http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:55

Default Re: Cheer bow instructions please

Beautiful bows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcks2001 View Post
My best advice would be to purchase the NBNG instructions. They are the best and lay everything out step by step.

As you go along you will make changes that make it easier for you. Please feel free to send a quick note if you need help. I've made plenty of bows and am always happy to share my tips.

I agree with KSC Cheer's post. 2 1/4" ribbon should be the minimum size for the base layer of bow. Anything smaller looks odd. I too love the 3" ribbon. It is also available in most colors. If you need to make 60, I would suggest ordering your ribbon from Dunwood Booth. The sell it in large spools of 50 yards. Their prices are very competitive and the ship super fast.

I normally use Sy Fabrics for sequined fabric. Here again, their prices are reasonable and they too ship super fast.

I have attached a couple of pics from two of the many teams I did this year. They were finalists at the Eastern Region Championships for Pop Warner. The other is my DD. It gives a closeup of one of the bows. And the last is one I did for another Pop Warner organization might give you an idea of the layering.

Feel free to PM if you need any further help! Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 07-29-2010, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingedT View Post
Beautiful bows!
Thank you!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:53

I also just purchased the NBNG instructions. Can't wait to try them out. If you ladies don't mind me asking on this post. Is there more than 1 style of cheer bows. I mean are the ones they wear for games the same style they would wear for competitions
Old 07-30-2010, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonahoe View Post
I also just purchased the NBNG instructions. Can't wait to try them out. If you ladies don't mind me asking on this post. Is there more than 1 style of cheer bows. I mean are the ones they wear for games the same style they would wear for competitions
Competition bows are flashier. Sequins, several layers. Though every school is different. I have school that like the simple solid colors 2 colors, some like 3 colors. Cost factors into some decisions.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonahoe View Post
There are a few different styles of cheer bows. While I have been able to figure out how they're made, I don't believe the NBNG instructions have them. However, I am sure there are other tutorials out there.

You can make the standard shape/size bow with the NBNG instructions. Some people make bows with the tails that hang out to the side which are quite cute for lower ponytails. Also, some people use korker ribbon to make pom bows for their girls. And then there are streamers which also look great for games.

I find that most older girls prefer a standard cheer bow for all occasions. The younger ones tend to like just about anything that makes them look like a cheerleader.

Barbara is correct in the use of sequins or other fabrics. I really only would recommend them for competitions. While they probably would hold up for an entire season if properly cared for, they are just a little more fragile than a plain or layered grosgrain bow.

For competition bows, I am a big believer in experimenting with different fabrics. You never know what you can dream up. The more original your teams can look, the better. You should check out some of the main cheer bow websites out there like Power Bows (powerbows.com) or Yella Ribbon (yellaribbon.com) They have some beautiful bows which I am sure will inspire you.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookshomemadegoods View Post
I just got an order for 60 cheerbows
I'm only charging 6 dollars a bow but didn't realize what they were wanting. I thought I would be doing a simple cheerbow but now it is involving a lot more. So I'm no cheer bow expert. I really need to know who has the best instructions. The kind where the ribbon is all together before forming the bow and the other has the sequin fabric. Does anyone have any free instructions or paid instructions and who has the best. Please help I have to make them soon. Thanks Ladies
I have never bought instructions but i do have some post on here about cheerbows... I did about 1500 last year (not including my other bows).. please pm me with any questions you may have
Old 10-23-2010, 05:29

Can't wait to get started on one!!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyboo1102 View Post
I have never bought instructions but i do have some post on here about cheerbows... I did about 1500 last year (not including my other bows).. please pm me with any questions you may have
Do you have the link on these bows???
Where can I buy the instructions for the cheer bows??
Thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:50

I don't sell instructions but I am willing to help you
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif