Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:21

Default Re: wood burner

I just found some woodburner in use pics that I sent to a friend a little while back - I knew I had them somwhere! Leave it to me to 'lose' pictures on my own computer.

I can post them here if you'd like. There's my work area set-up (with the glued-down stands), cutting straight lines, cutting V's (like for spikes), cutting circles, and free-hand 'drawing,' all with the woodburner.

Just let me know!
Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2008, 06:53

Yes please post of course. I just got my wood burner last night at hobby lobby. I thought it was gonna be like $25 but I bought the basic one for $14.99 plus the coupon saved me $6 bucks so that was even better. I plugged it in and started working on my ribbons...scary. It gets really hot. I have to save it for night time when my lil ones are asleep. Anyway..I like it.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:26

Tonya I would love to pics!!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:34

I would love pics too! I have a woodburner- but am scared to use it. It would probably save me time though. Although.. remember the post about me dropping my hot glue gun on my BARE foot? (I still have a horrible scar!) So yea.. still scared.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:47

Oooh-- yes Tonya please!!! I don't use my woodburner because I ALWAYS use the V cut on my bows and can't do it with my woodburner. I was told to do it just like I cut it with the ribbon folded in half and I always seal the two peices together-- I now when someone explains to me how to do it I will be lie-- Duh CIndy- but please help me!! I lvoe using my lighter, But I have noticed that I ust be missing some of my ends, cause they fray the tiniest bit. Thanks!!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrisMommy View Post
Oooh-- yes Tonya please!!! I don't use my woodburner because I ALWAYS use the V cut on my bows and can't do it with my woodburner. I was told to do it just like I cut it with the ribbon folded in half and I always seal the two peices together-- I now when someone explains to me how to do it I will be lie-- Duh CIndy- but please help me!! I lvoe using my lighter, But I have noticed that I ust be missing some of my ends, cause they fray the tiniest bit. Thanks!!!!
I have the same problem!!! I love my woodburner for straight cuts, but when I do a V I still use scissors and a lighter

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Old 01-27-2008, 04:36

Alrighty, here are the pics!

My setup:
To prevent my hot tools from burning cords, me, etc, I glue the stands down to make them more stable when they're resting.

Straight lines:
How I hold my metal ruler. It has cork on the back, which is nice because it helps me keep a hold on it. The cork doesn't go all the way to the edge though, so even when I use it upside down the woodburner only comes into contact with metal. (except for the burn marks when I used it as a quick-fix to clean off my burner one time)

Hold your ruler along the 'line' you want cut with one hand

Use the other hand to draw along the ruler (just like if you were drawing a straight line with a pencil/pen and a ruler). Imagine my other hand is still holding the ruler - that's important, but I had no third hand for the camera so the ruler one had to pull double duty.

The result: a nice, clean, crisp straight line.

Making a 'V':
It takes 2 cuts, but really, that's not much more time invested at all, and the end result is worth it I think since it looks so clean and sharp.

Hold ruler with one hand, and starting from the very middle of the ribbon, use the other hand to draw the woodburner toward the outside of the ribbon to make one side of the 'V' ... again, imagine my other hand is actually there, holding the ruler in place.

Turn the ruler to match the angle for the other side of the 'V' and repeat. Yes, the ruler hand is again invisible.

The result is a sharp, crisp V:

(There were how to cut circles with coin pics at this point, but since that is shown in several other instructions of mine I'll leave them out)

Free hand cutting:

Turn the woodburner point 'upside down.'

Find some scrap ribbon to practice on. It's kinda like learning calligraphy in a way - you can only move your 'pen' in two directions. I always go downward and toward the right. For instance, when making an "O" I start at the top left and go clockwise to the bottom right. Then I pick up my burner and go back to the top left to go counterclockwise to the bottom right. Practice writing your name into the ribbon until you get the hang of it:

Once you've got your name down (that's the easiest thing to start with because you already have muscle memory from writing your name all your life) move to other things, like flowers, etc.

Moving in a downward direction only is especially helpful when making grass:

Hope that helps!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:59

Wow Tonya THanks!!! And see-- I did without even realizing it. As soon as I got to the part about the "V"cut, I said-- oh DUH!! I'm such a nerd, I know. Thanks!!!!! -- I am gonna try it tonight!!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:10

tonya that was so awesome of you...one more question, other then cutting the ribbon....what do you use the names and drawing for, i was thinking about doing a name and then a darker ribbon behind it for a bow, is that stupid....lol
Old 01-29-2008, 04:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg2577 View Post
tonya that was so awesome of you...one more question, other then cutting the ribbon....what do you use the names and drawing for, i was thinking about doing a name and then a darker ribbon behind it for a bow, is that stupid....lol
I've only used the name thing for practice. I'm sure it could be used for other things, but anytime I want a name on ribbon I usually go ahead and embroider it. Never thought of using the burner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileyscott
Thank you soooo much Tonya for the pics. I have been so scared of a wood burner but I may go get one now. I have spent so much time of a perfect "v" cut. This makes it look more simple. So I am hearing Jo-Anns, where else can I get a wood burner tool?
I got mine at Hobby Lobby and used one of their 40% internet coupons - I thought a little over $7 was too good a price to pass up.
Sponsored Links