New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
Hip girl boutique 50mm grosgrain ribbon wrapped snap clips for baby girl, toddler, infant, newborn, adult, women, school http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
hip girl boutique christmas grosgrain satin ribbon collection for holidays

HipGirl Boutique Girls Women 6" Jumbo Large Cheer Bow Elastic Hair Tie Ponytail Holder for High School College Cheerleading (10pc Assorted Solids)

HipGirl 25pc Hair Bow Clips Headbands Gift Basket: Grosgrain Korker Ribbon Alligator Clips + Crochet, Ribbon Wrapped Headbans, For Girls Babies Teens Kids Toddlers Adults. For Pigtails, Ponytails

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect Tips for taking better pictures, using photo editing softwares.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:12

Default Questions about working w/photographer

I have many questions on what the normal practice is for trading products for photos.
I've been approached by some amateaur photogs..I say this in all kindness because I know these people have only just begun and recently as of Christmas purchased a nice DSLR and created a photo business on FB.

I was offered photos to use on my FB and or website of their child wearing a tutu onesie set that includes bows. I would get pictures and they would get the outift and bow for free.

So my question is why do some boutiques have modeling contracts and offer a discount of 25%-30% off the items being photographed? I'm confused as to whether offering the set free is normal or is it more standard to have a modeling contract they pay for the items in addition to giving photos? Maybe I'm wrong and the boutique purchases the photos but I'm just really confused on the proper way. I guess I don't want to be taken advantage of by giving stuff away and I definately don't want a photographer to think I want something for nothing. It needs to be a win win for both sides and I need to do more research and gather more information to see about how to get there. So what is normal..do you give a certain amount of product for a certain amount of photos? Please give me some advice. TIA!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 01-23-2011, 06:07

Default Re: Questions about working w/photographer

Yes I am curious about this as well. I mean if i offer them a outfit that I retail 45.00 for and someone else is giving them about 15.00 in bows how is that comparable so I am unsure of how this works too.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:30

You typically give the product in return for photos shot the way you ask them to be done. I have worked with dozens of photographers over the years. It can be fun.

If they are a reputable photographer they will have a site, blog or fb account set up with all of the info there for you. Either you agree to the terms or you don't.

There are some who will offer (this is typical anyway for some) to either do a trade - a regular one. Just product for photos. OR they offer to take x amount of photos modeled and send back for x amount per item.

Just ask them to link you to what they offer or their details. If they don't know then you can call the shots Tell them you'll set up an etsy trade (like a regular listing but with details in there about a refund when you get pics).. then you're covered for the loss.

Last edited by knottyspoolgirl; 01-23-2011 at 07:53.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclements73 View Post
Yes I am curious about this as well. I mean if i offer them a outfit that I retail 45.00 for and someone else is giving them about 15.00 in bows how is that comparable so I am unsure of how this works too.
My more regular toddler high key photographer (so far!) does outfits for either 5.00 per outfit OR a shoot @50$ for the session for up to x amount of shots during the session. this works well if you have a bunch of outfits at once. < If you want them shipped back afterward.

$15 in bows is comparable to $45 in outfit because it's a little easier to resell a bow because it's OSFA and it's easier to model. No outfit changes.
ALso when bow makers send they typically send more. I make accessories only and I send $200 retail in product while clothing designers tend to send $100. So it just works out. It's really up to the photographer and model, tho. As there may be some with other preferences.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26

very good information..thank you
Old 02-01-2011, 06:31

In my experience you can kind of make your own rules.

I have several friends who have nice pictures. Either they took them themselves, had a buy share photos after the fact or paid a photographer. If someone approaches them for pics they may politely decline or say I do not trade but if you would like to purchase this item and send me pictures I will refund a certain amount if I am able to use the pictures.

This protects you- what if you send a ton and never get a single picture. Or maybe you do get pictures but they're substandard.

If you ask a photographer to take pictures for you then you either work out a trade or fee.
Sponsored Links