http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:02

Default Crystals and CPSIA

So is it best just not to use rhinestones at all? I use them for my bow centers on my onesies and ribbon shirts. I don't want to get in trouble but I just love rhinestones. I also use them on my bottlecap necklaces as well as the dominos.

What are yall doing about this?

thanks

Dawn
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 09-14-2009, 12:11

Default Re: Crystals and CPSIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnponders View Post
I'd only use the ones you have certs for. I know the rhinestone guy sells some that are certified.
Same here. Swarovski crystals are not compliant, so I have replaced them with the less sparkly acryllic ones.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:30

I hate the acrylics. A lot of them just look cheap, and I can't hotfix them. It's hard enough to get the hotfix ones on because I have trouble with carpal tunnel...using tweezers with acrylics is just too difficult. Plus, they just don't look the same. How many kids eat rhinestones?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:52

This was on a website of a Swarovski suplier... I just wanted to share...

Swarovski Overview Statement on Lead Content 10/16/08

Recently, there has been an increased regulatory focus on potential human exposure to lead from various consumer products, including jewelry. We hope that our customers will find this overview of current requirements applicable to lead in jewelry and other products useful. Recognizing that the regulatory landscape is rapidly changing, however, it remains the responsibility of our business customers to assure that their use of crystal in jewelry and other products is consistent with all applicable requirements.

How is lead in crystal different from lead in other products? Crystal has unique properties. The crystal manufacturing process creates a matrix, which inhibits the mobility of lead. Because of this structure, lead crystal poses no significant risk of excessive lead exposure to human health via surface contact (hand to mouth), mouthing or even ingestion. By contrast, lead in other materials that might be used in jewelry, such as coatings, metal or plastic, may be accessible to consumers. That is why some regulatory bodies, like the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), have focused on children’s metal jewelry and surface coatings, and not crystal.

Has crystal been tested to assess the potential for lead exposure? Swarovski crystals have been tested under a variety of test methods for extractable lead, including the CPSC’s Standard Operating Procedure for Determining Lead (Pb) and Its Availability in Children’s Metal Jewelry, ASTM F963-03 (the standard on accessible lead in toys), and EN 71/3 (the European standard for lead in toys). Test conditions and procedures do vary, but lead levels are well below regulatory limits even when the crystal is tested in an acid solution to maximize the release of lead.

What are the current national limits applicable to lead in crystal jewelry? The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008 was signed into law by President Bush on August 14, 2008. According to this law, the age of a child has been defined as 12 and under. All products for a child are required to have less than 600ppm lead by February 10, 2009 and the limit progressively decreases to 300ppm within 1 year and 100ppm within 3 years, if feasible. The CPSC does not have any restrictions on the use of crystal in adult jewelry; therefore, this would only be relevant to products intended for children as defined above.

Do state limits apply to crystal jewelry? The CPSIA includes language that prevents states from passing their own lead limits on children’s products. The states that had legislation in place prior to the Federal Act passing will now defer to the national standard. Certain states that have legislation referencing lead in adult products would not be affected by the CPSIA.

What is Swarovski doing? Swarovski will try to keep you informed of actions that affect your use of our products. Recognizing that the regulatory landscape changes often, it remains the responsibility of our business customers to assure that their use of crystal in jewelry and other products is consistent with all applicable requirements.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:04

I'm confused. So are they okay to use? They said that they test below the limits but did not state what the test result actually was, right?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia44 View Post
I have this place bookmarked I don't know if it will help or even work for you but thought I would share it anyways.
http://www.craftsafe.com/craftsafe-l...hinestones.asp
What I posted is from them, too!

I was just trying to share what I found, I know they have lead in them, I will be interest to see how it all works out! They (swarovski) also have said that the crystals do not break down, & a ton would have to be ingested to pose a risk. I have personally started using low lead crystals for our products until it's all worked out with the new law. However, I still use swarovski for teens/adult products (@ least for now).
Old 09-29-2009, 11:00

oh my goodness! that is so scary! and here i was looking for a hotfix tool and some swarovski crystals. that makes me nervous to put them on the bows my daughter will be using. 32% lead?! that's ridiculous!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:13

The lead doesn't leach from the crystals like lead in porcelain glaze or paint might. Usually kids absorb lead from eating lead paint chips or from inhaling the dust during renovation. I'm actually undergoing chelation because I was found to have dangerously high levels of lead in my system. I highly doubt it is from my crystal fixation.

So for now, I'll still put hot fix on dd's clothes but not anything I sell for kids.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfordpower View Post
I hate the acrylics. A lot of them just look cheap, and I can't hotfix them. It's hard enough to get the hotfix ones on because I have trouble with carpal tunnel...using tweezers with acrylics is just too difficult. Plus, they just don't look the same. How many kids eat rhinestones?
So, are acrylic rhinestones o.k. to use?
Sponsored Links