New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:55

Default Dying fabric

I posted this in the supplies section, but perhaps that was the wrong place???

Hi, my name is Lisa and I am new to the bow world. My journey began when my little girl was born last year with very little hair, lol.

Anyway, I have been making bowbands for her and I recently began selling them too. I would like to branch out and offer other colors. My question is, for those of you who work with knit/nylon headbands, what kind of dye do you use? I have heard that Rit is not the best because it's not really a dye (not sure about that, but that's what I was told), but does it work? I also heard that because I am still in my child-bearing years, I should stay away from most "real" dye's because they contain toxic chemicals. So, all of that being said, which brands do you use?

Last edited by madisonsmom07; 10-06-2008 at 01:00.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2008, 02:45

Default Re: Dying fabric

I have never dyed knit/nylon blend things. But I do dye my dd diapers and have read all about it on diaperswappers. Dylon is what I use. It dyes really vibrant colors and is pretty much fool proof. It's also easy to get Walmart, Hobby and Joanns carry it. (Although my local Joanns doesn't have it, I know you can get it in some stores and online.) Some ladies also use Dharma dyes, but I'm not sure where to get that locally. THey have tons of colors as well. Here's a link to the diaperswappers dye tutorial. Its fun to dye stuff. I love it, it adds color to dd dipes and I've done onesies too.
How To: Dye Using Dylon in Sink - Diaper Swappers - Cloth Diaper & Parenting Community

Amanda-WAHM to Mason (3) and Brooke (9mo)
Old 11-01-2008, 06:45

Check this out!!!

How can I tie dye with Kool-aid or food coloring?

Dye with food coloring or unsweetened kool-aid. I really like the neon food color drops with vinegar. Only 10 drops or so dyes several knee highs!!! I haven't tried kool-aid... yet! I think next time I *may* try it in the washing machine on the delicate cycle to see what happens...

I have done it & the colors are vibrant! Some of the nylons don't take dye evenly though. It kind of gives them a tie dye effect.

You can see them in my etsy: Shelleybeansbowtique.etsy.com

HTH!

Shelley

Old 11-02-2008, 06:20

I actually do alot of dye work, but only work with cotton. If you go to Dharma Trading Co. Homepage they have alot of great information and supplies. They can point you to the right dyes for nylon. Really fast shipping and great products. I have ordered all my blanks and supplies from them since 1990.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkinkkids View Post
I actually do alot of dye work, but only work with cotton. If you go to Dharma Trading Co. Homepage they have alot of great information and supplies. They can point you to the right dyes for nylon. Really fast shipping and great products. I have ordered all my blanks and supplies from them since 1990.
A friend of mine does professional dye clothes and she also orders from this company. I have made a bunch of things using the dye from this company (base on my friend's recommendation) and they have never run, I love their products.

My online store:

Sponsored Links