key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 04:40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 16
Default NBNG or gator bite?

Hi I know some ppl have posted a similar thread before. But I still can't decide. Some ppl purchase both, because they are of different functions. But I can only afford one or the other. I wonder if I purchase NBNG, is the template somehow help you crease better (like by holding the bow so it won't move). I know some of you will be able to crease the bow no problem, with or without template, but I am dumb. What happen to me is I have to spend a lot of time making a bow I like, then after creasing, the bow looks aweful. Please help.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 04:57
lilredsmiles's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The beautiful pacific northwest baby!
Posts: 1,760
Default Re: NBNG or gator bite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexinan View Post
Hi I know some ppl have posted a similar thread before. But I still can't decide. Some ppl purchase both, because they are of different functions. But I can only afford one or the other. I wonder if I purchase NBNG, is the template somehow help you crease better (like by holding the bow so it won't move). I know some of you will be able to crease the bow no problem, with or without template, but I am dumb. What happen to me is I have to spend a lot of time making a bow I like, then after creasing, the bow looks aweful. Please help.
I make my own templates. Yes they help. You use alligator clips to hold the ribbon on the templates then stitch through the center. I won't make bows without them.

I've never bought instructions for anything! The creasing is all in your stitches & cinching.
__________________
Moderator for Ribbonheaven. Click here to learn more about RibbonHeaven!



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 445
Default Re: NBNG or gator bite?

Dp you a lot of little stitches or very few large stitches, Shelley? I have several sets of templates, and do my stitching to gold the bow together, and take off template and use my gator bite to crease. Easy as pie.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
I make my own templates. Yes they help. You use alligator clips to hold the ribbon on the templates then stitch through the center. I won't make bows without them.

I've never bought instructions for anything! The creasing is all in your stitches & cinching.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 07:04
khofkamp's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,559
Default Re: NBNG or gator bite?

I have both, but I have only used them together once(I just got the gator bite)

For me personally I think the NBNG alone is better than the gator bite alone, I was able to get basically the same crease as the gator bite just by putting the string through the center of the NBNG template and then pull tight, hold the bow and knot down with one finger, slide the template out, then hold the bow down while I tighten the string further....I HATE sewing. LOL I still take a needle and thread up the middle a couple times, but I dont sew to get the crease.

With just the gator bite I still run into the problem of bows not being centered and having even loops.

Krista
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 07:17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 16
Default Re: NBNG or gator bite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khofkamp View Post
I have both, but I have only used them together once(I just got the gator bite)

For me personally I think the NBNG alone is better than the gator bite alone, I was able to get basically the same crease as the gator bite just by putting the string through the center of the NBNG template and then pull tight, hold the bow and knot down with one finger, slide the template out, then hold the bow down while I tighten the string further....I HATE sewing. LOL I still take a needle and thread up the middle a couple times, but I dont sew to get the crease.

With just the gator bite I still run into the problem of bows not being centered and having even loops.

Krista
So Krista, is the NBNG templates help to hold the bow?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:13
RochelleVitina's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 12
Default Re: NBNG or gator bite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexinan View Post
So Krista, is the NBNG templates help to hold the bow?
I just got the brilliant bowmaker's templates and love them... I also got the gator bite too. If I had to choose it would be the templates you get more for you money; the crease and center is all up to you w/ a gator bite. The templates give you a center to work w/ so to speak, but the gator bite requires you to find the center/crease you want and then it holds it in place for you so that you can tie it tightly and securely. My new favorite thing (as a side note) is upholstery thread which I adore now, and will not break like elastic thread does--- I like the crease it creates too.
... maybe you should ask Santa Clausa for one in your stocking .*)

I hope that helps.
Rochelle
__________________
Mamma to 3 girls
California Girl At Heart
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:33
kksand's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 449
Default Re: NBNG or gator bite?

I just got the NGNB system and I LOVE IT. I wish I purchased it earlier....I have spent so much time researching and looking for tips that is in that instruction booklet. I love sewing though, so to me, it is relaxing. I have so much going on right now, so convenience was a big factor for me! I just like that all of my bows are now uniform and they take me just minutes to make (aside from lining the clip and putting together).
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:41
khofkamp's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,559
Default Re: NBNG or gator bite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexinan View Post
So Krista, is the NBNG templates help to hold the bow?
No, I use the alligator clips like the instructions show, then I put a string through just like you would with the gator bite. But you cant pull it all the way tight so I pull as tight as I can then hold it with one hand and slide the NBNG temp. out with the other, then I press both pointer fingers down on the bow and pull tight.

I think I have a picture somewhere.....

Ok this was taken before I used the NBNG templates but you can see what I mean by pressing down with my fingers and pulling tight at the same time I always get a great crease doing this.

Krista
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:44
khofkamp's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,559
Default Re: NBNG or gator bite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khofkamp View Post
No, I use the alligator clips like the instructions show, then I put a string through just like you would with the gator bite. But you cant pull it all the way tight so I pull as tight as I can then hold it with one hand and slide the NBNG temp. out with the other, then I press both pointer fingers down on the bow and pull tight.

I think I have a picture somewhere.....

Ok this was taken before I used the NBNG templates but you can see what I mean by pressing down with my fingers and pulling tight at the same time I always get a great crease doing this.

Krista
picture didnt attach for some reason

Now that I have the NBNG templates to find the center I dont use the clips like you see in the picture, this was just how I did my itty bitty bows before I got my templates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5499.jpg (39.2 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:57
lilredsmiles's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The beautiful pacific northwest baby!
Posts: 1,760
Default Re: NBNG or gator bite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansnana View Post
Dp you a lot of little stitches or very few large stitches, Shelley? I have several sets of templates, and do my stitching to gold the bow together, and take off template and use my gator bite to crease. Easy as pie.
I do 1 stitch per width of 3/8, 2 stitches per width of 7/8, and 3 stitches per width of 1.5".

That's a neat method! I always wondered if Gator-bite bows that were just tied came apart. Not if you pre-stitch!
__________________
Moderator for Ribbonheaven. Click here to learn more about RibbonHeaven!



Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger