printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets

Product Review--Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets Love your gadgets? Don't like it? Post your reviews (or link of review) here.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:06

Default Lead testing kit

I wanted to make sure the rhinestone sliders I use are safe. I purchased a kit that comes w several testing ampules. So I tested all my sliders & made sure the tests were accurate using the little control lead strips. Just to make sure the kit worked I used 1 of my husbands lead fishing weights and WOW did that sucker turn pink, it even tinted the weight pink! So I thought I would share this info w any other paranoid bow makers who want to make sure their products are safe
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2011, 08:00

Default Re: Lead testing kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandlysasmom View Post
I wanted to make sure the rhinestone sliders I use are safe. I purchased a kit that comes w several testing ampules. So I tested all my sliders & made sure the tests were accurate using the little control lead strips. Just to make sure the kit worked I used 1 of my husbands lead fishing weights and WOW did that sucker turn pink, it even tinted the weight pink! So I thought I would share this info w any other paranoid bow makers who want to make sure their products are safe
Where did you buy it?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:20

Amazon.com
Old 12-05-2011, 08:27

Unless they have changed the law, it has to be a 3rd party.

Holiday, Princess, ballet shoes.....

ALL PROUDLY MADE IN THE U.S.A.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:35

I know
I don't want to waste $ on 3rd part testing items I know won't pass
Old 12-08-2011, 03:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandlysasmom View Post
I know
I don't want to waste $ on 3rd part testing items I know won't pass

Good point! Great idea. Thanks. Any particular brand that you bought? I see a few out there.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesmoon View Post
Unless they have changed the law, it has to be a 3rd party.
A 3rd party *lab*, right? Otherwise I could just have my neighbor test stuff for me with a home kit. I was actually wondering about talking to the local high school science teacher about having the kids test some of my supplies as a class project. Ha!
Old 12-26-2011, 12:01

Interesting. I thought those lead test things were kind of expensive? Can you link to the one you bought? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleymom View Post
A 3rd party *lab*, right? Otherwise I could just have my neighbor test stuff for me with a home kit. I was actually wondering about talking to the local high school science teacher about having the kids test some of my supplies as a class project. Ha!
It's not about the products having lead, it's about them having too much lead so you'd need to know how many ppm they contain.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleymom View Post
I never mentioned or meant to have anyone think the test kits were a substitute to any new laws and testing requirements.

I in no way was even thinking about the new laws when I bought this kit. I wanted to know if the sliders were safe so I would know whether to even bother buying them or not. The indicator only turns pink if the item being tested is positive for a lead level amount that exceeds the standards set by the government. Go to amazon.com type in lead test kit and look for the kit. I paid $20 and got 10 testers.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies