New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:25

Default Please Help- Anyone who's made headbands!

Hello, I'm so happy to have found this forum! I have a few questions regarding the best type of adhesive to use on plastic headbands.

1. I want to adhere designer fabric to smoothly cover the headband. From what I can gather spray adhesive seems to be the most commonly used but I want something that I don't have to take outside and is not toxic to use in the presence of my 2 year old. I will not be putting anything else on the headbands so it is important that the glue is smooth and does not show through the fabric, etc.

2. For the woven ribbon headbands glue gun is used to tack the ribbon. In your experience does this hold long-term? I want to sell my products so it's very important that they last. Has anyone tried glue dots or anything else?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me as I am new to this and totally clueless. It would save me a ton of time and money.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/forum-ads-wool-felt-sm.jpg
Old 09-22-2009, 06:48

Default Re: Please Help- Anyone who's made headbands!

I use professional heavy duty double sided tape (Sealah brand currently) along the inside of my headbands, but you could also use it on the outside too. It does not show through, is neat and is very easy to use. I wrap them on a diagonal and at the end I use either e6000 or fabri-tac to seal the ends. I don't use hot glue since it always ends up lumpy.

If you want to try it, there is a group buy on here right now for a product that is supposedly even better (and cheaper) than Sealah. I am definitely trying it and if you want to also do a search in the 'group buys' section (afeincreation is the person organizing it). It may still be open, but I'd hurry.

It also is perfect for lining clippies. They look so professional and smooth when lined with this tape. I just reinforce the outer end of ribbon with a tiny bit of hot glue when I do them.

HTH!
Lauren

btw - welcome~!

Here is the link to that group buy: http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/group-buys/29523-new-tape-buy-september.html

Last edited by devilicious; 09-22-2009 at 06:56.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15

I totally agree with the Sealah tape! I wrapped 50 over the weekend all nice & smooth with the tape. I havent done fabric covered ones yet, but I am in on the hairparts buy, so when my foam headbands come in I will try to cover them with fabric & use the Sealah tape.
HTH!
Monica
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by candycoutureclippies View Post
I totally agree with the Sealah tape! I wrapped 50 over the weekend all nice & smooth with the tape. I havent done fabric covered ones yet, but I am in on the hairparts buy, so when my foam headbands come in I will try to cover them with fabric & use the Sealah tape.
HTH!
Monica
Not to hijack but....
If you wouldn't mind sharing, I would love to know how you do your foam headbands! I bought some last year and still have not touched them. lol Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

Old 09-22-2009, 10:02

I would love to know how you wrap the regular headbands???? I tired, and I can never get the ribbon even! Is there a trick????
Old 09-23-2009, 12:32

Thank you sooo much! I have spent so much time researching the internet on this it's ridiculous. I'm def. going to look into that tape. I live in Canada so wonder if I can buy it here. Probably will have to order online like everything else. Our craft supply selection here is not very good.

What's a "group buy". Do you have to live in the U.S.?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2L View Post
Thank you sooo much! I have spent so much time researching the internet on this it's ridiculous. I'm def. going to look into that tape. I live in Canada so wonder if I can buy it here. Probably will have to order online like everything else. Our craft supply selection here is not very good.

What's a "group buy". Do you have to live in the U.S.?
A group buy is when a bunch of members go in on a purchase so as to get the lowest price possible. Sometimes the minimums on things are very high (ex. appliques). Spreading it out to many people helps meet that minimum and get the lowest wholesale price. It's a great idea actually. I just went in on my first two group buys - this tape and for appliques.

I think afeincreation will ship to you in Canada. You pay for shipping, but I don't think it is that expensive. Depends on how much you buy. I once bought 2 rolls of Sealah tape for someone who lived in Scotland and the shipping was only $4.00 or so.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:41

Quote:
HTH!
Monica
When I cover headbands, I cover the 1/2 ones with 5/8 ribbon. I tape the under side with my new love (SEALAH) then just wrap diagnal, (keeping the ribbon tight)tuck under the ends at the end of headband. If I can find my picture upload thing, I will upload pics later. If there is any bunching up of the ribbon,after im done i just work it out with my nail..
I haven't yet done the fabric covered ones but im thinking just cut the fabric 1/2 inch longer on ea side, run a line of SEALAH underneath, wrap-both sides then cover the seam with chinese braid-on a foam 1inch headband.
-Monica

Last edited by candycoutureclippies; 09-23-2009 at 09:00.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg