new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:13

Default Hot Glue? Tutor needed!!

Do you think one brand of hot glue sticks is better than another? What do you recommend?

I have what I think is a really nice glue gun (Aleene's Ultimate Glue Gun) and the glue seems sooooooo lumpy; especially when I am lining clips. I don't seem to be able to get the ribbon on fast enough before it starts to set up.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:52

Default Re: Hot Glue? Tutor needed!!

I use the hot glue sticks that are in the floral dept for multi-temp guns... I set the temp on high... so far so good.

also temps are changing in our households with winter coming... if you are working in a cooler temperature than you were say 6weeks ago it will make a difference in how fast your glue sets up
Old 11-03-2008, 09:59

I have a crazy hot glue gun....lol...last week it literally was flowing glue I couldn't get it to stop. This week its back to working fine? It's CRAZY! I just have one of those cheap high temp guns from walmart I want to get a new one but can't seem to remeber it when I go shopping.

Ok back to the topic as I actually posted recently I am still trying to figure out how to not make mess with the glue

Old 11-03-2008, 10:01

I have a cheap walmart glue gun and buy the cheap walmart glue. What i do is glue sections at a time and spread the glue with the tip so it's not lumby.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecansofbeans View Post
I only use the ones that I get from the hardware store - high temp. I have had some really poopy sticks - from micheals and the like - I can't remember the brand but will find out and they simply dont melt - i can have a hardware store stick in there and it be running out and when i put in a micheals stick it stops coming out.
Not all glue sticks are the same. I will get the brand tomorrow but it's not at craft stores.
The ones that look white are the worst!

Thanks Lorraine. I'll check the post tomorrow. Hopefully I can find the ones you are talking about.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyhomemades View Post
I have a cheap walmart glue gun and buy the cheap walmart glue. What i do is glue sections at a time and spread the glue with the tip so it's not lumby.
If I can't find the ones Lorraine is talking about then I may have to try spreading the glue.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:12

I have the glue sticks from Michaels that are in the floral section: Surebonder all purpose stik.
I love them, they glue nicely, the only problem I have is that my gun oozes out glue sometimes once I plug it in, that's why I always have cardstock paper under where I place it on the table.
-Majd
Old 11-04-2008, 09:24

I have the Aleen's glue gun also and only use the Aleene's all purpose, dual temp sticks. I used a generic brand once, and I could peel the ribbon right away. It was horrible!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:44

OK, let me say this, no they aren't all the same, construction glue sticks melt better/smoother....but when lining alligator clips I learned a cool way to do it with very few lumps. I don't know if anyone will be able to understand, I won't be able to take pics until about Thanksgiving though because we are moving next week.

If you open the alligator clip and place the ribbon inside it where you would start lining, but don't put any glue in it, then take the glue gun and put the glue between the prongs and then smear it smoothly on the prongs and quickly lay flat your top piece, you are gluing the bottom and top at the same time and get far fewer lumps and a better hold because it's gluing the fabric to the fabric not just the metal (which glue can pull off of fairly easily). I always make certain to smear it flat with the tip of the gun when doing the sqeezy part and then do the same thing to the bottom of the clip if you are fully lining them ( I only partially line most of mine because it's easier to get into their hair that way).

Don't know if that made sense or not...If I get time before me move I'll take pics. No guarantees though.

Michelle and APB
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkirkley View Post
OK, let me say this, no they aren't all the same, construction glue sticks melt better/smoother....but when lining alligator clips I learned a cool way to do it with very few lumps. I don't know if anyone will be able to understand, I won't be able to take pics until about Thanksgiving though because we are moving next week.

If you open the alligator clip and place the ribbon inside it where you would start lining, but don't put any glue in it, then take the glue gun and put the glue between the prongs and then smear it smoothly on the prongs and quickly lay flat your top piece, you are gluing the bottom and top at the same time and get far fewer lumps and a better hold because it's gluing the fabric to the fabric not just the metal (which glue can pull off of fairly easily). I always make certain to smear it flat with the tip of the gun when doing the sqeezy part and then do the same thing to the bottom of the clip if you are fully lining them ( I only partially line most of mine because it's easier to get into their hair that way).

Don't know if that made sense or not...If I get time before me move I'll take pics. No guarantees though.
That sounds almost like what I do. I put the ribbon in between the two prongs (single prong clip). Then I put glue on the top of the top prong and lay the rest of the ribbon on top of the glue. Then I quickly open the clip and press the two pieces of ribbon together with the top prong in between so there are no lumps. Usually a little bit of glue will come out the sides. I do a quick finger swipe to get it off before it dries. Oh and I only glue a little at a time.
Sponsored Links