http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:40

Default cuttlebug vs cricut

Trying to make an informed decision here. The cuttlebug will cut felt and I think the cricut will, too. Does anyone have an experience with either of these? What I do know is there is a huge difference in price, not only for the machine, but the supplies (dies) as well. Need to hear the good, the bad and the ugly

Thanks in advance for your input!

ISO: manners
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:14

there is also the sizzix that will cut felt i believe.

but i know nothing about any of them!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:14

My SIL has a cricut and loves it. I was just having a discussion with her about it on Saturday because I saw this lady was selling hair clips and they looked like they were cut out on one of those machines. It would be great to not have to hand cut ribbon shapes and all that. But them my SIL told me that the cartridges cost $60 each and they don't have that much stuff on them so that's a big investment.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakleyDaisys View Post
My SIL has a cricut and loves it. I was just having a discussion with her about it on Saturday because I saw this lady was selling hair clips and they looked like they were cut out on one of those machines. It would be great to not have to hand cut ribbon shapes and all that. But them my SIL told me that the cartridges cost $60 each and they don't have that much stuff on them so that's a big investment.

Wow, that is quite an investment...the machine itself is expensive...however, your SIL must be getting a good deal on her cartridges because some places I saw them for 79 and 89 dollars! Each!

ISO: manners
Old 01-01-2008, 11:53

Hello ladies...just saw this thread. For the last couple of days (lol, last year?), I've been emailing back and forth with the owner of CropStop Home

I'm gonna invest in a die cutter machine too (just for felt purpose and not scrapbooking). Anyhoos, we were actually convo-ing about the Boss Kut that she carries. Bla bla bla bla, she informed me that it's NOT the machine that one should worry about, it's the DIES that does the work.

Excerpt of her email to me:
Ah hah OK this is easy to answer without testing as it is the DIES and not the machine that cuts the felt, if they do! (The link was cutting paper but I will add the felt one in – thanks for the idea!!)
The machine works very similar to the Sizzix – why not buy a Boss Kut die and test it out in your Sizzix on felt I fully refund on all dies if you don’t like them or they don’t work as I have stated. You will need one of the adapters though to get the Boss Kuts to work in the Sizzix…………so that should save you 70 odd bucks huh?

So, I'm set on Sizzix as it accepts other dies as well.

hth and Happy New Year..

I'm not all that. I just like the last part.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:25

Alright I think I need pictures or somewhere to go for info on all of the above.
I've seen the Cricut and Cuttlebug at Hobby Lobby. They actually had two Cricut machines. One that cost 399.00. It had another word in it's title-cant' remember what it was. The other Cricut was 199.00. The Cuttlebug was 79.99. The Cricut looks to be electric while the Cuttlebug was manual. The die cuts for the cuttlebug were 5.99. That's all the info I "think" I know about these two machines. Now what is the Sizzix and the Boss Kut and which one will take the others die cuts?

BTW Hobby Lobby has 50% scrapbook punches (I was there today). I bought one in the shape of a flower to see if it would cut felt-haven't done it yet.

Someone please help with my confusion. I have a birthday this month and might want to ask for something like this.

Last edited by Rene R; 01-01-2008 at 05:49.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:38

Sizzix dies, cuts felt... and waaay cheaper than the Cricut. It was discussed in Lambs Group not to go with Cricut but Sizzix instead.

Also, when you read the Sizzix description, it stated it cuts felts... I'm betting it's the dies.

Not that I'm an expert with these dies but from what I read (descriptions and such), they're compatible with any major brand cutting machine by using a converter...They=> CB, Boss Kut, Sizzix etc dies.

I'm sure there's other sites that one can go to, research, but I went here (and the owner that I emailed to..nice lady)=> Crop Stop!, Your one-stop cropping solution

Old 01-01-2008, 03:42

oh...this is a video link she sent me to but of course, the video shows paper cutting. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

She did personally vouched that the Sizzix dies, cuts felt.

Darn! now i really want it but ugh! gotta wait till the 15th....lol

Old 01-01-2008, 05:06

I have the cuttlebug and I love it. The dies cut thru felt like butter. It also takes many other brand of dies. I have the quickutz system too, and the dies don't really cut felt. If you run them thru the cuttlebug a few times it will cut it enough so that you will only have to snip a few spots.

From my understanding the cricut will not cut felt. It only cuts paper up to a certain weight.

I'[m originally a scrapbooker and bought the cuttlebug after doing some research. It was a cheaper machine and I didn't really have to by any adapters for other die systems because everything you need comes with the initial buy. Plus, the dies are carried at Michael's Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's. They all put out coupons so I can buy the dies cheaper.

If you have a scrapbook store anywhere close to you. Go to the store and check out the die cutters. Most stores have them on display and will let you try it out.
Here is the link for the cuttlebug. You can also find the cricut on this site.
Provo Craft

Last edited by muldoon; 01-01-2008 at 05:07. Reason: added text
Old 01-01-2008, 05:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
I have the cuttlebug and I love it. The dies cut thru felt like butter. It also takes many other brand of dies. I have the quickutz system too, and the dies don't really cut felt. If you run them thru the cuttlebug a few times it will cut it enough so that you will only have to snip a few spots.

From my understanding the cricut will not cut felt. It only cuts paper up to a certain weight.

I'[m originally a scrapbooker and bought the cuttlebug after doing some research. It was a cheaper machine and I didn't really have to by any adapters for other die systems because everything you need comes with the initial buy. Plus, the dies are carried at Michael's Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's. They all put out coupons so I can buy the dies cheaper.

If you have a scrapbook store anywhere close to you. Go to the store and check out the die cutters. Most stores have them on display and will let you try it out.
Here is the link for the cuttlebug. You can also find the cricut on this site.
Provo Craft
ohhh..no wonder the CropStop owner asked me why I wanted to buy Boss Kut and not CB... Good to know that CB does cut.. Thanks so much for the infos...

Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies