http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:49

Default Re: What brand of Stiffener?

I use stiffen stuff. I rinse the cap with hot water aftereach use. It helps. I diluted the last few drops that were left in the bottle. I didn't like it. I like mine stiff.

Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 08-22-2008, 12:03

Maybe I just got a really good Cheap spray bottle from WM....but I have used the same bottle for my starch since my DH first became a cop and wanted his uniform pressed to perfection about 7 years ago and it has never clogged!
Sam
Old 08-22-2008, 03:30

Hair dryer! And here I am just waiting for them to dry! Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:18

yep, I use a hair dryer as well b/c I just can't wait when I'm in the groove to make bows I need it ready ASAP.... =)
Old 08-24-2008, 09:58

Funny before I saw the reply about the stayflo I bought a big huge jug for like $3 at wal-mart. I forgot my spray bottle though so I have been using a huge bottle of Rave hair spray and it has worked great. I will try the stayflo too and see which I like better. I will also be using the oven and the hair dryer too. Great tips!! Thanks everyone!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:08

So I burnt my first batch of starched bows... It was the cutest white satin w/ lime & hot pink candy printed on it. I was so bummed. FYI The oven was @ 275 F and they were only in there for 7 min!!!

I remembered hearing somewhere that you could just wash the ribbon and start over, so I tried it. The bows weren't mounted yet, and they were just simple bows, so I washed them still assembled. Believe it or not, the starch seemed to be what scorched, not the fabric! I washed the scorched starch right off.

Oddly enough, the ribbon still held its shape too! (Yay for polyester chains!) So I turned the oven off, re-sprayed the bows and popped them in the oven (still hot, but no longer on). I was able to save my bows!

I just thought I'd pass this along just in case somebody else scorches their ribbon so they don't end up throwing it away. If white satin will come clean, I'd imagine anything would!

What temp & time do you guys bake your starched ribbon for?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:20

Smile Re: What brand of Stiffener?

I use Stiff n stuff and after my bottle clogged... after about 5 uses!! I went and bought a spray bottle from walmart. Works GREAT!!!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies