New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:27
Question Bow Center Advice

I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks...

I love all of the cute bow centers (polymer, resins, etc...).

And I've noticed that customers prefer to purchase bows with the centers (especially gymboree bows).

My question is this...

I don't like to overcharge for bows because I think that everyone should be able to afford them.
When I purchase a center to go on the bow...the cheapest polymer center I've found is $1.50-$2.00 each (plus shipping).

So if I'm making a bow that I charge $3.00 for...I will need to bump the price up to $5.00 at least (and that doesn't even cover the shipping that I paid on the centers or give me any profit off of it).

If I were a potential customer....I'm not sure I'd want to pay over $5.00 for a single bow or over $10 for a set (were talking about $3.00 medium bows--not even talking about the big stacked or layered ones).

So....what do you think? Most of the moms with Gymboree prefer centers over bottlecaps because they look much better.

But usually when you quote a price with a center scares them away. (I know...if they want the center...they should be willing to pay extra...but most don't)

I'm no where NEAR talented or patient enough to try to make them myself.

How do you justify the price of the centers? Usually...the centers cost more than some of my bow prices without them!

Thanks for listening and for any advice
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 01:33
Default Re: Bow Center Advice

Gymbo moms will pay extra to have the bows match. Buy a few centers and try it out
Old 08-26-2009, 02:24

I love the clay centers and after looking at a few, I can do a few myself-(everyone on here really did help me though) - try the dollar store. I have found so many cute centers that were suppose to be ornaments etc. Everywhere I go now I check Big Lots for ribbon and dollar stores for centers.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:47

Clay centers are expensive, so if they want them they'll just have to pay! People can be so cheap sometimes.
Boutique Bottle Cap, Scrabble Tile and Glass Tile Images

Old 08-26-2009, 04:25

I would charge more for the clay entered bows. You are totally justified in doing so as the materials cost more, not to mention your time to find them and order them and the cost of shipping. Those that want them will pay for them. Maybe try a few and see if they sell in your area.

I make my own bows, and generally do not use clay centers....unless it is for a Gymbo outfit
Old 08-26-2009, 05:34

Could you quote two prices? One price for a plain/bottlecap bow and then give the option for a clay center with a different price.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:58

You will not be overcharging simply by figuring in your cost. Don't be afraid to make your prices reflect the time you spend, and the supplies you use. Keep in mind, if you are selling these, you need to know that your centers are lead-free (CPSIA--if you don't know about it do a search on this forum). I would be hesitant to buy from places such as Big Lots and discount stores, as they likely cannot show the documentation that the testing has been done. Embellishments such as centers are much more likely to come off of a bow than any other piece, so wherever you purchase from I would make sure they have documentation of lead testing.

Sponsored Links
hip girl boutique LLC forum advertisement--pink-lily-wholesale