http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:29

Default Cricut Expression!

I just picked up my fancy new Cricut Expression at Walmart & I LOVE it! I'm so impressed by the intricate cuts it can do. I'm heading out to Joanns in a little bit to pick up some iron on backing so I can cut some fabric appliques. I can't wait & I just had to share my excitement!

The machine was $188 & my Walmart had 16 of them. I'm SO glad I got it, I know it was a good investment.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 11-27-2009, 08:24

Default Re: Cricut Expression!

I got one too!!!! Well, actually my husband did. He let me sleep in. I am really excited. Went to Michael's last night and got a couple of cartridges.
I would love to see your appliques...that is what I am planning to do with mine too.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:35

Your going to love your machine ladies. It is AWESOME. Hubby got me one last year just because.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:48

i asked the lady at walmart if it cuts fabric and she said it only cuts paper. now i read this thread and i see otherwise ugh.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:06

I didn't want the big one so I went to Joanns this morning and picked up the personal for just under $75. It's still in the car with the kids Christmas pressies! Wasn't going to buy it until I read about doing appliques. Now I have to decide whether it's worth it to go back tomorrow to get their cartridges for $28.88. Good price, but I'm so not used to getting up this early!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:12

I got the one at Joanna's too then went to michaels and bought cartridges
Old 11-27-2009, 02:31

I got the black one, too! I LOVE it. I haven't stopped playing with it!
It does cut fabric, vinyl, paper, cardstock... And I'm beyond thrilled because it cuts felt!

After reading the threads about how it doesn't work on felt, I researched it a little more & found a way to do it! I just finished a few pieces, I'll attach a picture. They aren't perfect but I've only tried on 2 sheets, so I'm sure with a little more tweaking I can get them even better. I haven't touched them up at all yet either. The more basic shapes came out really well, the ones with details on the inside will be a little more difficult. But I'm so happy with this machine!

I was planning on getting the personal one at Joanns too, but my mama decided to pay for the whole kit'n'caboodle & went with the fancy one! And who am I to argue...

Oh there's a little fabric flower in the picture, too. I'm going to try some bigger appliques next!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001.jpg (32.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 11-27-2009, 02:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia44 View Post
What's the best way to do the felt

I had the pazzles before this which was nice. But when I stopped scrapbooking I sold it. Then I got into cardmaking and got the cricut expression. Then I sold it. Then I saw the black cricut and wanted it because it matches my office stuff. Can't believe my husband went for it because I just ordered an embroidery machine on Weds.

My husband isn't going to be able to find me I'll be playing for days!
Haha, my husband won't be able to find me for awhile either! And that is SO awesome that yours went for you getting another machine! You just can't turn down the $188 deal.

For the felt, there are a couple options that I found. I tried 2 of them.

The first one is using stiffened felt (it's the $0.79 kind for a 9 x 12 sheet). It sticks to the mat really well & I had no problems cutting with it. I did hold the top of the felt down when the first few cuts were made, just to make sure it didn't slip when it started cutting. Then it was fine on it's own.

The second way I tried was using painters tape (or masking tape) on the back of the felt. It stiffens it up just enough & lets it stick to the cutting mat MUCH easier. Plus it's easy clean up!

The third way, that I haven't done but read on a tutorial somewhere was using starch to stiffen the felt then doing the same thing as using the already stiffened felt.

I tried a few different setting with the pressure, speed, & all that. Oh - I used a deep cutting blade for the felt. I also tried some with multi cut & some without. I think it comes out cleaner with multi cut.

Sorry that got so long, I hope it helps!
Old 11-27-2009, 03:34

I got a Cricut Expression yesterday for free. My friend had a brand new one that came in a bundle with cartridges from QVC and she's not using it. She's going to nursing school and won't have time to use it, so she gave it to me. I'm going to use it to cut felt for clippies and such. I kept hearing that it couldn't cut fabric or felt, but with a few Google searches I found out it can cut fabrics and felt if you use a stabilizer like Wonder Under. I can't wait to use it. Woohoo! Congrats to everybody who scored one.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:41

I ordered mine from HSN, they had an awesome deal going with a bundle package.
I cant wait to get it. I know tons of people who use it to cut fabric and felt, you just need to tweak it and play around a bit.
have fun ladies!
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg