http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:44

Default What to tie bows with?

I have been using elastic thread to tie my bows with. I was wondering if anyone uses anything else? The elastic thread isn't very strong and I'm afraid it will break on a bow that I might sell. I really don't want to work with wire. Any thought?
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 12-13-2007, 07:47

I have tried alot of things- but LOVE LOVE LOVE dental floss. I buy the unscented wax. That way it slides- so I can adjust and make my bows even.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:55

I do love it for more then one reason. It's easy on my hands. Unlike wire. It has a thingy on there to cut it- so I don't have to grab the scissors every few minutes. It stays wound up- lol so I don't have to worry about that. Also- it's small, and almost see thru. So it's very easy to hide. And super strong too!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:27

i use dmc thread floss.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:13

now that is interesting about the dental floss, makes sense, too. I just bought some elastic thread but haven't tried it. I use embroidery floss because I have LOTS of it in all different colors left over from my cross stitch days. (I won't mention I still have some unfinished projects.)

ISO: manners
Old 12-15-2007, 10:09

I just bought some elastic thread. I plan on tying my bows with the elastic which will allow me to make adjustments. After I get it perfect, I'll use quilting thread (stronger than regular thread) to hold it for good. This should solve your concerns about the elastic thread breaking.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:18

okay, so yesterday I was experimenting. I tried the dental floss - used the glide kind, it is a little wider than regular floss and came from the dentist (you know those little samples) - it was too slippery! When I went to tie it, the ends just slipped out of my hands...perhaps another kind would work better.

Then I tried the elastic thread - it broke with my first tightening.

In another post someone mentioned they had tried organza but the 1/4 inch showed under a knot (and I tend to prefer knots) and the 1/8 broke.

So, unless I find another dental floss I'll still use embroidery floss. I don't pull the floss apart like for cross stitching. I use all six strands and since I have tons left over from cross stitching, I usually have a color that matches. Matching helps the color coordinating part of my brain. You know, like bra and panties being the same color, lol!

ISO: manners
Old 12-16-2007, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber427 View Post
I have tried alot of things- but LOVE LOVE LOVE dental floss. I buy the unscented wax. That way it slides- so I can adjust and make my bows even.

Oooo, Amber what a good idea. I am going to try that. I currently sew my bows, but am going to try this as well.

Joan- I have used embroidery floss and do like it also. Not expensive either- our local hobby lobby has it on sale frequently.

Last edited by Rene R; 12-16-2007 at 11:48.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:04

I was never told what to use to tie, so I went with one of my favorite crafting 'tools' - Button Thread!

I use it all the time for costuming projects, and it's thicker/stronger than regular thread, but doesn't bulk up the middle of the bow since it's thinner than crochet thread that I've heard of people using. JP Coats makes it in several colors and it's usually at the top of their display under the title 'Button & Craft' or something like that. Not that the thread ever shows, but my OCD self likes to use white for light colored bows and black for dark ones, lol.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg