Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect Tips for taking better pictures, using photo editing softwares.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:40
Default Re: Newborn Photography Opinions?

Thanks for the opinions, ladies!

I guess I should have said that I'm not in any way against editing. I specifically do not know how to use Photoshop, but use other editing programs. I just don't have the interest in learning the ins & outs of Photoshop specifically as it seems like a lot more than I'm willing to take on (timewise & financially, it's not cheap!). Raw was the wrong word, I'm not going to post SOOC pictures of my products, just undecided on fixing all the "flaws" when it comes to newborns, KWIM?

Definitely not a professional photographer here, just going to be taking pictures of my own children & utilizing my newborn for product shots, since they're hard to come by sometimes!

Thanks again for the input.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2011, 12:02

For family pics, and albums, I would prefer a photographer not to airbrush over distinguishing characteristics, but if you are using the shots for product photograph, the edited is better.

Quite honestly, I would rather any pics that are published online do not look 100% like my children anyway. Just my opinion I don't trust people...

All of my tutorials are now available through my etsy store.

Check out my Tutorial Album on Picasa.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:57

For the newborns that I photography, I clone out scratches, blemishes, super blotchy skin. I don't like the super smooth portraiture look though. I always leave birthmarks.
I uploaded an example before and after from my last newborn girly - headband by Misty Days Boutique
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6732.jpg (37.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6732a w.jpg (298.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-05-2011, 07:22

erin, im a big fan of your work and love all your photos! I'm new to photography and have a 5 month old baby girl. I take pics of her all the time and SOOC is just not enough, how can I learn to produce that newborn professional look? is there a class for it? or is it just a matter of learning photoshop and fiddling with the pictures?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:20

I didn't take any classes. I just played with photoshop a lot. I use actions, but tweak the heck out of them. Playing with an action's layers can help you learn what different adjustments do to an image.

Try to get good exposure - I shoot RAW and tend to underexpose SOOC.. I fix it in RAW if needed and then edit in PS.

Remember composition, watch for limb chopping, get on the level of your subject.

For editing, make sure you defog your images (unsharp mask). That will sharpen your image. To fix blemishes, use a soft low opacity brush using the eyedropper tool to select the skintone .. or use the clone tool at low opacity.

If you're interested, I could send you a few helpful actions. PM your email if you want
Old 03-04-2011, 03:06
Smile Re: Newborn Photography Opinions?

I myself do not use Airbrush,but do the following edits when needed or asked.But easy things(dry skin,acne,stray hairs are easy to remove and leave natural)

I only charge $20 for editing up to 20 photos.
Can edit the following:
Weight loss
Stray hairs
Teeth Whitening
Under eye circles
Correction of facial features(partial closed eye,correct smile)
Shades of color(Black and white w/one color object)
This also includes 1 to 2 Collages as well as Digi Backdrops-more as well...Contact for more info.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:58

I like both...for personal use I like newborns just the way they are....blotchy or not.

For professional photos...I don't think I'd be distracted by a natural picture but I will admit that an airbrushed, fully edited pic would probably grab my attention more (like when surfing Etsy, etc)
Old 03-04-2011, 06:14

I do very minimal editing on my newborns. Here's a before and after. I sharpen if necessary, adjust color and contrast, and sometimes smooth, but never overly so. I can't stand plastic looking babies. I try to keep my editing as natural as possible.

Sponsored Links