http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:36

Default Suggestions please!

My sewing machine freakin sucks!! Im not sure how old it is but Im sure its ancient. I spend more time fixing it than I do actually sewing. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of sewing machine to buy. Im new to sewing and love it and I think I will continue to sew in the future. So I would like to have something that is kind of in the middle, not too basic and not too over my head.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 07-03-2008, 07:41

Default Re: Suggestions please!

When we found out we were finally having a granddaughter, I bought a Brother at Walmart and it is fine ~ for now. Now that I am sewing again (after about thirty years), I feel like a beginner again and this machine has everything I need and was very easy to learn. That was about three years ago and we paid around $200. I have no idea what they are now.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:21

I have a singer, and I love it!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:27

yes I do too and I beleive it has to be about a hundred years old because it sucks. I think it came from Laura Ingalls Wilder. Joke of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britt1234 View Post
I have a singer, and I love it!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:33

Lol, mine is a little old, but it still works great! I would like to get a new one, but my hubby wont let me!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkw76 View Post
yes I do too and I beleive it has to be about a hundred years old because it sucks. I think it came from Laura Ingalls Wilder. Joke of course.
Well before you get rid of it, you might wanna research it. Older Singers are quite popular and collectible. Lots of quilters like them. I have a Singer Featherweight from like the 40's and my mom just sent it out to get it spruced up and adjusted. Only does a straight stitch, unless you have attachments but supposedly they are built to last. Part of me wants a new machine, but I think I will tinker around with this one and see how well it works for me. This one is similar to mine.
Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine 221-1 + Attachments - eBay (item 160255213247 end time Jul-03-08 11:50:51 PDT)

Old 07-03-2008, 01:27

What is your price range? You may want to check out different dealers. If you buy from a local shop they usually include free sewing classes. I am a Babylock/Brother fan. My machines are all babylock (except my embrodiery machine that's Brother). I think people tend to be "brand" loyal. I know that Sears has Kenmores that are made by Janome. I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about a Janome. We bought my DD's the little Hello Kitty Janomes and they're great intro machines (theirs only have like 8 stitches I think but my ODD is only 5 so she doesn't need more then that).

If you're just doing basic stitches the older machines (all metal) tend to be great "work horses."

HTH
Bren
Old 07-03-2008, 09:43

Mine "freakin sucks too" (love your phrase!),,,I was at WalMart the other day and saw one(I think Brother) for $137 that did so many things,,,the front of the machine was filled with different symbols,,,didn't know what half of them were,,,I have a cheap little machine (Kenmore) just a couple of years old that I got mainly for mending, etc....but now that I have seen all the cute things you ladies are making, I am sewing again for the GD's,,,,I would get the new machine, but what to do with the old machine?,,,Be sure to get one that automatically does buttonholes!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:21

I would do a search on google for product reviews. When I was searching for a machine, it seemed to really help me to hear the experiences that other people had with particular machines. I had my eye on a particular machine, but looked up that machine first before purchasing. Sometimes, the salespeople at the sewing machine stores don't tell you everything.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:44

There are lots of great review on this site

Sewing Machine, Embroidery Machinery & Serger Reviews - Reviews for Singer Sewing Machine, Brother Sewing Machine & Viking Sewing Machines at PatternReview.com

I agree about going to a sewing machine store for advice.
I personally like the Husqvarna/Vikings and some larger Joann stores have Husqvarna/Viking Dealers in the store.

I started with a Huskystar 215. They don't make them anymore but they still have similar models.
I want to say it was about $200. It was pretty basic but a great machine.

I like the Husqvarnas/Vikings because if you do decide you need to upgrade within a year they usually give you full trade in price to upgrade.
PLUS , when I got my machine they offer "FREE" classes that you can take as many times as you like within a year of purchase.

With my Huskystar they just offered 1 class.
Since I upgraded to a Scandanavia they have something like 4-5 classes I can take within the next year..everything from basic machine usage to embroidery.

Good luck!!

~*~Laura ~*~
Sponsored Links