key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect Tips for taking better pictures, using photo editing softwares.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:29

Default Pricing Help

This is a custom order to match a little girls birthday dress. Each petal has been and picked and hand placed. Flower is hand sewn.

Any suggestions would be helpful...I'm very stuck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (112.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (91.7 KB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2011, 08:12

Default Re: Pricing Help

any help would be appreciated...need to get pics and price to her
Old 07-28-2011, 08:25

Mine run $6
Old 07-28-2011, 08:31

I think it depends how you price your brand, etc, I would say no less than $6 but you could charge up to $14 or more.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:04

Very cute!

I can only give an example of how I price MY stuff.
I pay myself $5/hour for hairbows. Then I add in supply cost & whatever fees I have to pay.

So for example: $5 for my time + $3.50 for supplies + $.50 for fees=$9.00 for hairbow.

I figure out the cost of my ribbon per inch when I buy it, price per clip & price per embellishment to calculate my supply cost. It might be extreme, but it works for me.

I would say figure out how much you think your time making it was worth & then add the supply cost to that! Don't sell yourself short.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbridgesboutique View Post
Very cute!

I can only give an example of how I price MY stuff.
I pay myself $5/hour for hairbows. Then I add in supply cost & whatever fees I have to pay.

So for example: $5 for my time + $3.50 for supplies + $.50 for fees=$9.00 for hairbow.

I figure out the cost of my ribbon per inch when I buy it, price per clip & price per embellishment to calculate my supply cost. It might be extreme, but it works for me.

I would say figure out how much you think your time making it was worth & then add the supply cost to that! Don't sell yourself short.
$5 an hour is not enough and I think that hurts the rest of the bow sellers. Your calculations seem really off to me $3.50 is A LOT for supplies, my large stacked boutique bows with fancy rhinestone sliders cost me about $2 to make and they are my most expensive bow (mini top hats and other items can be more expensive).

What about the time it takes to take and edit photos, post listings, reply to Etsy convo's, promote, etc. By the time you add everything else in you might be making $2.50 an hour, maybe. I think you are selling yourself short and hurting the rest of us.

I don't mean to sound mean, I am only trying to help, selling yourself short hurts everyone. Eventually you will get burnt out and tired of not making any money.

Personally I may myself $15-$20 an hour, which is close to what I get at my day job. It might seem excessive but I want to this to be something I can support my family on one day and I can't do that with $5 an hour.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:33

Smile Re: Pricing Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdana1105 View Post
$5 an hour is not enough and I think that hurts the rest of the bow sellers. Your calculations seem really off to me $3.50 is A LOT for supplies, my large stacked boutique bows with fancy rhinestone sliders cost me about $2 to make and they are my most expensive bow (mini top hats and other items can be more expensive).

What about the time it takes to take and edit photos, post listings, reply to Etsy convo's, promote, etc. By the time you add everything else in you might be making $2.50 an hour, maybe. I think you are selling yourself short and hurting the rest of us.

I don't mean to sound mean, I am only trying to help, selling yourself short hurts everyone. Eventually you will get burnt out and tired of not making any money.

Personally I may myself $15-$20 an hour, which is close to what I get at my day job. It might seem excessive but I want to this to be something I can support my family on one day and I can't do that with $5 an hour.
IMO, $5/hr is plenty for me right now. The above was only an example of how she could come to a price for her item, like I said it is how I price 'MY' items. I calculate everything from ribbon, to embellishments, to the amount of glue & thread that I use, sometimes gas is even factored in on a single bow.

Also, Maybe your market supports $15-$20 for bows...mine doesn't. If I tried to sell one of my simple bows for $20, I'd get laughed at, becauser people simply do not pay that much around here. While, my bows certainly could sell for more than what I price them, I'm just starting out in my business and I feel it would do more harm than good to price them that high. Like I said on another thread, maybe once I'm more established & get better a making bows, then I will consider raising my prices some. Even still, I will not price any of my hairbows for $20. I started making hairbows because I could not afford to spend $20 on a new hairbow for every outfit my daughter owns & I know plenty of Moms who feel the same. I make affordable bows. I've spent more than $20 on a single hairbow several times before, & while the hairbow was lovely, I cannot spend that much all of the time. It's just not practical.

And I'm not hurting any other bow makers. My customers like simple bows... They come to me for simple & classic bows that will last through several outfits & occasional OTT & OOAK bows. If they want OTT all of the time, they go to other bow makers, which is fine, I'm happy, they are happy...so how am I hurting anyone? :/
Old 07-29-2011, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbridgesboutique View Post
IMO, $5/hr is plenty for me right now. The above was only an example of how she could come to a price for her item, like I said it is how I price 'MY' items. I calculate everything from ribbon, to embellishments, to the amount of glue & thread that I use, sometimes gas is even factored in on a single bow.

Also, Maybe your market supports $15-$20 for bows...mine doesn't. If I tried to sell one of my simple bows for $20, I'd get laughed at, becauser people simply do not pay that much around here. While, my bows certainly could sell for more than what I price them, I'm just starting out in my business and I feel it would do more harm than good to price them that high. Like I said on another thread, maybe once I'm more established & get better a making bows, then I will consider raising my prices some. Even still, I will not price any of my hairbows for $20. I started making hairbows because I could not afford to spend $20 on a new hairbow for every outfit my daughter owns & I know plenty of Moms who feel the same. I make affordable bows. I've spent more than $20 on a single hairbow several times before, & while the hairbow was lovely, I cannot spend that much all of the time. It's just not practical.

And I'm not hurting any other bow makers. My customers like simple bows... They come to me for simple & classic bows that will last through several outfits & occasional OTT & OOAK bows. If they want OTT all of the time, they go to other bow makers, which is fine, I'm happy, they are happy...so how am I hurting anyone? :/
I wasn't suggesting you charge $20 for a bow, I don't it doesn't take me an hour to complete any of my bows.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:17

Ladies, ladies, please let's not go at it with one another. The fact of the matter is what you charge for a bow really has no bearing on anyone else.

Here is an example.....i was on a "posh" boutique sight and for a rolled rosette headband embellished slightly they were asking $36.00. Ok so the first ting I did was laugh.

I never made a custom order like this before a little guidance in price range.

Each and everyone one of us are at different places experience wise and location wise so prices are going to vary greatly.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:42

Most of my business is Satin Flowers.
My basic "Blooming Blossoms" are 8.00/piece. They are hand cut, hand singed, and hand sewn. Most are embellished with a single Glass Pearl.

Since you used a more expensive embellishment than that, I would suggest 10.

Hope that helps some!
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg