http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:13

Default What is better than Hot Glue?

I just got some feed back on some testers I sent to a friend in Canada. She mentioned one of the bows was taken on a fully covered clip, the glue did not hold with her toddler playing with it!

Is there a better way to attach small bows to the clips? I would be hard pressed to sew the small ones onto the covered clips.

Better glue than hot glue?

Thank you so so much!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 06-07-2009, 02:46

Default Re: What is better than Hot Glue?

You need to make sure you have a high temp glue gun and let it heat for at least 10 minutes before using it. Cover the clip with glue and immediately put the bow on it otherwise it will cool and not hold well. I've never had a bow come off doing it that way

Wife to Rod and Momma to Tyreque, Ladaria, Raquel, Brayana, Destini, Jaleel, Makkiah, Taniyah and Cavelle along with my angel in heaven Angie and 85 foster kids who have left imprints on my heart
All Ribboned Out Remember Me Pillows to Remember your loved one whose far away
Old 06-07-2009, 02:58

I agree too! I use a high temp glue gun and use it on everything I do and have never had a problem
Old 06-07-2009, 02:59

E-6000 works great but stinks and the tubes will get gunked up after awhile. 3-in-1 glue works well and is in a squeeze bottle with pointed tip. It's a little thinner, so it works better if you have strength issues in your hands. (arthritis, carpal tunnel, etc.) Sometimes you need that thick glue, though.

I recommend using a well ventilated room (windows open, fan blowing air out the window) or doing glue outside or in the garage with the door open. Both stink (E 6000 is worse) and glue fumes can make you a little high.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:00

So I take it a Wally World hot glue gun is not good enough?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:05

It might be. Is it low or high temp? Low temp is only good for delicate materials, otherwise high temp is the way to go. If you have one that cost around $15 or up, it's probably pretty good. I've had several of the cheapies and they leak like crazy. In fact, recently one leaked on my stomach and scarred it pretty bad.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
So I take it a Wally World hot glue gun is not good enough?
The one I have is the Ad Tech project pro from Walmart (little one) and it was inexpensive and works great! It has the pointed tip on it that makes it easier to get into smaller places with it! luvsfordpower (sorry I don't know your name) is right....it does leak glue once I sit it back down on my little wooden cutting board that I put it on. It will stop though after a second or two. I just have to get out my scraper thingy and get the globs of glue off of the board every now and then. Other than that, I have had it for a good while now and it is great!

luvsfordpower, so sorry to hear that it burned/scarred your stomach....OUCH!! Knock on wood, haven't been burned anywhere yet except the occasional finger tip burn!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:32

I like Fabri - Tac glue. I've only been using it for a short while now but -knock on wood- I haven't had any problems. It doesn't stink like E6000 does and it doesn't burn my skin if I get some on it. I would appreciate it if anyone has had problems with Fabri - Tac to let me know!

Thanks,

Debora
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53

I use the cheapy $2.50 one from Wal-Mart. I had bought the more expensive one from WM with the fine point tip. I think it was about $15. That thing leaked and spit and sputtered glue all over the place. It was a nightmare. I got fed up with it and went back to the cheapy and it works much better. I thought about getting a nicer one from a craft store, but am afraid to after my experience with the expensive WM one.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglee View Post
I agree too! I use a high temp glue gun and use it on everything I do and have never had a problem
Is the high temp. too hot when gluing grosgrain to alligator clips? Does it stain the ribbon? I've been using the low temp. and notice that sometimes the ribbon comes off.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links