New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:24

Question Sta-Flo Starch

OMG! I just used Sta-Flo starch on my bows for the first time last night and they are stiff! Anyone else use this?

My question is, when do you apply the starch? When the entire bow is complete but before hardware? OR Each piece of the bow individually before you sew them together?

Just to test it, I just did a bunch of individual 3" twisted boutiques and I love how it turned out, but they are so stiff and nice right now that I'm concerned that once I start adding pieces and sewing they will lose their shape. Hmmm???

One more question (sorr this is getting long)...
Do any of you starch your korkers again after they are complete? I always starch them before I bake them, but after seeing the results of the Sta-Flo I was wondering if it makes sense to give the korkers another round.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Amy

www.mycutiepea.etsy.com
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 08:51

Default Re: Sta-Flo Starch

I use Sta-Flo, too-but I don't use starch before baking. When I tried and then tried to heat seal, I always ended up with charred ends. So now I just bake, heat seal, assemble and then give a good dose of sta-flo. I usually let them dry for a couple of days and then re-shape.
I've found that it does leave a noticeable residue on organza ribbon, and sometimes black grosgrain, though.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:33

It was leaving a white residue on my dark color ribbons.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:40

I either bake my bows or starch them before I put them on the clip. I am sort of leaning towards the baking as they aren't so stiff as with the starch.
Beth
Old 04-03-2009, 04:45

I love, Love, LOVE Stay-Flo starch!!! Its all I'll use. I make my bow, bake, take out of the oven & turn it off, saturate with 50/50 stayflo/water, and pop it back in the (off) oven to dry for 10 min. I do each layer separately. then assembled after the starch process is done. That way my spikes are flat, my loopy surround layers are nice and rounded (I bake these in a little bowl to give them a curved bottom so the hug the loops well), and my bows have a flat base. And don't attach to a clip, put the center on or do anything with hot glue before baking. The oven will melt the glue and it will be a mess!

Ditto on the scorching in the oven and with heat sealing. I always starch after any heat treatment is needed.

Shelley

Old 04-03-2009, 06:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepea View Post
One more question (sorr this is getting long)...
Do any of you starch your korkers again after they are complete? I always starch them before I bake them, but after seeing the results of the Sta-Flo I was wondering if it makes sense to give the korkers another round.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Amy
I don't starch my ribbon before I put them on dowels to kork them, but I do use Stiffen Stuff after I've assembled the korker bow. It works very well for me.

Between "Life" and Homeschooling...
if I don't laugh...I'll start to cryMolly
Old 04-03-2009, 11:35

I've never baked my bows before only korkers. What temp and how long?

Also, I LOVE the idea of putting the surrounding loops in a little bowl to bake! That makes so much sense. I've always wondered how some of you get your loops to look so perky.

You are all such a weath of information! Thanks!!

www.mycutiepea.etsy.com
Old 04-04-2009, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepea View Post
I've never baked my bows before only korkers. What temp and how long?

Also, I LOVE the idea of putting the surrounding loops in a little bowl to bake! That makes so much sense. I've always wondered how some of you get your loops to look so perky.

You are all such a weath of information! Thanks!!
You're welcome . I do my bows the same as my korkers. 275 for 20 min.

BTW, the bowls I use are the ones from the Dollar Tree. They look like clear mini pyrex bowls and come in a package of 3. They're approx 3 inches in diameter.

Happy ribbon baking!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:49

I haven't tried baking my bows, but I will try it soon. I just got a shipment of ribbon in, so hopefully in the next couple of days I'll be trying it. I've taken a much needed break from bow making!!

Anyway, Re: korkers.

I roll them, spray them and then bake them. After I make the korker bow, I shape them and then spray them again. Before I ship them out I'll give them another once over with the starch.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:37

Where do you get Sta-flo starch? I use Stiffen Stuff and always have issues with the spray pump!
Sponsored Links