New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect Tips for taking better pictures, using photo editing softwares.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:35

Default ATTN Photographers, advice/tips please!

Here are some pictures I took today of my daughters in some new pillowcase dresses I made. I am feeling pretty good about my indoor photography skills - but I'm not all that excited about my outdoor pictures. Any advice, tips, tricks?
Its a teensy bit hard to get the girls to sit still at this point, they are just learning to crawl, so I just hold the button down and take a bunch of pictures and hope a few are good. And as you can see from the last picture, they were way more interested in eating the grass than letting me take pictures of them. LOL
I realized that the grass looks pretty awful after I took the pics - so obviously I need better back drops!
What about lighting, is it better to have the sun behind your subject when you are outside? Or is it better in the shade?
I have a Nikon D3000 and two different lens and I know it does way cool stuff but I have no idea what that stuff is.
I think I need to take a class.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1303.JPG (164.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1309.jpg (40.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1322.JPG (150.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1332.JPG (140.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1317.jpg (45.5 KB, 45 views)
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 01-19-2010, 11:01

Default Re: ATTN Photographers, advice/tips please!

I think they look great. I took a 12 week course on line last week for free and I learned so much.... I you want the linkpm me and i will get it to u in the am.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:16

Do you use manual? If not then you should. I don't think you need class. You just need to shoot and learn from them. And read/research online, this is how I learn. There's a lot of info out here on the net and a lot of nice people who will share and help newbies. Join flickr they have tons of groups you can join and learn from. Also buy 50mm 1/8 lens if you haven't. This lens is so cheap, but takes great pics. It takes sharp and crisp pictures. It took me about 2 yrs to be comfortable with my camera, I know lots of ladies who learned faster than me. So just go out there and shoots...and shoots lots more.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:15

They look good. I usually don't face the sun when I take a pic I find that my pics are brighter if my subject faces the sun and the sun is behind me. Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:55

The class i said is not really a class per say..... It is broken down into 12 weeks and I printed all 12 weeks and read them as I please. I read the manual on my camera and learned a lot but I feel thar this course was the icing on top with it's pictures and samples.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:23

That last picture cracks me up
Old 01-20-2010, 09:55

Definitely start using manual mode and if you only got "kit" lenses you will probably need to get a 50 like stated above.

What time of day were you shooting at? She has really harsh shadows on her face. You would want to try and avoid that. It's better to try and shoot in the morning or later afternoon when the sun is not so harsh.

You could also go buy foam board (i think that's what it's called) to reflect the light to her face. If the sun is to her back and you put the board in front of her the light should reflect on her face and brighten it up a bit. The board is acting as a reflector.

If you really want to take it to the next level you could do a custom white balance.

If i could go back and learn things over i would definitely try and learn these things (you can do it all through googling)
1. manual mode for your camera
2. learning how to get correct exposure
3. white balance
4. reflecting light

Hope this helps!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaro11 View Post
Definitely start using manual mode and if you only got "kit" lenses you will probably need to get a 50 like stated above.

What time of day were you shooting at? She has really harsh shadows on her face. You would want to try and avoid that. It's better to try and shoot in the morning or later afternoon when the sun is not so harsh.

You could also go buy foam board (i think that's what it's called) to reflect the light to her face. If the sun is to her back and you put the board in front of her the light should reflect on her face and brighten it up a bit. The board is acting as a reflector.

If you really want to take it to the next level you could do a custom white balance.

If i could go back and learn things over i would definitely try and learn these things (you can do it all through googling)
1. manual mode for your camera
2. learning how to get correct exposure
3. white balance
4. reflecting light

Hope this helps!
Are you talking about regular foam board you get at Walmart or someplace like that, its in the paper supply section?
My lenses say 18-50mm and 50-200mm. Is one of those what I need? LOL I feel like I'm speaking a different language talking about this stuff.
I'll be googling tonight for sure!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:09

Get 50mm 1.8 from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nik...4003723&sr=8-2

And you can the foam from dollar tree. It should be in books aisle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2-4 View Post
Are you talking about regular foam board you get at Walmart or someplace like that, its in the paper supply section?
My lenses say 18-50mm and 50-200mm. Is one of those what I need? LOL I feel like I'm speaking a different language talking about this stuff.
I'll be googling tonight for sure!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:13

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend you. I should say though everybody learns differently. I should say what I wrote is what works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilHiccups View Post
The class i said is not really a class per say..... It is broken down into 12 weeks and I printed all 12 weeks and read them as I please. I read the manual on my camera and learned a lot but I feel thar this course was the icing on top with it's pictures and samples.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies