http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/disney-minnie-mickey-mouse-ribbon-52yd-store.jpg zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/20pc-1.5in-petal-flower-clips-cm.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3-8-frog-grosgrain-ribbon.jpg cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
HipGirl 12pc Grosgrain Ribbon Wrapped 1/2" Headbands + Matching Large Hair Bow Alligator Clips. Interchangable Assorted Fashion Accessory for Girl Women Teen Kid Toddler Children Adult

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect Tips for taking better pictures, using photo editing softwares.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:20

Default Newborn Photography Opinions?

I've been doing a lot of "research" on photography lately, particularly for newborns (gee, I wonder why! ) and I'm looking for some opinions.

I never fully understood how much editing many photographers put into the pictures. And with that, I never really understood how much airbrush type editing was involved. Perfecting skin tones, removing blotches, softening the skin, enhancing the eyes, etc. Many of the professional photographer's blogs that I've read really harshly criticize what I'd consider to be more natural newborn photos. As in, they may show birth marks, redness in the skin (or yellow, since so many babies are jaundiced), dry skin, & so on.

So what I'm wondering is if it's undesirable to have raw, or not overly edited, pictures of newborns when it comes to product photography. And I guess for personal photography, too. I don't have the time or interest to learn how to use Photoshop to achieve the looks that seem to be in for photography right now. But I'm curious if I'm taking pictures of a baby for products if people would be turned off if they aren't "perfect".

P.S. I would post links to examples, but I don't have any of my own & I don't really want to post anyone else's work.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:23

Default Re: Newborn Photography Opinions?

I for one strongly dislike any airbrushing at all on newborn photos. I can always tell when it's been done. Yes, newborns' skin tends to be blotchy, but I think that's part of that whole stage. I much prefer a good black and white conversion over airbrushing to cover any skin issues.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40

when I did photography I used portraiture it is a product that smooths out skin but for a baby I used it on the default which was the lowest and I just took my paintbrush and picked out the nicest normal color of the babies skin and just blended the spottiness out to make it look better but not totally unnatural but it did look smooth and perfect. I don't like it overdone though. But, some of the clients like it very smooth and perfect.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31

I think you do need some sort of knowledge in photoshop, just taking photos raw won't get you far. There are so many things that just taking a picture won't do such as lighting, stray hairs, etc.

Im not a huge fan of a lot of airbrush, actually when I edit I barely use it. But I do mess with lighting a lot in photoshop because I don't own professional lighting.

So to answer your question, yes, I do think you need to learn a photo editing software. If you want to compete with other photographers. Plus a lot of people like the new vintage look.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:36

Some examples:
This was taken and edited by me, no airbrush was done. But I need edit the photo

Same with this one, no airbrush but the photo was edited

Old 01-18-2011, 08:54

I had my daughters pictures done by a professional that LOVES to airbrush EVERY imporfestion. My daughter has birthmarks on her forehead and its something that I've always loved(they are faded now) but she photoshopped them out. Something like that I would leave BUT something like cradle cap(IF you can take that out) I would. That isnt pretty when trying to sell a product.

In the second picture you can see her birthmark in the center of her forhead and her eye lids. I wish they were left out in the previous picture BUT, I'm NOT disappointed with the pictures. They are fantastic!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:20

I honestly love a well edited photo i think that you can over do it yes! I have overdone it many times and not meant to but i think overall it makes a better photo sometimes your lighting is all wrong or the eyes are all dark or with a bigger kid they have food on there face lol so you need to know how to fix those thing for a better photo picnik is actually really good if you dont want to go to crazy and really easy to learn i use to use it now i use photoshop...

here is a shot i took yesterday of a friends little girl i could have toned it down more but i like a dramtic look on my pics and this was a boring shot so i thought i would make it more interesting so first is right out of camera second is edited

whatever you do you have to like your own product we all have our own likes and dislikes and really with your photos it is 100% your choice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (19.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 015edit.jpg (30.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-18-2011, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetbowtique View Post
I honestly love a well edited photo i think that you can over do it yes! I have overdone it many times and not meant to but i think overall it makes a better photo sometimes your lighting is all wrong or the eyes are all dark or with a bigger kid they have food on there face lol so you need to know how to fix those thing for a better photo picnik is actually really good if you dont want to go to crazy and really easy to learn i use to use it now i use photoshop...

here is a shot i took yesterday of a friends little girl i could have toned it down more but i like a dramtic look on my pics and this was a boring shot so i thought i would make it more interesting so first is right out of camera second is edited

whatever you do you have to like your own product we all have our own likes and dislikes and really with your photos it is 100% your choice!

I agree and the edited one looks a lot better.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:08

I would not be turned off but I do think that it may certainly distract me from the product being featured..ykwim? ..I think there are probably some softwares out there that may be alot more user friendly than you think.

My BIL takes pics..he has a really cool program with his mac book..it is like a mouse pad with a pen and he can touch the pen to any imperfection (zit..lol) in a photo and it's very easy..I'm sure this comes with a hefty price though but also seems to be a very easy program to work with.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09

Just my opinion but I have to agree that a well edited picture is key. Snap shots are fine for every day use but if I'm going to pay a photographer I'd expect them to capture the "best" which includes helping even skin tones and improve lighting.

I think the difference between a pro and amature can truely be in the editing. You don't want to over do it and take away what makes them them but you don't want your photo to look like a child could have grabbed a digital and hit the button. Kwim?

With all that said you want the focus on your product not a crazy huge pimple or something
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif