LOVE them! I had already mastered a twisted boutique bow but got the templates for all the other bows. Let me tell you that i can make a twisted boutique bow even faster now with the templates. No more guessing which length ribbon for what size bow. The instructions are written plain as day and even I can make a bow with them. I am a true cheap skate but decided to break down and buy the templates. I am sooo glad i did. NO regrets here! Great work Devon...Keep up the great work!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg