http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect Tips for taking better pictures, using photo editing softwares.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:02

Question point and shoot?

How many of you own a point and shoot camera and use it for your models or product shots?

I have a diy lightbox and the whole shabang to make my pics look nice but I'm still not happy with the end result... is it just me or do I need to get a editing software?

currently using gimp and picnik, should I just spend the money on ps elements?

thank you all for your time..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 08:23

Default Re: point and shoot?

Unless I am trading, I use a point and shoot. I might upgrade some day, but I have been happy with the results. For product shots I ONLY use natural light right now. I can only shoot during certain times of the day which limits what I can do but I have been so much happier than trying to mess with artificial light! I just have a Samsung HZ30W that I purchased from Costco over a year ago. It's tricky to figure out what works for you and your camera but I wish you the best of luck!!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyschmancybyjeni View Post
Unless I am trading, I use a point and shoot. I might upgrade some day, but I have been happy with the results. For product shots I ONLY use natural light right now. I can only shoot during certain times of the day which limits what I can do but I have been so much happier than trying to mess with artificial light! I just have a Samsung HZ30W that I purchased from Costco over a year ago. It's tricky to figure out what works for you and your camera but I wish you the best of luck!!
Thank you Jen I was thinking of just doing natural lighting and editing with gimp my pics just don't look as nice as I want them yet.. I'll give it a try tomorrow.. I need to research the best time to take pics in natural light.. thanks so much for your time Jen! question do you do indoor or outdoor natural light? ty
Old 08-05-2011, 09:37

I use point and shoot. I throw everything in a box and bring it outside with a white piece of paper. I just sit in the driveway and shoot away. I use picnik to edit.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:57

I use a point and shot and a light box with 3 lights (all day lightbulbs). I do my editing in Photoshop Elements. I eventually want to upgrade but for just product shots I am happy.

Here is the link to my shop
http://www.shopsweetsprinles.etsy.com
Old 08-06-2011, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBow View Post
I use point and shoot. I throw everything in a box and bring it outside with a white piece of paper. I just sit in the driveway and shoot away. I use picnik to edit.
thank you.. I'll have to try it outside with the paper..

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdana1105 View Post
I use a point and shot and a light box with 3 lights (all day lightbulbs). I do my editing in Photoshop Elements. I eventually want to upgrade but for just product shots I am happy.

Here is the link to my shop
http://www.shopsweetsprinkles.etsy.com
Dana I officially envy you..good envy of course.. awesome shop and pics.. I was thinking of getting the elements.. I think I'm now convinced..

I'm having a hard time with the purples and this one is beautiful.. http://www.etsy.com/listing/78632710...ref=v1_other_2

did u buy the box or did you make it? if you don't mind can u show me one of your before and afters please..I'd really appreciated..

thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyna View Post
thank you.. I'll have to try it outside with the paper..

Dana I officially envy you..good envy of course.. awesome shop and pics.. I was thinking of getting the elements.. I think I'm now convinced..

I'm having a hard time with the purples and this one is beautiful.. http://www.etsy.com/listing/78632710...ref=v1_other_2

did u buy the box or did you make it? if you don't mind can u show me one of your before and afters please..I'd really appreciated..

thanks
Awww thank you! I am so proud of my lil shop right now, I recently changed business names and dropped my dead beat partner (sil) and things are going better than I expected.

I made my light box from the tutorial that is in the picture section on here. I just took the biggest square box I had (sometimes I wish it was bigger) and put tissue paper on it. At first I had a hard time with the paper ripping when I would move the box, I am considering using some type of muslin fabric but I dunno.

Purples are REALLY hard to get right, I can't adjust the white balance on my camera, they just have the different predetermined settings. I have a Kodak Easy Share 10 megapixel camera that I paid $100 for like 3 years ago.

Some pictures I have to tweak and edit a little bit more than others, I hate taking pictures of white items because I usually have a white background and its hard to make it stand out.

Anyways, sorry about the rambling, I'm at work but would love to share some before's and after's when I can get to them on my regular computer.

I believe you can download a 30 day trail of Photoshop Elements so you can get a feel for it. I got a special and only paid $80, not too bad, I still want to upgrade to CS5 but I don't have that much money to shell out.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyna View Post
question do you do indoor or outdoor natural light? ty
I use in door light. I have a couple of rooms in my home that get good light and so I open the windows, make certain that I don't have direct sunlight and shoot away.

Here's a tip that is very helpful I found while editing: instead of adjusting your brightness/ contrast, adjust your "curves" (located under the "color" section of Gimp). Made a HUGE difference for me, hope it helps you as well!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdana1105 View Post
Awww thank you! I am so proud of my lil shop right now, I recently changed business names and dropped my dead beat partner (sil) and things are going better than I expected.

I made my light box from the tutorial that is in the picture section on here. I just took the biggest square box I had (sometimes I wish it was bigger) and put tissue paper on it. At first I had a hard time with the paper ripping when I would move the box, I am considering using some type of muslin fabric but I dunno.

Purples are REALLY hard to get right, I can't adjust the white balance on my camera, they just have the different predetermined settings. I have a Kodak Easy Share 10 megapixel camera that I paid $100 for like 3 years ago.

Some pictures I have to tweak and edit a little bit more than others, I hate taking pictures of white items because I usually have a white background and its hard to make it stand out.

Anyways, sorry about the rambling, I'm at work but would love to share some before's and after's when I can get to them on my regular computer.

I believe you can download a 30 day trail of Photoshop Elements so you can get a feel for it. I got a special and only paid $80, not too bad, I still want to upgrade to CS5 but I don't have that much money to shell out.
thank you Dana.. I heard about your partner.. I wanted my sister to partner with me... I just needed her money I was going to do all the work but she said no so I'm slowly building my stash of supplies.. I like flying solo though.. I do what I want when I want..lol.. I'm gonna check out Elements and see if it's "Karyna" friendly..lol.. yes please when u get a chance I'd love to see a before n after.. I have a few more flowers to make for my bil's mom but when I'm done with it I'll take a pic, edit it n show you to see how it looks., I think some of my pics are way to over edited and some need editing but that could just be me looking at it like that..lol...

I made my own lightbox out of the same thread too, I think I need 1 more light I only have 2.. you know that means? a trip to my fav store.. Home depot..lol.. u know I was looking at a diy photography site and they have one made out fabric and pvc I think I'll be doing that.. thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyschmancybyjeni View Post
I use in door light. I have a couple of rooms in my home that get good light and so I open the windows, make certain that I don't have direct sunlight and shoot away.

Here's a tip that is very helpful I found while editing: instead of adjusting your brightness/ contrast, adjust your "curves" (located under the "color" section of Gimp). Made a HUGE difference for me, hope it helps you as well!
I have a huge window in my living room that gets really good light I never though about taking advantage of it dummy me..lol.. I'll have to try that. I just started looking at the gimp tutorials on yt but I think I know what you're talking about. I ask Dana to show me a before and after shot using elements can you share one using gimp please.. I appreciate all the help I can get .. I can do one with elements and one with gimp well 1st I gotta download elements (trial) and then I'll be to do both of them..lol..thanks for your help Jen!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:24

I had a P&S and then upgraded to a Cannon Rebel, sometimes you can tweak in PS and it still won't look right, that's what I used to do, but if you take a really good photo there is less editing to do and one saves time. I also had a light box, I found a good tut online and made one, but after upgrading my camera I no longer need it, or the light tent which I think I'm going to destash. I do have photography lights but that's for indoor shots. Like the two attached to this message.

This image was taken with my Cannon Rebel here
and this one too and I really didn't have to edit, just crop, which saves me time adjusting levels etc...

Plus I love my camera for family & outdoor photos. I'm actually getting a macro lens this weekend, because for some of my products I need a better depth of field and really want to get in close. If you can afford to upgrade do it, good quality images sell your products faster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cl_clippies.jpg (31.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg clippies_CL.jpg (43.0 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links