Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:59

Default Mod-Podge?????

OK, crafty ladies. I am at a total loss when it comes to this stuff!!!!! Someone - help!!!! This is not bow related, but craft related. I have been making some decorative clipboards with scrapbook paper. Just made an amazing one for a raffle at school next Tuesday - and dang if after all paper, etc. was glued down, I went over the entire thing with MP, and the paper is now all wavy!!!!! I could freakin' cry!!!! Should I NOT be using this crapola to seal??? Maybe just spray with acrylic sealer??? I do not get it!!! Why does everyone use it on paper, but it wrinkles and ruins your project!??!?!?!? HELP!!!!
Shelley
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:19

Default Re: Mod-Podge?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by sla762 View Post
OK, crafty ladies. I am at a total loss when it comes to this stuff!!!!! Someone - help!!!! This is not bow related, but craft related. I have been making some decorative clipboards with scrapbook paper. Just made an amazing one for a raffle at school next Tuesday - and dang if after all paper, etc. was glued down, I went over the entire thing with MP, and the paper is now all wavy!!!!! I could freakin' cry!!!! Should I NOT be using this crapola to seal??? Maybe just spray with acrylic sealer??? I do not get it!!! Why does everyone use it on paper, but it wrinkles and ruins your project!??!?!?!? HELP!!!!
Shelley

I've had the same problem. I never understand how people can get the paper to look so good after they use MP. I end up having to spray it with an acrylic sealer. You can check out this http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com/ maybe email the girl that writes the blog she maybe able to answer your question.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:36

To use the MP without your paper getting bumpy and wavy, you need to take the clipboard, or whatever it is that you want to cover with paper, and cover it with the MP first. While the MP is wet, lay the paper on it and then let it dry. After it dries, use a nail file, or blade, to remove the unwanted paper that hangs off the edges, if any, then apply the MP again over the paper. Let me know if you have any question...Hope this helps!! Good Luck!!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:33

Yes, I learned the hard way as well not to put MP on after I placed my paper. I put it on first, then apply my paper and let it dry, then I seal it. I make lightswitch covers decopauged with candy wrappers and have never had a problem this way. But, I use a varnish type sealer--I'm not sure if that's what you would want to use to seal your clipboards or not...

hth

Sarah
Old 08-19-2009, 08:42

OK - so MP first - maybe that was my problem??? I used a different glue to adhere the paper to the clipboard. Then let dry and MP over the top a few times???

I have salvaged the clipboard I made I think. I am on my 3rd coat of MP and the wrinkles are still there, but you can't see them as well. I am hoping by sealing more it will be better. I will do another one today and let you know how it goes! Yikes! I love these things for gifts, but dang!!!! I don't want to do the whole thing with layers of embellishments, etc. and in the topcoat totally ruin it!!! ACK!!!! Thanks ladies!!!
Shelley
Old 08-19-2009, 10:24

I always have problems with modge podge too.,...you can alwyas see streaks in it
Old 08-19-2009, 01:12

Think of your Mod Podge as a glue and a sealant. I would suggest lightly sanding the surface of the clipboard to ensure that the paper/modpodge adheres well.

1. Sand the clipboard
2. Put a moderate amount of modpodge on the clipboard and put your paper on. Smooth it out with your fingers to ensure no bubbles.
3. Let it dry (15-20minutes, usually)
4. Apply 2-3 light coats of mod-podge over the paper, letting it dry in between.
5. Optionally, if you want a VERY shiny surface, after everything is completely dry, lightly sand with superfine grit sandpaper (it us usally black and doesn't feel sandy at all) and finish off by rubbing some steel wool. This will make the surface so smooth and shiny.

T
Old 08-19-2009, 02:52

MP is fun to work with, but everyone is right. You MP your paper onto the surface and then mp your paper after it dries. You usually need 2 or 3 coats, but it makes it shiny and pretty. I've never had the problem with the streaks, but I'm not shy about how much MP I put on a project either.

Good luck with your project!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:44

Whew! Thank you ladies - all of you, for your incredible advice!!! I do not scrapbook - but am in LOVE with scrapbook papers!!!!! I hope the clipboard I made for the raffle will go over well. It looks pretty good. I need some brown now to finish the other one I started! And now i WILL be using MP as my glue underneath as well!!!! THank you!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:52

thank you everyone! i had a problem with my clipboard, the paper was peeling up, and it was wrinkled or warped!!!

i am going to try this again!

ps - i bought my clipboards at the dollar store. what a find! i had to dig around the school supply area!