key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:35

Default bling

I'm thinking of venturing into this unknown territory and would appreciate some advice/information. Do you prefer hotfix or just gluing them on. Is there a big difference btwn real crystals and the plastic other than the obvious price? Any recommendations on a hotfix tool? I'm sure I could think of more questions so if you have anything else to add it would be appreciated. TIA
Old 06-26-2008, 10:47

Default Re: bling

I don't use alot of crystals but when I do I just use the ones from wal-mart that you glue on. I had bought a bag of the hot fix from hobby lobby and ended up taking them back because they package said that they contained lead.

www.emilysbows.etsy.com
Old 06-26-2008, 12:26

I used to glue them on one by one and I just recently got a hotfix tool and I LOVE it. I've heard that the swarovski crystals stick better but I don't know. I do know they seem to stay really well though. I bought some cheap ones recently so I'll try those soon.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:52

I ONLY USE THE SWAROVSKI FLATBACK CRYSTALS FROM CRYSTAL INOVATIONS (?). TO ME (imo) NO OTHER CRYSTAL CAN HOLD A CANDLE TO SWAROVSKI . ....BUT IN SAYING THIS , I AM A HANDMADE JEWELRY VENDOR & I ONLY USE THAT CRYSTAL W/ MY JEWELRY . I HAVE MADE SOME ONESIES /BABY BIBS LAST FALL & USED SWAROVKSI ALSO . THE COLORS /SPARKLE MAKES A DIFF. AS FAR AS THE LEAD THING , AGAIN (IMO) AN INFANT IS NOT REALLY GOING TO CHEW ON THE ONESIE/ ENOUGH TO CAUSE HARM . I HAVE BEEN USING CRYSTAL W/ MY CHILDRENS JEWELRY FOR ABOUT 6-7 YRS & NEVER HAD A CUSTOMER ASK OR SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE LEAD ISSUE . THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL INFO.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLASMEME View Post
I ONLY USE THE SWAROVSKI FLATBACK CRYSTALS FROM CRYSTAL INOVATIONS (?). TO ME (imo) NO OTHER CRYSTAL CAN HOLD A CANDLE TO SWAROVSKI . ....BUT IN SAYING THIS , I AM A HANDMADE JEWELRY VENDOR & I ONLY USE THAT CRYSTAL W/ MY JEWELRY . I HAVE MADE SOME ONESIES /BABY BIBS LAST FALL & USED SWAROVKSI ALSO . THE COLORS /SPARKLE MAKES A DIFF. AS FAR AS THE LEAD THING , AGAIN (IMO) AN INFANT IS NOT REALLY GOING TO CHEW ON THE ONESIE/ ENOUGH TO CAUSE HARM . I HAVE BEEN USING CRYSTAL W/ MY CHILDRENS JEWELRY FOR ABOUT 6-7 YRS & NEVER HAD A CUSTOMER ASK OR SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE LEAD ISSUE . THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL INFO.
The only problem that I have with the lead is that I would only put them on hair clippies as that is all that I make. My baby takes them out and chews on them. That is my only problem. I do think they look nice though.

www.emilysbows.etsy.com
Old 06-26-2008, 06:14

I'm not 100% positive but I think I read in a few places that in order for the lead from the crystals to be harmful they would have to digest them - not just swallow (where they would come out the other end in one whole piece). I don't think that anyone could actualy chew them up or that a stomach would break them down. I'll look into this again as it was a concern of mine as well.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:16

So are you all saying that you can buy regular rhinestones that are hot fix and they stay fine? Where do you buy those? Do you feel they stay just as fine with hot glue or a different type of glue? I am new to thing bling thing too and have much to learn.
Thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:01

bump! I wanna know too! thanks!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylaur View Post
bump! I wanna know too! thanks!
I bought my Swarovski Hot Fix crystals at hotfixqueen.com- she has really good prices and a great selection.... HTH!!!

Jennifer Goins
Old 07-28-2008, 08:23

Going to look...I want to bling some things for DD.

http://www.bananabellebows.com
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg