http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:51

I found that if anything that is over 0.06% lead that it is not allowed to be sold for children. This is what the big matell thing was about because the lead content was higher than that. All s. crystal is 32-35%. could you image the severe side effects if a child were just to swallow one. I shudder just to think about it.
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 12-12-2007, 11:35

i have been usen the cheap rhinestones that came with my hotfix tool and i have to say i, and sarah my little girl are in love with the bling bling lol
Old 12-12-2007, 02:39

Can you use any type of gem/crystal with this hotfix tool, or do you have to buy a certain type? My husband wants to buy me one for christmas and I don't know what to tell him to buy?? what brand hotfix tool does everyone use? Is the BeJeweler the most popular?? Would love some suggestions. THANKS

Last edited by rn4picu; 12-12-2007 at 02:53.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:09

Got a reply from Swarovski today - here's the emailed explanation:

Dear Vicki,

Swarovski is the world leader in the manufacture of crystal for industrial and consumer applications including figurines and jewelry. Our proprietary formulas and processes are based on years of experience, and the quality of our products is recognized throughout the world.

Recently, there has been an increased regulatory focus on potential human exposure to lead from various consumer products, including jewelry. In 2006, the California Attorney General settled a lawsuit brought in his state alleging exposure to lead from jewelry. The court approved settlement agreement as well as the later legislatively enacted Californian AB 1681 established limits for lead in metals and several other components, with stricter standards for jewelry intended for children 6 and younger. Significantly, in recognition of the limited risk of availability of lead from crystal, the settlement agreement standards as incorporated under California AB 1681 allows the continued use of crystal without limitation in jewelry not intended for children. For children 6 or younger, up to 1 gram of crystal may be used in such jewelry. Swarovski crystals also meet the ASTM F963-03 standard on lead availability for toys.

Crystal has unique properties. While made with lead, the crystal manufacturing process creates a matrix which greatly retards the mobility of lead. By contrast, lead in other materials such as unplated metal containing lead may be available for surface exposures. Swarovski believes that the use of their products poses no significant risk to human health.

Several states have passed or are proposing laws to ban materials containing lead in various consumer products including jewelry. Swarovski is working closely with industry trade groups, regulators, and legislators to develop enforceable standards with consistent lead limits and which take into account the low accessibility of lead from crystal.

Thanks,
Kris
Old 12-12-2007, 07:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn4picu View Post
Can you use any type of gem/crystal with this hotfix tool, or do you have to buy a certain type? My husband wants to buy me one for christmas and I don't know what to tell him to buy?? what brand hotfix tool does everyone use? Is the BeJeweler the most popular?? Would love some suggestions. THANKS

bejeweler is what i have, as far as i know you can use any stone that states it is a hot fix stone.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:44

Thanks for sharing your email, Vicki! It is also nice to know they responded quickly (as they should!)

I don't have any of their crystals...does any one here have any? If so, could you please check the package and see what it says regarding the weight? If up to one gram of crystal is acceptable, we need to know how much one gram is!

Thanks!

ISO: manners
Old 12-12-2007, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Babies Bowtique View Post
Thanks for sharing your email, Vicki! It is also nice to know they responded quickly (as they should!)

I don't have any of their crystals...does any one here have any? If so, could you please check the package and see what it says regarding the weight? If up to one gram of crystal is acceptable, we need to know how much one gram is!

Thanks!
I just got some from hotfixqueen but they don't list the weight - will have to research it...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:15

What color is everyones BeJeweler?
Old 12-20-2007, 01:13

i notice some people asking about the lead in the crystals and what is safe ...(also some asked about the side effects... heres what i know.

a little boy swallowed a charm made out of 25% lead and died in his mothers arms less than 3 days later (25% is over 300 times the legal limit.) anothr thing to remember mainly when buying toys for your children. the only legal statute here in the us is the lead in paint statute. so since lead in found in other items such as small charms and trinkets, as well as some lunch boxes, and other plastic items, they are still not covered by any legal areas, unless they have paint on them. I went and bought a lead test kit from my hardware store (actually i bought five lol) they usually only have between 5-10 test swabs in them, but they run for $20 or around there. I freaked when i found out a toy my daughter had from fisher price had lead. I mean come on, its really scary when you have to be carefull of the top brand names in this country. They should just spend the extra money to have stuff produced here, then we wouldnt have this problem, and the economy might be a little better......sorry for the rant, but i got carried away. my littlest daughter chews on EVERYTHING! and since thats the most common way for lead to be trasmitted, i have been testing EVERYTHING she gets her hands on.... Ive been scared ever since ready those cases about the little kids.

anyways thanks for mentioning those crystals have lead, now im not getting those again, i can use glitter and a little glue to create bling for my bows....
Sponsored Links