ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:41

Default Removing Fabritac?

Can you get Fabritac off of your grosgrain ribbon with anything? I was making a bow last night that someone wants to look at today. I only had enough ribbon to make that one bow and of course, I get a bit of Fabritac on part of the bow. I don't think it will show when you put it in someone's hair, but it looks really bad when you flip the bow over. I just hate to show it to her like that and wondered if there was something that I could use to take the Fabritac off without ruining or discoloring the ribbon.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:51

Default Re: Removing Fabritac?

was wondering this too. On the bottle it says you can thin it with acetone, wonder if it would take it off without hurting the ribbon. I keep meaning to pick some up and do a test.

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Old 02-01-2008, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkynmunky View Post
was wondering this too. On the bottle it says you can thin it with acetone, wonder if it would take it off without hurting the ribbon. I keep meaning to pick some up and do a test.
That's what I was thinking- the acetone will take it off, but will it hurt the ribbon?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:07

don't know for sure, but i would think acetone would change the color- i know it does on wood.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:24

Acetone is pretty strong stuff ... I've got some - let me check and see what it does on a scrap...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:01

The effects of 100% acetone on various ribbon scraps:

These ribbons were set in a dish of acetone, rubbed to see if the color was coming off, rinsed with water, and patted dry with a paper towel.

Ribbon A = Offray solid
B= Offray print
C= Offray woven stripe
D= Wright's print
E= Print from Hobby Lobby - not sure exact brand
F= Schiff print

I've used acetone to remove the print from various things in the past, so I was more concerned for the printed ribbons. As far as I could tell, the acetone had absolutely no impact on the solid ribbon, woven ribbon, or the solid part of any of the printed ribbons so I think it's safe to say that for the most part the threads that are used to weave the ribbons are colorfast.

Printed ribbons B and E weren't affected, while the dots on ribbons D and F started to come off, especially when I rubbed them a little. Leads me to believe that the method used to transfer the ink onto the ribbon may determine how well it sticks and if it can be removed.

One thing I wonder though - while acetone can be used to thin it when it's in liquid form, I wonder if it will help once it has solidified. Kinda like paint thinner to thin liquid paint vs. once the paint is dried, ya know?

Let us know if you find out! I don't even own any fabri-tac so I can't try it for myself.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:37

[QUOTE=Tonya;36918]The effects of 100% acetone on various ribbon scraps:

Thanks for your test. The first ribbon you used is the exact ribbon and color I am trying to get the fabritac off of. I may try it to see what happens. I don't have any acetone but I have fingernail polish remover which is the same thing (unless you buy the acetone free). I will probably use a q-tip to try and rub it off since I don't want to put the whole bow in the acetone. I am fearful it may just thin the fabritac and spread it out over more of an area, but we'll see.

Tonya, what do you use to glue your bows?
Thanks,
Kimberly
Old 02-01-2008, 02:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileyscott View Post
Not to change thought of this thread- but can someone tell me about Fabritac? I hear a lot of people who use it..... I just use E-6000. I want to get a glue gun but the idea of "hot" glue gun scares me. I am not good with tools.
I don't find that the fabritac holds as strongly as the E6000, but I find that it works fine for fabric to fabric gluing. I use the E6000 for gluing plastic embellishments or buttons to fabric.

To me, the fabritac is easier to work with because you don't have the fumes and the clean up you have with the E6000. I can glue something and then cut through it with my wood burner, and even then there aren't many fumes. Unlike hot glue, it does take a few seconds of holding to dry, but I have perfected using alligator clips for this. When I first started using the fabritac, I just used a pin to punch holes in the top of the bottle- instead of clipping the tip. This made it come out really slow and made it very difficult to squeeze. However, I have now cut the tip and have a hard time keeping it from pouring out. Next time I will try to find a happy medium.

I have a question for you about the E6000, do you clean you tip in acetone each time you use it?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimm57 View Post
Tonya, what do you use to glue your bows?
I've only ever used hot glue on them. I've been really persistant in teaching all the kids not to cross the imaginary line that divides my craft area from the rest of the house so they don't get into my pins/scissors/hot stuff. I also made it a habit to always set it back in its spot at the back of my work space keeps to keep from bumping against it and accidentally burning myself.

Everything else takes longer to dry or is no where close to being non-toxic which I won't use on anything I make for children.

It's probably why I end up having to get creative when finding good ways to attach things so that they won't come off. When I cross anything toxic or long drying off the list, there aren't a lot of options left.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:37

I'd try nail polish remover first (diluted acetone) before going to the full strength stuff. Use a Q-tip and you should be able to confine the acetone to the problem area.
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies