printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:32

Default those who use Sealah..

I just got some Sealah and started lining clips with it, but those who have experience with it, do you feel that the ribbon really stays well enough on the clip? I feel like even after rubbing it alot, I can pull off the ribbon, and that makes me really nervous!!!
any advice?? really dont want to sell a clip that will come apart with some use!
(on a side note, it really is suuuuper fast and easy to line the clip with tape!!!)
Fay

Old 07-31-2009, 01:13

Default Re: those who use Sealah..

I've not used the actual "Sealah" brand, but have been using something similar that was offered on a group buy on here. I still worry about the same thing too. I can pull at it a lot more than when I use hot glue. I have been using it though because it is a lot easier and looks better I think. I was wondering about using the tape but putting a little dab of hot glue at the end of the ribbon where it attaches at the backside of the clip. Does that make since? I wondered if this would work. This is the spot that I really worry about kids picking at it and thought maybe a dab of hot glue there would ease my concerns.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:20

I actually think that is a brilliant idea with the dab of hotglue. Smart thinking.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
I've not used the actual "Sealah" brand, but have been using something similar that was offered on a group buy on here. I still worry about the same thing too. I can pull at it a lot more than when I use hot glue. I have been using it though because it is a lot easier and looks better I think. I was wondering about using the tape but putting a little dab of hot glue at the end of the ribbon where it attaches at the backside of the clip. Does that make since? I wondered if this would work. This is the spot that I really worry about kids picking at it and thought maybe a dab of hot glue there would ease my concerns.
I use both hot glue and sealah tape, depends on my mood and what I have out at the time. When I use the tape, I do the same exact thing, put a dab of glue at the end of the ribbon. I think it helps to reninforce it.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:48

I am doing the same thing but I line the inside of the clip and the top. I hot glue everything else. It seems to be working well.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:38

That's how I do it too. I line the inside and the top (because the center of my bow will then be wrapped around and under that half of the clip), and then I hot glue the last bit under the clip.

Sometimes the top part will come up, and I will put a dab of glue between the ribbon and the clip using a tooth pick.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:23

I just ordered the tape and I was afraid of the same thing. I will probably go with the dab of hot glue also.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:23

I use something similar to sealah. I've found that there are certain ribbons that just won't work with the tape... maybe I'm doing something wrong. Works great with satin and most grosgrain, but the really slippery ribbon like some American Craft ribbon "pops" off.

I'm thinking that it also might have to do with cure time. The sealah tape as well as other similar tapes do have a curing time which is normally 24-48 hours. I absolutely DO NOT sell my clips until they've been together at least 48 hours. If you don't line the ribbon and then the clip at the same time or shortly after, the curing starts without the lined clip being completed. Does this make any sense? Okay, basically if you take the tape off the roll, the sticky part that is exposed to the air begins to cure, but since the sticky is all one part between the slick pieces, the whole thing begins to cure. That way, if you line the ribbon and wait to line the clip, it will be partly cured and won't stick to the clip as well.

I'm sure there's a better way to explain this LOL! I hope it makes sense and helps.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:47

I tried my above mentioned theory this evening. I lined my ribbon with the tape, except I left about a 1/4 inch at the end without tape. Then I lined my clip with it leaving my 1/4 piece without the tape for the back side of my clip. When I got to the end, I dabbed my hot glue on the piece without tape to secure the ribbon to the back of the clip. I must say I like this method a lot. The clip still looks great, nice and smooth and I secured the back side better by using the hot glue. I feel that it will be less likely for a child to pick apart with the hot glue at the end. Just my opinion, but I will be doing them all this way from now on. I hope this all made sense!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:22

the dab of hot glue is a great idea, buuut, my whole reasonning for using a tape produce was to be able to move away from the hot glue gun (i dont mind lining clips with hot glue, i have found a rhythm that works for me, but i just dont think they look as "clean" and its takes so much longer than using tape)
I just ordered the tape from the group by, i will try that one and see if it is better.. i may just stick with hot glue, glue and tape seems like double work..